A&P

Started by Caldor99, January 07, 2005, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

This move has been a long time coming.  It's amazing that they avoided BK, an obvious solution for their legacy issues, for all these years.  A&P has lousy contracts with C&S and other vendors, high labor costs relative to many of its competitors, and leases that need rejecting.  This isn't a prepackaged bankruptcy and I expect this process to drag on for a long time.  A&P, if it survives Chapter 11, will likely shed stores in outlying areas and focus on the NYC metropolitan area.  The Food Emporium was already on the block prior to the filing.  As the story says, Ron Burkle has a lot to say about whether A&P lives or dies.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1322497020101213

UPDATE 1-A&P seen using bankruptcy to shut about 100 stores

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:53pm EST

* Industry analysts expect store closings

* Grocery business under intense pressure

* Bankruptcy to be used to overhaul business (Updates with approval of loan in third paragraph)

By Tom Hals

WILMINGTON, Del., Dec 13 (Reuters) - Grocery store chain A&P, which filed for bankruptcy on Sunday, may have to shutter a quarter or more of its stores if it hopes to survive, analysts say.

In bankruptcy, the company officially known as The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co GAPTQ.PK will get a chance to perform radical surgery on itself as it faces growing pressure in the low-margin supermarket business.

The company received interim approval from a bankruptcy judge on Monday for an $800 million bankruptcy loan, which analysts said could give it 18 months for an overhaul.

"It's a tough workout," said Joe Stauff, who analyzes distressed companies for Susquehanna International Group.

Stauff said the company could close more than 100 of its 395 stores, which operate under the names of A&P, Waldbaum's, SuperFresh, Pathmark, Food Basics and The Food Emporium in the northeastern United States.

"As we said when we announced our turnaround plan in October, we continue to analyze our store portfolio and will do so in Chapter 11," A&P spokesman Eric Andrus said.

A&P rushed into bankruptcy as its cash was dwindling and a debt payment was looming this week. Unlike most big bankruptcies, the grocery chain does not have a prearranged plan for coming out of court protection.

The company has been squeezed by cut-rate operators of warehouse stores such as Costco Wholesale Corp (COST.O), as well as Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) and Target Corp (TGT.N), which have expanded into groceries. At the same time, wealthier shoppers have been lured away by higher-end stores such as Whole Foods Market Inc (WFMI.O).

Unable to pass along rising wholesale costs at the checkout, supermarkets have been forced to gain scale through size or by tightly controlling costs such as leases.

Several other regional supermarkets have gone through bankruptcy in recent years, including Bruno's, Bi-Lo, Penn Traffic Co and Bashas'.

BLUNDER AFTER BLUNDER?

Analysts expect A&P to take a hard look at its vendor contracts, leases and other operational costs, as well as its balance sheet and finances.

"They tended to overpay for everything. From vendors to landlords they were always an easy mark," said supermarket consultant David Livingston of DJL Research in Waukesha, Wisconsin. "They just made one blunder after another."

The company does have some important backers. Ronald Burkle, of the Yucaipa Companies LLC, invested in the company's preferred stock last year in an attempt to fund a revival.

While that investment is likely wiped out, sources told Reuters that Burkle, who amassed a fortune investing in supermarkets, may hold debt positions that could make him a significant player in the bankruptcy.

The company's chief restructuring officer, Frederic Brace, was appointed to the A&P board of directors by Burkle.

If Burkle has bought secured debt that gets paid first in a bankruptcy, "it says he wants to be a player and wants to control the company and do the Eddie Lampert thing," said Leah Hartman, an analyst with CRT Capital in Stamford, Connecticut, which specializes in distressed companies. She also estimated up to 100 stores being closed.

Lampert, a billionaire hedge fund manager, took control of Kmart when it emerged from bankruptcy in 2003 and later merged it with Sears Roebuck & Co. He chairs the combined company.

IMPACT ON REAL ESTATE

The bankruptcy could leave landlords scrambling to fill empty stores, which average about 42,000 square feet per location.

Strip center landlords face challenges filling stores. Other chains under pressure include Blockbuster Inc (BLOAQ.PK), which filed for bankruptcy in September, and TJX Companies Inc (TJX.N), which is closing or converting its A.J. Wright clothing stores.

