Could Sears and Kmart be all done next month?

Started by retailisking, September 27, 2019, 07:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

That's the proposition behind this post on The Layoff. This board was where the big list of 100 or so closures originated which was picked up by national media outlets.
https://www.thelayoff.com/t/11fQFMJl

Zayre88

The company, as it is now with it's remaining stores scattered across 37 states or so, is no longer viable.

How can you run a chain with so little locations and spread out like that? It would a cost a fortune to make the logistics efficient. Even before that they could not keep stores well stocked.

With its national presence to the lowest it's ever been, it's outdated stores, and the way the whole company is managed, Kmart can't survive.

The post makes sense.

Reminds me of the Sears Canada wind-down. It filed for bankruptcy, closed some stores, announced a few more store closings, and a month later announced it would go out of business.

Bdubs

Not sure exactly how accurate some of that is, I wonder if it’s mostly just speculation, but the end is definitely near. 

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on September 28, 2019, 12:04:41 PM
The company, as it is now with it's remaining stores scattered across 37 states or so, is no longer viable.

How can you run a chain with so little locations and spread out like that? It would a cost a fortune to make the logistics efficient. Even before that they could not keep stores well stocked.

With its national presence to the lowest it's ever been, it's outdated stores, and the way the whole company is managed, Kmart can't survive.

The post makes sense.

Reminds me of the Sears Canada wind-down. It filed for bankruptcy, closed some stores, announced a few more store closings, and a month later announced it would go out of business.

Zayre88 is right, of it being national, I now consider Kmart more of a regional and their stores after this wave will be how many stores Bradlees had. Kmart's stores look the same as they did 30 yrs ago! no one is in them! I went to Hooksett's last week and it had empty shelves, bored staff and few people.

I wonder if the announcement will come after Christmas.

deerwrecker2017

It would likely prove what I have been saying for a time is true that both Sears and Kmart are likely not long for this world in the event that the article posted on The Layoff is completely true.

TheFugitive

Quote from: danfifepsu on September 30, 2019, 08:43:48 PM

Seems likely.  One last bad Christmas drove the final nail in the coffin for Ames.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 01, 2019, 10:06:51 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on September 30, 2019, 08:43:48 PM

Seems likely.  One last bad Christmas drove the final nail in the coffin for Ames.
but Ames closed in the early Fall. Qnd didnt make it till Xmas. 1 bad Cmas was what killed Toys r us, Richs, Bradlees and Caldor.

AmesNewington

I would hope they'd last until after Christmas. I want one more opportunity to do some holiday shopping with them for one final time.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: AmesNewington on October 01, 2019, 06:58:03 PM
I would hope they'd last until after Christmas. I want one more opportunity to do some holiday shopping with them for one final time.

If you and everyone who lives within driving distance from the remaining Kmart locations are extremely lucky come this years Christmas Shopping Season that would be good.

BillyGr

One would suspect you'd have that opportunity.  Even if they announced something in the next week or two, it usually takes a bit to get closing sales going and they last for a couple months, which would bring you into December or even January.

Crazybangles

Kmart in Australia has no affiliation with the Kmart in the United States.

retailisking

The recently $150 million lifeline kicks the can down the road past the October "deadline." Fast Eddie has also closed on bringing SHOS back into the fold.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Crazybangles on October 26, 2019, 12:36:49 PM
Kmart in Australia has no affiliation with the Kmart in the United States.
S.S. Kresge Co. founded Kmart as a joint venture with G.J. Coles in 1969. G.J. Coles (known as Coles-Myer by 1994) later bought the shares of Kmart Australia they did not own in 1994 from the U.S. Kmart Corporation. At around that time, Kmart U.S. was starting to run into trouble and were about to sell their stores in the Czech Republic and Slovakia to Tesco, also, Kmart Canada was beginning to struggle as well...

Case and point: Kmart Australia is no longer affiliated with Kmart U.S. (except in name).