Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acme style

Check out the classic Parkesburg Acme over at Acme Style...

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/
Check it out... Acme Style!

acme style

As I have previously admitted... I was the one who started the thread "any 80's remodels left?" which wound up becoming the default subject line after these boards changed sites. I am pleased to announce that I have received an answer to my question. And the answer is YES!. But the store is no longer an Acme. It's a Farmer's First Supermarket that didn't bother to change the decor. Check out pics over on flickr...

Exterior:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18435608@N00/4983691699/

80's Interior:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/otherstream/4984286768/in/photostream/

acme style

Acme to close the following locations in February...

Cinnaminson NJ
Fallston MD
Limerick PA
Millville NJ
Moorestown NJ
Wayne PA

More info over at http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/.

EddieJ1984

The harbison Acme in northeast philly near me is no longer 24 hours. Thats a shame as far as I can remember (Keep in mind im 26) its been 24 hours and seems to be the last supermarket that was open 24 hours in my area (mayfair) on Northeast Philadelphia.

MikeRa

Quote from: nims57 on September 22, 2009, 02:38:39 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by EddieJ1984
They did in 2000.
Interesting they did 2 things then that didn't last for even a year I believe.
1) Starbucks inside of it and 2) Entrance doors were on the front instead of the side

also here is a picture I found of the acme pre-summer 2000

This Acme started as a Food Fair/Pantry Pride. Acme moved from where the CVS is now. Funny about the Starbucks... I thought most Acme Starbucks closed in 2007.
Actually, the Food Fair/Pantry Pride was out where the parking lot is for the Acme is today.  Acme demolished that building and built their current building, which opened in 1979 as Acme Super Saver.  HistoricalAerial.com has a overhead view of the Food Fair/Pantry Pride building from 1963, 1968/69, and 1970.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

acme style

EddieJ1984

And so the death of the acme brand begins.

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on July 01, 2011, 12:28:41 PM

It's also the death of the Albertsons/Cub/Flavorite/Jewel/Richfood/Shop N Save/Shoppers brand as well

ynkeesfn82

Just confusing the customer even more. I remember when some (not all) of the Shaw's branded products were replaced by ACME brand the customers were confuzzled. LOL.

shore72

Aside from one item here or there, we hadn't done a major shopping trip at Acme since the 90s. We decided to try them a few weeks back and were really dissapointed. The location we went to (Easton, MD) was nicely remodeled a few years ago. The trouble is that they have crammed so much in that place (that dates to 1972) that you can hardly move. Extremely narrow aisles and very poorly laid out. (they were extremely busy when we were there-good for them, bad for somebody trying to maneuver) I felt bad since the employees seemed like hard workers; I complained about the trip in an online survey and promptly received a nice email from the store manager, asking for another chance. I thought that was very nice. I'm in no hurry to go back, though. The bigger problem is that their prices were not competitive at all.

I really need to take some time soon and grab some photos of former Acme buildings around here. Hold me to it, folks!

MikeRa

I might be the one of the few who remembers when the Acme and Super Chill brands was known as Acme Ideal/Alpha Beta brands, and Equaline and Homelife brands was called Osco brand, and before that, Acme Princess brand, which was sold at Acme, Alpha Beta, and Acme Super Saver locations.

shore72

I wonder sometimes, say, when the Acme "fish" logo and Ideal name were in use, were they considered as interesting as some of us think they are today? Well, I guess the answer is yes. I remember my grandparents giving me, for Easter one year in the late 70s, some snack packs of raisins, Acme Ideal brand, and I really thought the name/logo were neat. I saved those empty boxes for quite sometime! Yep, another warped young mind....

If I go digging enough I'll find an old Princess cocoa can from the American Stores Co. days.

retailisking

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on July 01, 2011, 12:28:41 PM

Are there any shelf talkers about the brand changeover?  Hannaford has been relentless about reassuring customers that it's the same product in a new package.

EddieJ1984

^ Actually there is below the price of the cereal. I took 2 pics, so this is from the other pic, albeit blurry since it was from my cell phone.

