Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra
QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
This is the Shaw's in Randolph, VT as of 2009.
Does this location look familiar? it's the sister store to Enosburg Falls, VT.  Which just happens to be the competition Hannaford. Of course both of these locations originally were built for GRAND UNION. This location also contains the original decor package from GU, with just minor updates by Shaw's.

That's a fairly old Shaw's logo, too...at least a decade old, I should think. When did this store open, if you know?

The Peterborough store looks really interesting...the open ceiling seems kind of unusual too, at least in comparison to other Shaw's locations I've been in.

From talking with customers at the store it sounds like the location opened in the early to mid 90's. It was sold to Shaw's during the bankruptcy liquidation in 2001.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
I took quite a few pictures of the closed Shaw's on the Corner of Farmington Ave and Oakland Street in Bristol, CT today August 12, 2009. Store opened in 1995 and closed on July 25, 2009.

Sign inside the entrance.

I find those signs sort of poignant...even if these places are just retail establishments, they still played roles in peoples' lives, be it as an employer, a frequent place to shop, or even a more subtle role like the sponsor of someone's Little League team or something like that. It makes me think...how many people walked in and out those doors in those 14 years? What were their stories? I guess this is something I am prone to as a student of anthropology, but images like that do provoke these sorts of thoughts for me. I know the 23 years mentioned on the closing sign at the Hogan Road store carried a lot of weight for me, as I knew people (not necessarily still at that store, but still working for the company) that has literally been with Shaw's since that store opened. From a business standpoint, closings are just closings, but from a sociocultural standpoint, they are much more.

Thanks for sharing those photos, Marc -- also, the closed Bristol store appears to be the spitting image of Shaw's Main St. in Bangor, design-wise.

Kendra, I must agree with you. In a sense, the company (this one being Supervalu), just sees this as a closing to consolidate their losses from underperforming stores. All they're doing is closing up shop, while to the employees and shoppers, it holds more of a meaning to them. If shopping at Shaws or any store was a part of your life, or going to work somewhere everyday, the closing of the establishment, which in turns means it will not be a part of your life anymore, is a bit hard to get used to. It applies to everything in life, no matter what it is. Change can be good, but some of the time, it can be hard to adjust to.

I was upset when the A&P/Foodmart store closed in my hometown of Newington. It was just a supermarket, but it held many memories and I went there often. It was familiar, and I remember so many trips I made to the store. It's hard to switch to another store. I'm hoping Shaw's in Newington stays, but I have a feeling in the future, it will be the next one to go. That store also held many memories for me since it opened.

Marc82

Shaw's was part of my life for nearly 5 years. I worked there from October 2001-May 2006. So with Southington closing in October 06 and now Bristol closing in July 09 my past has died.

I started working at Shaw's in Bristol in October 2001. I was a cart boy and bagger. (Mostly cart boy). There wasn't anyone there whom I was good friends with. There were people I talked to regularly but none whom I hung around with outside of work. It wasn't too bad working there except during the occassional 2 day sales when I couldn't keep up with the carts because they didn't have enough and I got blamed for it.  I got written a few times because the lobby wasn't full of carts when I left. (Not my fault). Once I also got a suspended until further notice thing because a woman called the assistant manager at his house because she claimed I almost killed her son. 2 Carts got jammed together and I was trying to get them unstuck. There was no one behind me when I started trying to get them unstuck but then this womans little brat got behind me when I wasn't looking and the cart flew back and almost hit him in the face when I got the carts unjammed. The Union Steward was also a real moron. He was never around for any of my write ups or suspensions. And he told me that the Front End Manager didn't have to train me to become a cashier if she didn't want to. Finally after my family moved to Southington in 2003 it was an 18 month battle to get transferred to the Southington store.