"The shake-out of lower-tier retailers highlights the continued softness in the retail environment going into the holiday season," Sullivan said.

The case is In re The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, No. 10-24549. (Additional reporting by Lisa Baertlein and Ilaina Jonas in New York; Editing by Tim Dobbyn and Richard Chang)

retailisking

Price Chopper has expressed interest in A&P's stores in the Hudson Valley.  I imagine Hannaford might also be interested.  Come to think of it, Delhaize might take the whole thing.  I'm also thinking Kroger, which combined with a potential Shaw's acquisition would have quite a formidable footprint in the Northeast.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/blog/2010/12/ap-bankruptcy-could-fuel-pc-growth.html

DerangedHermit

Quote from: retailisking on December 13, 2010, 09:40:09 PM
Price Chopper has expressed interest in A&P's stores in the Hudson Valley.  I imagine Hannaford might also be interested.  Come to think of it, Delhaize might take the whole thing.  I'm also thinking Kroger, which combined with a potential Shaw's acquisition would have quite a formidable footprint in the Northeast.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/blog/2010/12/ap-bankruptcy-could-fuel-pc-growth.html

So who takes the excess LI stores? Because A&P had a lot of overlapping stores. Also, quite a few of these chains have intentionally avoided NYC and by extent, LI. Will Stop & Shop develop a critical mass of stores? Will Shoprite do what they did with Shaws in CT and finally be a player again on LI?

retailisking

Quote from: DerangedHermit on December 13, 2010, 09:48:13 PM
So who takes the excess LI stores? Because A&P had a lot of overlapping stores. Also, quite a few of these chains have intentionally avoided NYC and by extent, LI. Will Stop & Shop develop a critical mass of stores? Will Shoprite do what they did with Shaws in CT and finally be a player again on LI?

Stop & Shop would be somewhat messy because of all the redundant stores that would have to be divested (and let's not forget that its troubles with 73 unproductive leases is part of what sunk A&P in the first place) but there's an obvious benefit that would accrue to Ahold by shoring up its market share.  Some mid-Atlantic A&P stores could be flipped to Ahold's Giant or Martin's banners.  Then again, maybe Ahold has enough on its hands trying to make the Ukrop's integration into Martin's work.

I still call your attention to the Kroger footprint and suggest that it would be almost ideal if Kroger were to look to expand into the Northeast.  They would instantly become a 'player' in the region.

http://www.thekrogerco.com/operations/operations_grocery_locations.htm

As for Shoprite, it would be down to the individual owners to step up to the plate and bid on locations that fit their business strategies.

All this speculation may be moot as nobody really knows what Ron Burkle's game plan is.

Caldor1999

they just need to get rid of over lapin locations in a 10 mile radius of were i live we have 4 a&p's most of them were food emporiums or waldbaums many years ago and 3 out of the 4 are old outdated and small and i see this all over lower ny Grand Union had this problem as well and we all know what happend to them as of taking over former locations i think it would be nice to see stores such as price chopper or hannaford to take up a bulk of the locations that they close it will help them move into a newer market. also if you look at super markets such as shop rite and stop and shop they dont over due on locations thats one of the reasons im sure that's keeping them alive today btw i also work for them as well
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

DerangedHermit

Quote from: retailisking on December 14, 2010, 01:02:53 AM
Quote from: DerangedHermit on December 13, 2010, 09:48:13 PM

Stop & Shop would be somewhat messy because of all the redundant stores that would have to be divested (and let's not forget that its troubles with 73 unproductive leases is part of what sunk A&P in the first place) but there's an obvious benefit that would accrue to Ahold by shoring up its market share.  Some mid-Atlantic A&P stores could be flipped to Ahold's Giant or Martin's banners.  Then again, maybe Ahold has enough on its hands trying to make the Ukrop's integration into Martin's work.

I doubt they'd take the whole thing, but rather bits and pieces. A&P will still exist, but they will most likely have to cut back even more with regards to store locations.

