Kmart Plaza (Vernon, Connecticut)

Started by Everything Community, April 06, 2020, 09:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything Community

This is a major shopping center, off of Route 30, that is mainly called KMART plaza. It's located at 295 Hartford Turnpike in the town of Vernon, Connecticut. This plaza was built sometime in 1975. Here's a list of stores located within the plaza:

Building #1:

Anchors:
-Vacant (formerly Kmart (store closed last year); that store was there since even before the whole plaza was built in early 1975 as a standalone store while they were constructing a then-newer plaza that was completed later that year; I heard that the Ocean State Job Lot is going to soon be in a former Kmart store); 95,610 sq. ft.

-Ann & Hope Outlet (east end of the plaza; formerly Stop & Shop (original; moved across the parking lot on the different street to a bigger S&S in 1997), then some clothing store for a few years following S&S, the current store has been operating since the early 2000s)

Other stores: in order by location
-Nail salon (behind former Kmart)

-Town Fair Tire (not original as I think was used by some store in its earlier years)

-Salvation Army Family Thrift Store (opened in late 2014; previously occupied by NAMCO Pool Store which moved out of the plaza to the better location in Manchester, CT in around 2006 or so)

-Vacant (last occupied by Wang's Buffet, also occupied by Vernon Super Buffet, then some other stores beforehand)

Separate Restaurant Building in front of the plaza:
-99 Restaurant (it was there since the late 90's)

There is a separate supermarket-sized building which is a Super Stop & Shop (built in 1997 as a relocation from the much smaller regular S&S, where Ann & Hope outlet is) across the parking lot at Pitkin Road which isn't technically part of the Kmart plaza. There's also a vacant store (last occupied by a SEARS Hardware that closed during spring of 2012) that is in the same building. I'm not too uncertain but I believe Stop & Shops owns that part of the building too and that may a reason why it hasn't had a store in place in 8 years.

Again; that Kmart used to be in THIS plaza!