I began at The Southington Store Labor Day weekend 2004. Slower paced store so it was less stressful working there. I was able to spend more time inside bagging instead of being out in the parking lot doing carts. My coworkers were also more friendly than the ones I had in Bristol. The Union Steward actually introduced himself to me my first day on the job and asked me if I had joined the union. And I told him I had since I was a transfer from the Bristol Store. The Union Steward and I became good friends. Nice older gentleman named John. (I think). He helped me out a few times mostly because of issues with the CSM. During the winter of 05-06 I went to the CSM and asked for Cashier training. She told me no. And without even letting me try she told me I was too incompetant to do it. I went to the Union Steward about that and he made her schedule me for cashier training. From February 06 until the day I quit in May06 I was a cashier and cart boy. The cartboy they hired to replace me switched to Grocery Overnights not long after he started. But we became really good friends and we are still good friend to this day. (I got him a job at Price Chopper and later got him a job with Walmart). I quit Shaw's in May 2006 (without thinking of the consequences really) after I got hurt on the job because of the CSM. (The same one who told me I was too incompetent to be a cashier). I was doing both register and carts that day. And about 15 mins before the end of my shift she asked me to do one more batch of carriages, which I did. It was a rainy day. And as I was going back inside the store to clock out for the day I slipped on the wet floor (the new floor inside the exit doors were like ice when wet) and I fell and landed on my wrist (other wise I would've hit my head and really would've been hurt).  I got treated at the hospital for  a sprained wrist and had a follow up at the clinic the store uses for injured workers. They let me go back to work a day early. I went back to work told them I was better and they were gonna have me work. Then I punched in. Thought about things before starting to work. Then I clocked out, deciding to quit. The next day I had 2nd thoughts and went to go back to work. The store manager wanted to talk to me and told me that I had quit the day before and I was not welcome back. About 6 weeks later I had contacted the head of the union. He agreed to have a hearing with me.  We had the hearing in August 06 and the vice president of the union agreed to give me one last chance. (The store had tried to use things that I had done in the past as reasons not to let me come back). The day after the hearing however I got a phone call from the VP of the union telling me the company decided to close the store and I was not welcome to come back to the store as an employee.

kendra

@ Marc -- I used to get written up for a lot of stupid things as well, for me the big thing was being sarcastic to customers, as apparently they didn't like my "tone." I've gotten better at this over the years, however...though it always seemed like the insane customers flocked to me, the ones that are impossible to please and will inevitably complain. C'est la vie, I suppose! :P

It's interesting to hear about the experience of someone that has worked in a union store...as you probably know, Maine has no unionized Shaw's locations, and so I don't know a whole lot about how the grocery union works. I have an understanding of unions in general, but it is cool to hear some firsthand information about the processes involved. It seems that being unionized has both pros and cons, as does being a non-union employee.

Sorry to hear that your experience at Shaw's was so fraught with problems, though...although for bad or good, it still is losing part of your past -- my years employed at the Hogan Road store were *not* among the better years of my life, but I was still sad to see it go, and still feel a tinge of sadness every time I drive by the empty, labelscarred strip mall shell that remains where a lively supermarket once operated.

AmesNewington

Marc, I had no idea you went through that with Shaw's. It really depends on the location itself. Although, the front end manager at the Newington store doesn't seem too friendly, but I can't judge because I never spoke to her, but she seems "stand-offish". She's very short. Honestly, she belongs in a high-end store like Stop and Shop or Big Y.

Anyway, I guess I'm lucky working for Waldbaum's, and that the management is so accomodating. I couldn't ask for a better front end manager. Even after my desire to work in Berlin (which was a huge mistake),  two weeks after transferring, they took me back in W. Hartford. They didn't have to, but they did. I've been back there for two months now, and apparently, it seems as if they didn't hold it against me. The employees are fabulous people. I can't seem to find such a close family of co-workers anywhere else.

As for Berlin, I used to like the store, but the employees were so cold and unfriendly (or friendly in a backstabbing way), it turned me against the store almost completely. I'd love to be able to go there again, but I know every single one of the employees (there isn't that many), and I don't want to see them. Some were nice, but I don't want to get questioned.  

AmesNewington

One more thing...I've been to the Shaw's website and I've noticed that on the store locator, they still list the Bristol and Shelton CT stores. They've been closed for over two months. I don't think Shaws is updating their site.

gu4ever

gu4ever

I've never seen a Shaw's leaf of this size before. It's the same width as the double entry doors.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
One more thing...I've been to the Shaw's website and I've noticed that on the store locator, they still list the Bristol and Shelton CT stores. They've been closed for over two months. I don't think Shaws is updating their site.

