Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

SuperValu bit off more than they can chew when they bought out Albertson's Shaw's parent company in 2006.

TRJ22487

I stopped shopping at Shaws last year. Easily the worst supermarket in my town. (as well as the oldest)
They cannot compete with Price Chopper, and a new Market Basket is being build headed towards West Swanzey/Winchester NH
The only Shaws I ever go to anymore is the new Peterborough NH location
If I'm headed home from the Mall of NH or Fox Run Mall in Nashua, we might stop there to get a few small groceries.

kendra

Shaw's isn't the company that it used to be, and really hasn't been since Albertsons bought the company from J Sainsbury in the early part of the last decade. Only time will tell, but things certainly don't look good at the moment.

gu4ever

Quote from: kendra on March 27, 2010, 10:15:30 PM
Shaw's isn't the company that it used to be, and really hasn't been since Albertsons bought the company from J Sainsbury in the early part of the last decade. Only time will tell, but things certainly don't look good at the moment.
I agree, Shaw's was my grocery store of choice years ago.... Sadly they drove me and half the city of Manchester away from it's fairly new proto-type store. Also the picketers out front as of last week kind of makes you not want to shop there either.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Marc82

Most (if not all) the Shaw's in Connecticut are now closed. There maybe one or two than are remaining until next week. They had a 15 year run in Connecticut. The 5 being taken over by Stop & Shop supposedly are reopening in a week or 2. The ones taken over by Shoprite - not sure yet.

I remember when Shaw's opened in 1995 in my hometown of Bristol. I thought it was the neatest thing that they had the sit-down food court. I had never seen that in a grocery store before.  However that was gone less than 5 years later. The Bristol store was small and cramped. At 54,661 sf (according to the landlord's website) it was small. They did some remodeling. Sales dropped quite a bit when Price Chopper opened next door.  Sometime between the time I transferred from the Bristol Store to the Southington Store in September 2004 - and 2007 they removed 3 registers going form 13 down to 9. Calabrese Realty's website says Shaw's holds the lease until 2016.

New Britain Shaw's was much bigger. It was just over 65,000 Square feet according to the website for Calabrese Realty - the company Shaw's has for their closed stores in Bristol, New Britain, Waterbury, and  Southington (now leased to Drost Family Shoprite).  I liked the New Britain Store because it was spacious, but at the time of their closing in October 2006 they could've used a remodel. Calabrese's website says Shaw's hold the lease until 2016.

The Southington Shaw's opened in November 1996 in the former Edward's location. According to the website for Cornerstone Realty the owner of the Southington Plaza the store was 60,000 Square Feet. It may have been, but to me it seemed smaller than the Bristol store. It certainly didn't have the volume of sales that they had in Bristol and New Britain. The store was in need of a serious remodel and never got one.  When they took over Edward's basically they shut the store down for a week changed all the signs and the registers. In 2006 they began slowly upgrading the store. Starting with painting the Foyer to the store Tropical Green. They also painted the bathroom that color. (Painting the store with my co-workers was fun). They also painted the service desk Tropical Green and Tropical Orange. (much to the horror of the Service Desk Associates).  In June 2006 they moved the floral department into space that was used as People's Bank when the store was Edwards) that sat mostly empty for much of Shaw's existence. It was briefly leased to a cell phone store. After they evicted the cell phone store in 2005 I was one of the employees in charge of cleaning out the place. You would not believe the amount of stolen merchandise I found in there. In August 2006 (3 months after I quit - er walked out) they announced the store was closing. (Something that had been rumored for years). Shaw's corporate has approved million dollar upgrade as did parent company Albertson's. Then Albertson's got bought by SuperValu and they nixed those plans. As did a dispute with Cornerstone Realty the landlord. - Shaw's was gonna spend at least a million dollars upgrading the store. Cornerstone wanted Shaw's to pay to upgrade the parking lot - repave it, fix the drainage, etc. Shaw's told them to take a hike. In addition Cornerstone wanted them to commit to a 10 year lease. (They had been on a year to year lease until 2006. Then month to month), but Shaw's would only commit to 3. They felt just because they upgraded the store didn't mean it would translate into more sales. Shaw's signed a 10 year lease in November 2006 just days after they closed down in October 2006. Ironically the landlord has since repaved part of the parking lot and fixed the drainage problems. The Shoprite Project is temporarily delayed as they get ready to move their Meriden Store into the Wallingford Shaw's.

