Work is starting

Started by d_fife, January 20, 2006, 04:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

the colonie center mall was one of the first malls around albany off the northway. IT was built in 1966 and then anchored by SEars, and a 180,000 square foot Macy's (WHICH WAS ALWAYS A MACY'S) The mall then was 820000 square feet. The mall in 1989-1991 got expanded and renovated, the Macy's relocated to a larger 300,000 square foot store. the old Macy's spot was redeveloped. STeinbach opened and closed in 1995, then became Boscov's (a chain that is an upscale JC PEnny and the first time I ever saw a Boscov's!!!) The mall is currently 1.248 million square feet and has 120 stores. the mall is 2 levels high and has an applebee's on the bottom level and has a food court on the upper level. the mall got the Christmas tree shops in the late 1990s and this is new york's first one. and STeve's sportswere is across the hall from X-mas tree shops and that just opened. the mall had a disney store that closed 4 years ago and currently has KB TOYs, the Biggest FYE I ever seen as it has a clearence center. I heard they will upgrade the mall and put a cinema in and put barnes and noble there, but they have a big enough barnes and noble across the street. this is odd that they have 2 big malls 2.5 miles from each other in albany, both with macy's. ths mall is on the junction of Wolf road and Central ave (Albany's major retail strip and one of the earliest albany shopping strips) just off the northway).

from http://www.feldmanmall.com/property-Colonie.html

d_fife

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is a sketch of the future of the mall.

I just found otu that 10,000 square feet of space is signed to the cheesecake factory, the first one in upstate new york.

another pic of the mall

BillyGr

the colonie center mall was one of the first malls around albany off the northway. IT was built in 1966 and then anchored by SEars, and a 180,000 square foot Macy's (WHICH WAS ALWAYS A MACY'S) The mall then was 820000 square feet. The mall in 1989-1991 got expanded and renovated, the Macy's relocated to a larger 300,000 square foot store. the old Macy's spot was redeveloped. STeinbach opened and closed in 1995, then became Boscov's (a chain that is an upscale JC PEnny and the first time I ever saw a Boscov's!!!) The mall is currently 1.248 million square feet and has 120 stores. the mall is 2 levels high and has an applebee's on the bottom level and has a food court on the upper level. the mall got the Christmas tree shops in the late 1990s and this is new york's first one. and STeve's sportswere is across the hall from X-mas tree shops and that just opened. the mall had a disney store that closed 4 years ago and currently has KB TOYs, the Biggest FYE I ever seen as it has a clearence center. I heard they will upgrade the mall and put a cinema in and put barnes and noble there, but they have a big enough barnes and noble across the street. this is odd that they have 2 big malls 2.5 miles from each other in albany, both with macy's. ths mall is on the junction of Wolf road and Central ave (Albany's major retail strip and one of the earliest albany shopping strips) just off the northway).

- Applebees just moved to the location below the food court from their former location near Sears (which was one of, if not the first Applebees in this area) and was some other type of restaurant prior to that (don't remember what).
- The FYE when first opened had an arcade in the back (where the clearance center now is) - this was also the company's experiment in using FYE (they had Record Town, Tape World, Strawberries, Coconuts etc.) as a name before they decided to use it on a large number of stores.
- Of course the other Macy's (at Crossgates) was aquired (via Jordan Marsh) - but it seems that both malls have their own populations so both stores apparently do well enough to stay open.

amesman

Just found out from an article in the Business Review that Barnes and Noble will move from their current location on Wolf Road across from the mall, into the new mall expansion.

Other retailers for the new expansion include:

Cheesecake Factory
Regal Cinemas
Some chinese restaurant(forgot the name)

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Just found out from an article in the Business Review that Barnes and Noble will move from their current location on Wolf Road across from the mall, into the new mall expansion.

Other retailers for the new expansion include:

Cheesecake Factory
Regal Cinemas
Some chinese restaurant(forgot the name)

I believe P.F. Chang's was mentioned at one point.

amesman

That's it..P.F. Changs. I couldn't remember the name. Thanks.

BillyGr

Here's a shot of the side of Colonie Center - it is about where the CVS & Burger King used to have exterior entrances - to the right of the food court section looking from Wolf Road.

I'd guess this is where the Cheesecake Factory will be (as they had noted previously that that would be the first part built).

d_fife

as of march 20, 2006 this was goiong on. this is probably wher ethe cheesecake factory will go. most cheesecake factories are located at that part of a mall. I wonder where barnes and noble and te cinema will go, but the barnes and noble across the street was big.

powersbt

as of march 20, 2006 this was goiong on. this is probably wher ethe cheesecake factory will go. most cheesecake factories are located at that part of a mall. I wonder where barnes and noble and te cinema will go, but the barnes and noble across the street was big.

Don't know where they will go, but I do know that the reflective Barrels show up Great in that photo.