Well, Shaw's was a division of Albertsons. When Acme closed two stores in 2005, I remember the listings were deleted from the Acme locator, but not Albertsons. (The Albertsons locator lists all their divisions)

gu4ever

The closed store in Portsmouth sits empty now. This store shows some design elements from it's early years. The right hand wall of the produce department would have had angled lettering letting you know you were in produce.

gu4ever

In the back of the store you can see the meat department. The back wall was lined with angled wood paneling.

gu4ever

You can see the striped floor tile in the empty checkout area and the orange tile running around the perimeter.

Zayre88

Nice pictures gu4ever, that Shaw's really was "old school".  It was no surprise when they decided to close it.  If they had plans for it, they would have renovated it.

gu4ever

The new Shaw's in Plaistow, NH built next door to the former Ames building. The Shaw's installed a white sign on the building???

kendra

gu4ever:

Re: the giant-sized Shaw's leaf -- I assume Supervalu is phasing out the "Quality Since 1860" round logo, and it would appear they are replacing where that was on the signage with the leaf logo.

Also, this may be a silly question, but how are you getting those internal shots of Portsmouth with the door open? Are they leaving the building unlocked? I got some interior photos of the stripped Hogan Road location that I will be posting soon, but they are taken through the windows.

Lastly, the white logo is very stylish, but I hope they're not phasing out the orange and green completely. Most stores have gone at least partially to tan polo shirts, however, so orange/green Shaw's memorabilia may soon be a thing of the past, which is a shame as I think it's a bit of a trademark.

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Nice pictures gu4ever, that Shaw's really was "old school".  It was no surprise when they decided to close it.  If they had plans for it, they would have renovated it.  

The fact that it was still labeled as depicted in its dying days is astounding..."Super" Shaw's were phased out in the mid-1990s, I think...perhaps a bit later. A true time capsule.

gu4ever

gu4ever:

Re: the giant-sized Shaw's leaf -- I assume Supervalu is phasing out the "Quality Since 1860" round logo, and it would appear they are replacing where that was on the signage with the leaf logo.

Also, this may be a silly question, but how are you getting those internal shots of Portsmouth with the door open? Are they leaving the building unlocked? I got some interior photos of the stripped Hogan Road location that I will be posting soon, but they are taken through the windows.

Lastly, the white logo is very stylish, but I hope they're not phasing out the orange and green completely. Most stores have gone at least partially to tan polo shirts, however, so orange/green Shaw's memorabilia may soon be a thing of the past, which is a shame as I think it's a bit of a trademark.

The interior photo's I got were taken from outside. The interior doors were left open so I took the photo's through those openings to eliminate the reflective glare from the lobby window. I also used the zoom lens to get the shot of the wood wall in the meat department, luckily some interior lights were left on so it made the photo's come out pretty good.

TRU7536

Hey AmesNewington, have you heard that Shaws along with Bob store is closing in Newington? My mom was telling me that one of her co-workers told her both stores are set to close.

AmesNewington

Hey TRU7536:

I had no idea until you posted. However, I've been expecting an announcement for Shaw's, because their decrease in stock (shortening the aisle lengths) and empty spaces around the store over the past year has kind of given me the impression they don't care about store #206. But I would think they would wait until after Christmas to get as much money out of the store as they can with holiday sales and then shutter. They didn't even decorate the store for Fall this year, which they usually do.

I know how much you dislike Shaw's in Newington, however, if they close, I'd be disappointed. Since July, me and mom have been shopping here again after the Berlin Foodmart ticked me off for good after I worked there for two weeks. My mom likes shopping here, because the staff is friendly on Saturdays when we shop, and the store is plain and simple, unlike Price Chopper down the road, which she hates. She refuses to shop there, and we usually go to the Southington PC if we want to shop at one. We don't care for Stop and Shop on Fenn Road and the Waldbaums in WH I work at is too busy any time of day to shop at, so it'll be a dilemma. I'm hoping Geisslers or something opens in the old Foodmart on Lowrey Place some day. (We need something local).

I didn't hear about Bob's, but imagine if both stores close in that plaza? I'd be a big blow to that complex. Petco, Party City and Michaels can't support it on their own.

Let me know if you hear anything.  