Shaw's had committed to a location in The Brass Mill Commons portion of the Brass Mill Mall Complex in Waterbury, Connecticut. Construction delays delayed the opening of the project to 1997. Wanting to serve customers in Waterbury they bought the Waterbury Edwards on Wolcott Street in 1996. They operated there for 8 months. Then they along with Toys R Us in the same Plaza and a Barnes & Noble Book Store  up the street all moved into The Brass Mill Commons. The Plaza fell into dis-repair and remained that way until late 2002 when Price Chopper announced plans to open a store in the former Shaw's. That's when the landlord completely overhauled the plaza. Price Chopper and AJ Wright opened in Early 2003. Additionally the landlord built more stores that housed Casual Male Big & Tall and one ore two other stores. Today the plaza is successful and is completely occupied. Price Chopper closed in 2008 and the site was take over immediatly by Shoprite which had moved from Mattatuck Plaza down the street. (The new spot is bigger and featured cheaper rent). Today the plaza features Shoprite, AJ Wright, Petco, Sleepy's, Royal Chinese Buffet (the best Chinese Buffet ever), American Steakhouse (similar restaurant to a Ponderosa), Causal Male XL, and Gamestop (one of 5 in the city). In addition a new free-standing Taco Bell was built in 2009.

Another story. Across the street from this plaza was The Naugatuck Valley Mall. Along with MallView Plaza. The mall spent year dying and when Brass Mill opened across the city that was pretty much the death sentence for The Naugatuck Valley. General Growth owners of Brass Mill even bought the property and demolished it. A huge new shopping plaza - The Naugatuck Valley Commons was built on the site. Owned by Developers Divrisifed Realty. I recall an article in the Waterbury Newspaper talking how they completely overhauled that site and it looked beautiful in stark contrast to the run down plaza across the street.  Now if only they'd redo the KMART Plaza it would dramatically improve that section of Wolcott Street. Of course in my opinion KMART is part of the problem. The inside is nasty looking and painted mis-matched colors plus they're now trying to sublease part of the store that used to house the auto center.

http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/portfolio/oaklandcommons/pic1.jpg - A nice picture of The Bristol Store when it was open from the landlord's website.

http://www.calabreseagency.com/images/231_Shaws_7449_Front.jpg - The closed New Britain Store. Picture from Calabrese Realty's Website.

http://www.calabreseagency.com/images/231_Shaws_Waterbury_PIC_.jpg - The Waterbury Store. It appears the store was still operating when the picture was taken. Picture from Calabrese's Website. 55,000 Square Feet. Shaw's hold the lease until 2025.  :o

TRU7536

I just went on Shaws website and these are the only stores left opened in CT as of 03/28.

*Darien
*East Hampton
*New Fairfield
*Vernon
*Newington

I remember walking into the newington store last night and some dude was taking the registers down. Arent these the stores becoming Stop and Shops?

Marc82

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 28, 2010, 12:02:43 PM
I just went on Shaws website and these are the only stores left opened in CT as of 03/28.

*Darien
*East Hampton
*New Fairfield
*Vernon
*Newington

I remember walking into the newington store last night and some dude was taking the registers down. Arent these the stores becoming Stop and Shops?

Yes. Those are the ones becoming Stop & Shop. They'll close for a week or two and then reopen as S&S.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on March 28, 2010, 03:07:07 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on March 28, 2010, 12:02:43 PM

*Darien
*East Hampton
*New Fairfield
*Vernon
*Newington

Yes. Those are the ones becoming Stop & Shop. They'll close for a week or two and then reopen as S&S.

So Stop and Shop wouldnt renovate the stores? Because last time i checked, Stop and Shop looks nothing like a Shaws (format wise). Just seems weird.

standa

The only Stop & Shops I went to that were previously other supermarkets were in Derby (now Adams), and Seymour, CT (now Ocean State Job Lot).  These were previously Klarides.  They did not have the Stop & Shop layout, just Stop & Shop signage.  I guess Stop & Shop may not renovate acquired stores much before it decides whether to keep them long term.  Is anyone familiar with the Stop & Shops in Centennial Plaza, Meriden or Somerset Square, Glastonbury?  These were once Edwards.  Were they renovated much before they first opened as Stop & Shop?