EddieJ1984

Lookin thru the circulars hat came on the step today, there was no pathmark circular. There was a food basics one tho.
I do see pathmark's is up online tho. Just thought it was interesting.
Update: The circular would be there next week.

retailisking

A&P's distributor C&S Wholesale has notified New Jersey officials that it may close all of its warehouses in the state and lay off 1,100 employees.
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/12/nj_grocery_distributor_for_ap.html

BillyGr

retailisking

At least half of the stores to close in this current wave are in New Jersey:

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2011/02/ailing_ap_to_close_32_stores_i.html

retailisking

C&S followed through on their threat, closing all six NJ warehouses and shifting distribution to the A&P stores to nearby facilities including Harrisburg, PA.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2011/02/1000_workers_laid_off_in_groce.html

EddieJ1984

http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/ap_close_stores_0215/

2 philly stores slated to close, I wonder which one's it will be.

RoleModel

1 Pathmark, 2 Waldbaums are closing on LI.

Waldbaums:
Farmingdale - A new Stop & Shop and more importantly, a Walmart, have put the boots to this location.
Smithtown - they had closed their smaller location on the northwest side of town a few years ago, but I guess Stop & Shop and Uncle Giuseppe's was too much.

Pathmark:
Commack - IIRC, this is near the East Northport Stop & Shop and a Trader Joe's. Don't know much about people's shopping habits around here, but Pathmark seemed like a mismatch for this area.

retailisking

The full list:

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/AP-To-Close-32-Stores/126543Apsupermarket

Food Basics, Bridgeport, CT
Pathmark, Glasgow, DE
Superfresh, Ocean City, MD
A&P, Bamegat, NJ
Superfresh, Cape May, NJ
Pathmark, Deptford, NJ
Superfresh, East Windsor, NJ
Waldbaums, Farmingdale, NJ
A&P, Flanders, NJ
Pathmark, Gillette, NJ
Superfresh, Hamilton Twp, NJ
Superfresh, Hammonton, NJ
Pathmark, Hillsborough, NJ
Pathmark, Livingston, NJ
A&P, Manville, NJ
Pathmark, Middletown, NJ
Superfresh, Mt. Holly, NJ
Pathmark, North Hackensack, NJ
Pathmark, South Plainfield, NJ
Pathmark, Whippany, NJ
Pathmark, Brooklyn, NY
A&P, Camel, NY
Pathmark, Commack, NY
A&P, Greenburgh, NY
Pathmark, Hartsdale, NY
A&P, New Rochelle, NY
A&P, Portchester, NY
Waldbaums, Smithtown, NY
Waldbaums, Valley Stream, NY
Pathmark, Bethlehem, PA
Superfresh, Lionville, PA
Superfresh, Yardley, PA

AmesNewington

Gee, the Bridgeport CT Food Basics didn't last long. Not even two years. If I was A&P, I would've just walked away from the store after A&P/Foodmart closed in 2009. That is a real dangerous place and I can't believe A&P invested a cent in to transforming it to Food Basics. Funny thing is the company wanted to look in to a few more Food Basics stores in CT (New Haven, Waterbury) in 2009, and not even 2 years later, Food Basics is out of CT as fast as it entered the state. I just can't believe most of the A&P stores in CT are really gone (especially West Hartford and Branford). I would have thought I would see the Main Street Danbury A&P close in this wave of closings. I'm just hoping by getting rid of all this dead weight with the underperforming stores, maybe A&P can recover from this. In a way, I don't care, because A&P is no longer in the Greater Hartford area and probably never will be ever again and I'll never enter an A&P again unless I move to New York.

RoleModel

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 16, 2011, 01:43:10 PM
In a way, I don't care, because A&P is no longer in the Greater Hartford area and probably never will be ever again and I'll never enter an A&P again unless I move to New York.

I don't care and I live in the only metro area where A&P can claim they're #1. They're starting to make Stop & Shop look pretty good.

katnapped

Quote from: RoleModel on February 16, 2011, 09:17:02 AM

Pathmark:
Commack - IIRC, this is near the East Northport Stop & Shop and a Trader Joe's. Don't know much about people's shopping habits around here, but Pathmark seemed like a mismatch for this area.

That Pathmark's been around since the '70s (if not earlier)

katnapped

BTW, that entry for Valley Stream, NY is incorrect...that store is a Waldbaum's looking at Bing/Google Maps.