Marc82

Shaw's closing in Newington if true wouldn't surprise me, but BOB's closing would. In 2006 my former boss at Shaw's in Southington predicted that Shaw's wouldn't be in Connecticut anymore within 10 years and so far she's right.

Closed 2006

1. Southington
2. Bridgeport
3. New Britain
4. Glastonbury

Closed 2007

5. Waterbury

Closed 2009

6. Bristol
7. Shelton

And Newington will make the 8th one to close since 2006.  Any others in Connecticut close that I may have missed?

AmesNewington

Shaw's closing in Newington if true wouldn't surprise me, but BOB's closing would. In 2006 my former boss at Shaw's in Southington predicted that Shaw's wouldn't be in Connecticut anymore within 10 years and so far she's right.

Closed 2006

1. Southington
2. Bridgeport
3. New Britain
4. Glastonbury

Closed 2007

5. Waterbury

Closed 2009

6. Bristol
7. Shelton

And Newington will make the 8th one to close since 2006.  Any others in Connecticut close that I may have missed?

(Marc, actually it would be the 9th, because I believe you left out Westport, which closed in the beginning of this year. Isn't that the Fresh Market now??)

Anyway, I remember you saying that about her prediction. It's sad, because the Newington Shaw's used to do so well. I can't say if they were one of Connecticut's top performing, but they always seemed to do well. Back when they opened in 1996, it was only Stop and Shop, Foodmart and then Shaw's. I feel very bad for the employees at the Newington store. Most of them were transferred already within these past few years to Newington, and I'm hoping they still have a job within the company in the future. Most of the employees there throughout the years were consistently friendly and always helpful.

standa

Closed 2006

1. Southington
2. Bridgeport
3. New Britain
4. Glastonbury

Closed 2007

5. Waterbury

Closed 2009

6. Bristol
7. Shelton

The Orange CT store at 50 Boston Post Road closed in 2000, only two years after opening.  I went at its grand opening and was surprised to find it empty even then.  The Waterford, CT closed I believe around the same time.   The Orange store had moved from a short lived location farther towards Milford (a former Edwards store which is now Raymour & Flanigan).  I remember Shaw's initially wanted to keep both stores open but the older store closed within a week of the new store opening.  Shaw's also had older stores in Stratford & Wallingford (former Edwards) which it closed when it built new stores in those towns. Recently they also closed in Westport, CT.

Marc82

A For Lease Sign now appears on the fence on Farmington Avenue in Bristol in front of the old Shaw's. Its the same company that's offering the locations in New Britain, Waterbury, and Southington. - R. Calabrase (sic) Realty.

AmesNewington

Any new information on the Newington, CT store on closing/staying?? Things seem good there at the moment, and fairly busy.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Any new information on the Newington, CT store on closing/staying?? Things seem good there at the moment, and fairly busy.  

With the Bristol store now closed I don't have any of my Shaw's spies any more.

Bdubs

Nobody knows the future of many Shaw's.  
If they aren't going to close the one in Willimantic (It's a food museum), I'd doubt they close the one in Newington.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of this state all together.  

But, if anyone has stepped foot in East Hampton Shaw's, you'd have to step out to take a look at the sign out front to make sure.  It's actually that nice of a place.

The demise of the Bristol store is a Price Chopper in the same parking lot.  That's a killer.

AmesNewington

I'm sure Shaw's has many nice stores, but they are hardly committed to their central CT stores with a few exceptions . The Newington store looks as if it's on it's last leg due to the fact that there's far less merchandise than there was a year ago. There is a lot of empty space. To me, it seems as if corporate is just keeping the store open to either run its lease out or see how holiday 2009 sales were and are unsure what to do with the location. The store is located behind a new Aldi, however, if Shaws were to decide to leave, unlike the other CT stores that closed, I believe another retailer would snatch up this space. My hope is that a new grocer moves in to the old Waldbaums/A&P in the center of town, so I'm not worried about a grocer filling Shaws if it closed.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Bdubs
The demise of the Bristol store is a Price Chopper in the same parking lot.  That's a killer.

Yeah and that's because Price Chopper bullied their way into that spot - The Former KMART, CALDOR, GRANTS. PC threatened a lawsuit against the city of Bristol if they weren't allowed in the location.

gu4ever

An evening view of the Shaw's sign in Merrimack, NH.