It reads "ACME brand is now ESSENTIAL EVERYDAY"

acme style

They totally ripped off Publix's packaging.

retailisking

Quote from: acme style on July 14, 2011, 10:55:57 PM
They totally ripped off Publix's packaging.
For point of reference, here's a typical Publix cereal aisle emphasizing their private label:
http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/img_0270.jpg

shore72

Thought I'd post this which I took today; it could go in several places I guess, since several stores have been here. This is the Seaford, DE Sav-a-Lot which was originally an Acme-classic "peaked-roof" store. After they left it became a Meatland; they did very little to change it-the back of the big "fish" Acme sign was still visible from inside. I liked the airy feel of that high ceiling. At some point in the 90s they moved to another location (eventually I'll have to start a Meatland/Food City thread) and then it was remodeled for this. A drop ceiling was installed which takes away greatly from the coolness factor, but I guess it saves a lot on heating/cooling costs. The Dollar General here used to be a drug store, Thrift if I recall right.

shore72

Here are another couple former Acme locations, from Federalsburg, MD (where I live). American Stores had a location here by the early 30s at least, and probaly in the 20s. Somewhere I have seen a photo from back then and if I can get a copy I'll post it. I'm guessing they moved to the location in this first photo sometimes in the later 40s or so? It has been a fabric store for around 40 years, with little modification. This is on Main Street in the heart of downtown.

This second location dates from, I'm guessing, the early 60s. It operated until about 1991 at which time, according to newspaper reports, the refrigeration units were due for replacement and it was deemed not worth the investment. After sitting vacant for a time it was heavily remodeled. There was a used car dealership here for a time; I'm not sure if it is being used for anything right now. This originally had the entrance at the left front, like the Sav a Lot posted above. I remember shopping at this Acme once and being struck by how narrow the aisles were. This is located on University Avenue and isn't a bad place to be, but not as high visibility as a highway. After this closed the only market in town was an IGA; the town worked hard to attract a new supermarket, eventually convincing Food Lion to build a store. They have done well, from what I've seen.

RoleModel

Well, uh, I found Acme margarine in a Not Acme supermarket on Long Island. But hey, the supermarket I found it in is in more dire straits...

MikeRa

Quote from: RoleModel on August 15, 2011, 12:31:56 AM
Well, uh, I found Acme margarine in a Not Acme supermarket on Long Island. But hey, the supermarket I found it in is in more dire straits...

I also see an "America's Choice" package next to the Acme margarnie.

EddieJ1984

Is this a pathmark? The 1.89 price tag looks like it.

RoleModel

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on August 16, 2011, 01:05:20 PM
Is this a pathmark? The 1.89 price tag looks like it.

It is indeed - Pathmark in Patchogue, NY.

EddieJ1984

An acme that closed and moved in 1979, which then became a resaturant, which closed last year is becoming a bottom dollar.
Here is a pic of how it looked as Ilona Keller's Dugan's Restaurant (pic from joshaustin's flickr)

Passing by this on the bus, they have stripped the front, so I took a picture of it today, and you can make out the framing and style of the old acme front.

acme style

Wonder who got the tiles from the back of the sign!

acme style

The St. Michaels store now featured at AcmeStyle.com!

retailisking

The new Bryn Mawr, PA store has run into weather-related construction delays that will put off the grand reopening for a few months
http://brynmawr.patch.com/articles/bryn-mawr-acme-reopening-delayed

MikeRa

The Acme Sav-on in Hockessin, DE has recently had their interior upgraded to the "Premium Fresh" format:

retailisking

Part of 26 stores owned by Albertsons across the US set to shutter
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2014/01/16/acme-to-close-two-area-stores.html

MikeRa

Quote from: retailisking on January 16, 2014, 02:45:34 PM
Part of 26 stores owned by Albertsons across the US set to shutter
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2014/01/16/acme-to-close-two-area-stores.html
These 2 locations (Westtown, PA and Exton, PA) will be closed on February 20, when their leases expire.