MikeRa

Quote from: retailisking on February 16, 2011, 11:35:40 AM
The full list:

Deptford, N.J. Pathmark
Yardly, Pa. Super Fresh
Hightstown, N.J. Super Fresh
Hamilton, N.J. Super Fresh
Mt. Holly, N.J. Super Fresh
Gillette, N.J. Pathmark
Hillsborough, N.J. Pathmark
Livingston, N.J. Pathmark
Middletown, N.J. Pathmark
North Hackensack, N.J. Pathmark
South Plainfield, N.J. Pathmark
Whippany, N.J. Pathmark
New Rochelle, N.Y. A&P
Greenburgh, N.Y. A&P
Portchester, N.Y. A&P
Carmel, N.Y. A&P
Flanders, N.J. A&P
Barnegat, N.J. A&P
Manville, N.J. A&P
Hartsdale, N.Y. Pathmark
Farmingdale, N.Y. Waldbaum's
Smithtown, N.Y. Waldbaum's
Comack, N.Y. Pathmark
Nostrand Ave., Brooklyn, N.Y. Pathmark
Valley Stream, N.Y. A&P
Bridgeport, Conn. Food Basics
Glascow, Del. Pathmark
Cape May Courthouse, N.J. Super Fresh
Hammonton, N.J. Super Fresh
Bethlehem, Pa. Pathmark
Lionville, Pa. (Exton area)
Gold Coast Mall, Ocean City, Md. Super Fresh
I don't remember there being a Pathmark in Deptford, NJ

I compiled a list, in order of states:
Stores to close in 2011
Connecticut

• Bridgeport Food Basics: 1700 Park Avenue
Delaware

• Glasgow/Newark Pathmark: 700 Plaza Drive (Store 565) (Former Super Fresh Super Store)
Maryland

New Jersey

• Barnegat A&P: Rt. 9 & Bayshore Dr (Store 810) (Former A&P Sav-A-Center)
  • Cape May Courthouse Super Fresh Super Store: 20 South Dennis Ave (Store 476)
  • Flanders A&P: 293 Rt. 206 (Store 698)
  • Gillette Pathmark: 977 Valley Road
  • Hamilton Township Super Fresh Super Store: 2465 S Broad St (Store 420)
  • Hammonton Super Fresh Super Store: 75 S Whitehorse Pike (Store 493)
  • Hillsborough Pathmark: 315 Route 206
  • Livingston Pathmark: 277 Eisenhower Parkway
  • Lumberton Super Fresh Super Store: 1631 Rt. 38 (Store 460)
  • Manville A&P: 120 North Main St (Store 413)
  • Middletown Pathmark: 1123 Highway 35
  • Whippany Pathmark: 831 Route 10 East
New York

• Brooklyn Pathmark: 3785 Nostrand Avenue
  • Carmel A&P: Rt. 6 & Stoneleigh Ave (Store 125)
  • Commack Pathmark: 6070 Jericho Turnpike
  • Farmingdale Waldbaum’s: 450 Main Street (Store 428)
  • Greenburgh A&P: 103 Knollwood Rd (Store 786) (Former A&P Sav-A-Center)
  • Hartsdale Pathmark: 371 Central Park Avenue
  • New Rochelle Super A&P: 366 Pelham Rd (Store 198) (Former A&P Future Store)
  • Port Chester A&P: 575 Boston Post Rd (Store 778)
  • Smithtown Waldbaum’s: 124 East Main Street (Store 278)
  • Valley Stream Waldbaum’s: 500 West Merrick Road (Store 284) (Former A&P Supermarket {Colonial Design})
Pennsylvania

• Bethlehem Pathmark Sav-A-Center: 3691 Rt. 378 (Store 380) (Former Super Fresh Super Store)
  • Chester Springs Super Fresh Super Store: 447 E. Uwchlan Ave. (Store 377)
  • Yardley Superfresh: 1601 Big Oak Rd (Store 258) (Former Super G Supermarket)

The ones I can't find, probally because they are listed under a different city/town, are the Deptford, NJ Pathmark, the Hightstown NJ superfresh, the Noth Hackensack, NJ Pathmark, the South Plainfield Pathmark, and which of the 3 superfresh stores in Ocean City, MD
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

videogamer75

Quote from: retailisking on February 16, 2011, 11:35:40 AM
Hammonton, N.J. Super Fresh

Good thing I took pictures at this location last year!