AmesNewington

Quote from: standa on March 28, 2010, 05:05:00 PM
The only Stop & Shops I went to that were previously other supermarkets were in Derby (now Adams), and Seymour, CT (now Ocean State Job Lot).  These were previously Klarides.  They did not have the Stop & Shop layout, just Stop & Shop signage.  I guess Stop & Shop may not renovate acquired stores much before it decides whether to keep them long term.  Is anyone familiar with the Stop & Shops in Centennial Plaza, Meriden or Somerset Square, Glastonbury?  These were once Edwards.  Were they renovated much before they first opened as Stop & Shop?

What I think S&S should do with the Newington store is keep the store open in the Shaws space until Elmwood is open later this year and (while unrealistic) transfer the entire staff over to Elmwood instead of hiring new help. It would probably never happen, but if S&S will invest very little in the purchased Shaws stores, than I don't see why not. Both Newington and Vernon are 1996 stores, so they have aged and need repair. Plus Newington doesn't need another S&S, we need another store altogether. Wethersfield S&S is getting a renovation this spring anyway.

Marc82

Quote from: standa on March 28, 2010, 05:05:00 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Stop & Shops in Centennial Plaza, Meriden? 

It's small, cramped, and run-down. The one time I was in there, it wasn't that busy and including the self-scan registers they only had 9 registers. If they insist upon having 2 stores in Meriden they should move into the former Railroad Salvage building in the same plaza. After all they control that lease.

DerangedHermit

Quote from: TRU7536 on March 28, 2010, 03:31:45 PM
So Stop and Shop wouldnt renovate the stores? Because last time i checked, Stop and Shop looks nothing like a Shaws (format wise). Just seems weird.

They managed to do this in a week at the Shirley, NY store, switching from a Waldbaums Fresh Market to Stop & Shop decor.

BillyGr

While the few S&S stores in this general area (Western MA) have always been S&S as far as I remember, on the same topic Price Chopper did the same thing when they took over some Grand Union stores back during the bankruptcy.  They did some basic work (cleaning up, maybe moving a few things around, changing out store brands, changing signs, making sure all stuff was current and not expired, changing registers and things like that) but no major remodeling or re-setting.  They have since done some additional work on these stores in the normal way (while open) but not a lot.
These stores I'm thinking of are mostly smaller GU's anyhow where a major pattern change would be difficult due to limited space - the exception being one in Albany with the "island" deli/hot foods in the front middle and pharmacy in the front corner, both of which it still has to this day.  They also managed to do what remodeling they did while keeping the pharmacies open and accessible to customers (not too difficult as they are fairly close to the doors in both cases I can think of, not requiring people to access much of the store - this would be one time having a prescription would be good in order to be able to go in and see what they're doing).

On the other hand, the one store that Hannaford took over from Grand Union in the area went through the normal "Store Closing" including marking everything down to sell it off and cleaning out the store totally then re-opening it a few weeks later as a Hannaford.

DerangedHermit

When S&S took over that Waldbaums, they changed the locations of items to their liking, but didn't do any major moving of departments. They added a prepared foods bar in the front of the store, and replaced the shelvings and decor. They kept the selfscans, and removed the registers and put in their own.

This company does it FAST. I saw in their company magazine that they remodeled a store in three days.

standa

At this time of Shaw's selling of stores in CT , it is interesting to remember the most recent other major sell off of supermarkets in CT, about 14 years ago, and take note which of the stores are still open under the owner which got them in 1996.  I know that Bozzuto (Adams) ended up getting Watertown, and Shaw's Southington.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/ahold.shtm

d_fife

Quote from: standa on March 30, 2010, 04:29:50 PM
At this time of Shaw's selling of stores in CT , it is interesting to remember the most recent other major sell off of supermarkets in CT, about 14 years ago, and take note which of the stores are still open under the owner which got them in 1996.  I know that Bozzuto (Adams) ended up getting Watertown, and Shaw's Southington.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/ahold.shtm

but why are all the CT ones closing? and why did they close the Gorham NH one, why when they just have a Super Walmart and an IGA thats tiny in neighboring Berlin?