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on February 17, 2011, 09:41:00 AM
The ones I can't find, probally because they are listed under a different city/town, are the Deptford, NJ Pathmark, the Hightstown NJ superfresh, the Noth Hackensack, NJ Pathmark, the South Plainfield Pathmark, and which of the 3 superfresh stores in Ocean City, MD

Ocean City Maryland one should be the one listed as 11531 Coastal Highway (I found goldcoastmall.net and the mall is listed as 11427 Coastal Highway and the store is in the mall per the original list, so that seems to be the logical one).

From the "master" store list at http://www.aptea.com, the only listing for Pathmark in South Plainfield is 4999 Stelton Road (they apparently closed one at 3600 Park Avenue in the last batch, since that one is now missing from the list).  There is also an A&P at 907 Oak Tree Road, but the list said Pathmark.

There are two Pathmarks listed as just Hackensack - 450 Hackensack Avenue and 405 State Route 17 South and no listings under A&P, so it's probably one of those two?

I do not see any listings for Deptford or Hightstown under any of the lists, however Hightstown is very close to East Windsor on a map, so it might be the Superfresh at 440 Rt 130 East Windsor?  I don't even see a town near Deptford that corresponds to anything on a list.

retailisking

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on February 17, 2011, 09:57:59 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on February 17, 2011, 09:41:00 AM

Ocean City Maryland one should be the one listed as 11531 Coastal Highway (I found goldcoastmall.net and the mall is listed as 11427 Coastal Highway and the store is in the mall per the original list, so that seems to be the logical one).

From the "master" store list at http://www.aptea.com, the only listing for Pathmark in South Plainfield is 4999 Stelton Road (they apparently closed one at 3600 Park Avenue in the last batch, since that one is now missing from the list).  There is also an A&P at 907 Oak Tree Road, but the list said Pathmark.

There are two Pathmarks listed as just Hackensack - 450 Hackensack Avenue and 405 State Route 17 South and no listings under A&P, so it's probably one of those two?

I do not see any listings for Deptford or Hightstown under any of the lists, however Hightstown is very close to East Windsor on a map, so it might be the Superfresh at 440 Rt 130 East Windsor?  I don't even see a town near Deptford that corresponds to anything on a list.
I just looked on Pathmark's website, and the deptford location is actualy listed as:
Woodbury Pathmark: 1450 Clements Bridge Road

MikeRa

Here is athe updated list, in order of states:
Stores to close in 2011
Connecticut

Delaware

• Glasgow/Newark Pathmark: 700 Plaza Drive (Store 565) (Former Super Fresh Super Store)
Maryland

• Ocean City Super Fresh Food Market: 11531 Coastal Hwy (Store 945) (Former A&P Supermarket)[/li
New Jersey

• Barnegat A&P: Rt. 9 & Bayshore Dr (Store 810) (Former A&P Sav-A-Center)
  • Cape May Courthouse Super Fresh Super Store: 20 South Dennis Ave (Store 476)
  • Flanders A&P: 293 Rt. 206 (Store 698)
  • East Windsor Super Fresh Super Store: 440 Rt. 130 Suite 1 E (Unit 404)
  • Gillette Pathmark: 977 Valley Road
  • Hamilton Township Super Fresh Super Store: 2465 S Broad St (Store 420)
  • Hammonton Super Fresh Super Store: 75 S Whitehorse Pike (Store 493)
  • Hillsborough Pathmark: 315 Route 206
  • Livingston Pathmark: 277 Eisenhower Parkway
  • Lumberton Super Fresh Super Store: 1631 Rt. 38 (Store 460)
  • Manville A&P: 120 North Main St (Store 413)
  • Middletown Pathmark: 1123 Highway 35
  • South Plainfield Pathmark: 4999 Stelton Road
  • Whippany Pathmark: 831 Route 10 East
  • Woodbury (Deptford) Pathmark: 1450 Clements Bridge Road
New York

• Brooklyn Pathmark: 3785 Nostrand Avenue
  • Carmel A&P: Rt. 6 & Stoneleigh Ave (Store 125)
  • Commack Pathmark: 6070 Jericho Turnpike
  • Farmingdale Waldbaum’s: 450 Main Street (Store 428)
  • Greenburgh A&P: 103 Knollwood Rd (Store 786) (Former A&P Sav-A-Center)
  • Hartsdale Pathmark: 371 Central Park Avenue
  • New Rochelle Super A&P: 366 Pelham Rd (Store 198) (Former A&P Future Store)
  • Port Chester A&P: 575 Boston Post Rd (Store 778)
  • Smithtown Waldbaum’s: 124 East Main Street (Store 278)
  • Valley Stream Waldbaum’s: 500 West Merrick Road (Store 284) (Former A&P Supermarket {Colonial Design})
Pennsylvania

• Bethlehem Pathmark Sav-A-Center: 3691 Rt. 378 (Store 380) (Former Super Fresh Super Store)
  • Chester Springs Super Fresh Super Store: 447 E. Uwchlan Ave. (Store 377)
  • Yardley Superfresh: 1601 Big Oak Rd (Store 258) (Former Super G Supermarket)

I still haven't figure out which of the 2 Hackensack, NJ Pathmark is closing.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: MikeRa on February 19, 2011, 09:17:13 AM
Connecticut

So more than a week after they made this announcement NEWS 8 WTNH finally got around to reporting this story. Way to go. I would post a link to a story on their website, but WTNH.COM along with the websites for all the other stations owned by LIN Media crash my computer.

AmesNewington

It's funny how A&P has just about exited Connecticut completely, but they still have a considerable amount of A&P Wines and Spirits stores in the state. You would think they would have went with the A&P/Foodmart stores. I was nosy looking at the A&P corporate site (why should I even care?), and noticed that under their locations for CT, towns like Bristol, Mystic and Newington were on there. I was confused. It turns out they have included the Wine and Spirit stores with the actual A&P food stores. So now the site says they operate 15 stores in CT, but only six are actual A&P Food Stores. Very weird.

retailisking

They still retain a toehold in Massachusetts, too, through their wine stores (Best Cellars in Boston and Grape Finds in Great Barrington.)

Caldor1999

Greenburgh NY A&P this store was not a Former A&P Sav-A-Center before it was a&p it was a Waldbaums until the late 90's
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MikeRa

And, more sad news coming from A&P:

4/13/2011

The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. to Sell 25 Superfresh Stores as Part of Turnaround Strategy

The Company Hopes to Complete Sales of These 25 Southern Superfresh Locations by Mid-June, Pending Court Approval

MONTVALE, N.J. - April 13, 2011 - The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. (A&P, OTC: GAPTQ) today announced that it is filing a motion seeking court approval of bidding procedures to market and sell 25 Superfresh stores in two southern states and the District of Columbia, as the Company continues to fully implement its comprehensive financial and operational restructuring.

The 25 Superfresh locations to be put up for sale under the proposed bidding process include 22 in Maryland, two in Delaware and one in the District of Columbia. Any sales resulting from the proposed bidding process are expected to be completed by mid-June, subject to court approval.

A&P President and Chief Executive Officer Sam Martin said, "The Company has been working hard to implement our turnaround strategy since last year. As part of our ongoing review of our store footprint, we determined that these 25 Superfresh locations are outside A&P's core market. While the decision to put these non-core stores up for sale will unfortunately impact some of our customers, partners, communities and Associates, this is a necessary step in our efforts to restore the Company to long-term financial health."

The Company will encourage loyal customers to continue shopping at these locations during the marketing and sales process.

Mr. Martin continued, "A&P will actively market these locations and is encouraging our dedicated Associates to remain focused on serving our customers and to help show prospective buyers the true potential of these stores. We are continuing to focus on delivering exceptional service to our Superfresh customers in these locations throughout the sale process."

The Company's Superfresh locations in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the Maryland/Delaware shore area are not being put up for sale as part of the proposed bidding process. These stores will continue to operate normally with fully stocked shelves and the excellent service A&P customers expect.

retailisking

Sad, maybe, but very much necessary.  Let's face it: A&P has been a dead store walking for decades now.  Better to sell than to close down and leave white elephants all over the mid-Atlantic for years to come.  Hopefully the core markets will reach a similar resolution sooner rather than later.