AmesNewington

Just visited the Shaws in Newington, CT for the last time. The last 5 stores in CT close Wednesday. I spoke to one of the employees there and they said S&S will for sure open on April 17th. They will remodel the store to suit their operations (not extensively; probably a much needed "fix up" of the interior) and possibly add a bank once again. The pharmacy will remain open during the two week closure period. The best part is that nearly all of the employees in the Newington store will stay when S&S opens (likely the same with Vernon, Darien, E. Hampton and New Fairfield). I'm happy they are keeping their jobs. They are all friendly and it will be nice to have that familiar aspect continue in its S&S days.

S&S sure moves quick. It will be interesting to see what they can do to this location in just two weeks of the Shaws closure.

Also, I just find it ironic how everyone kept thinking the Newington store would close for the past five years or so and after all the closings in the past, the store is one of five that remain open the longest.

TRU7536

I just got a flyer from Stop and Shop stating the granding opeing is Friday the 16th and 6am. I drove by today and they had tons of dumpters outside of shaws.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 09, 2010, 02:37:54 PM
I just got a flyer from Stop and Shop stating the granding opeing is Friday the 16th and 6am. I drove by today and they had tons of dumpters outside of shaws.

I was told the wrong date. Makes more sense to open on a Friday, with the new sale and all. I visited the Newington store on Monday, went by the store and took pictures on Wednesday, went by yesterday and today after work. Stop and Shop is on the ball. Yesterday the Shaws signs were still on the building and today they're gone. From what I can see, they will probably pull the job off in a week. The parking lot is full of cars belonging to the S&S work crew. Sadly, it's the fullest the lot has been in many years.

As I said, I took pictures of the exterior of the store. I will post soon.

standa

Does anyone know when the Shoprites in former CT Shaw's will open?  All I know is that Shelton will open Wednesday, April 14.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 09, 2010, 03:16:35 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on April 09, 2010, 02:37:54 PM

I was told the wrong date. Makes more sense to open on a Friday, with the new sale and all. I visited the Newington store on Monday, went by the store and took pictures on Wednesday, went by yesterday and today after work. Stop and Shop is on the ball. Yesterday the Shaws signs were still on the building and today they're gone. From what I can see, they will probably pull the job off in a week. The parking lot is full of cars belonging to the S&S work crew. Sadly, it's the fullest the lot has been in many years.

i just drove by today. They redid the vinyl to the typical Stop and Shop color.

As I said, I took pictures of the exterior of the store. I will post soon.

AmesNewington

Shaw's in Newington, CT (store #206/7450) on its last day (4/7/10).

AmesNewington

Shaw's in transition to Stop and Shop (4/9/10) in Newington, CT.

vtguy1989

I heard that Shaws in Berlin, Vermont is going to close and Walmart would like to build a super center there. Staples is also part of the plaza. I guess Staples will be moving to the exisiting Walmart.

d_fife

Quote from: vtguy1989 on April 20, 2010, 08:00:37 AM
I heard that Shaws in Berlin, Vermont is going to close and Walmart would like to build a super center there. Staples is also part of the plaza. I guess Staples will be moving to the exisiting Walmart.

rumors rumors rumors

gu4ever

April 2010 sighting of a Star Market trailer.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on May 02, 2010, 06:49:29 PM

I93 heading to Lounderry?

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on May 02, 2010, 07:29:33 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on May 02, 2010, 06:49:29 PM

I93 heading to Lounderry?
Yes, before exit 5 in the southbond lane. Caught me by surprise, but made me glad I always pack my camera now.

Bdubs

The Stop&Shop in East Hampton, formerly the Shaw's of course, has barely changed their layout.  Aside from putting new registers in, and making everything purple with the new signage in and outside, it pretty much all stayed the same.
The store was built in 06, so renovating it probably made no sense anyhow.  Also for efficiency they kept it simple for the changeover.

The Pharmacies stayed open throughout the remodel, because of the state regulations requiring them to stay open.  I also believe the stores converting to Shop Rites are still operating their pharmacies as well, while the store itself slowly changes over to a Shop Rite.