York Steak House

Started by GiantApe67, January 08, 2008, 10:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiantApe67

Anyone remember this chain?  It was big in the 80's and had locations across from the Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers, MA and also at the Burlington Mall in Burlington, MA.   It was one of my all time favorite places to eat as a kid, I'd love to go back in time for just one more meal.

XISMZERO

I remember York Steak House well. I'm in my early 20s but I was dragged there often as a kid.

Cafeteria-style dining; snaking lines in dark corridors. My brother and I remember the "butter walls", a description of the wall texture. You'd grab your food on a tray and god forbid you forget your jello cubes or chocolate pudding at the end! After paying, you'd enter a large dining room.

The dining rooms were very brown and country-style as I remember (possibly orange carpets). Always smelled like gravy in there.

They used to be very big in the 1970s and 80s in malls. They had one in Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, Conn. in one of the side wings (It might've become MasterCuts and GNC and possibly part of Ruby Tuesday since).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Crawford

Warwick Mall had one of these steakhouses. Food wasn't all that bad. It disappeared at some point in the late 80's early 90s. It  believe it was located where the Borders bookstore (Waldenbooks) is now. Warwick was the only mall I remember having one. Swansea Mall and Lincoln Mall had a similar restaurant called The Roast House.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

scottw73

I believe that Westfield Connecticut Post Mall had one back in the 80's It was located across from Knickerbockers.  The mall also used to have a Lums.  Here is a lnk to a site that has pictures of what a typical York Steakhouse looked like.

http://zaptoreading.smugmug.com/gallery/49487#1723996

XISMZERO

Here's an ad I stumbled across in the Hartford Courant archives. The ad is dated March 1983, so here's all the locations they had by '83.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's one still open in Columbus, OH on West Broad St. I wanted to eat here for old times sake (my mom used to take me to the one in Westfarms when I was young). I almost fell to the ground when I saw this.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's one still open in Columbus, OH on West Broad St. I wanted to eat here for old times sake (my mom used to take me to the one in Westfarms when I was young). I almost fell to the ground when I saw this.

Old school sign.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

It's being kept alive under the surname "J's" York Steak House.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Rayco7030

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Here's an ad I stumbled across in the Hartford Courant archives. The ad is dated March 1983, so here's all the locations they had by '83.

i remember natick and chicopee

those were the days  *sigh*  :P
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

beachgal26

I remember them well as it was the first time that I had ever seen a steak house located in a shopping center.  The one that we had in Baltimore, MD circa 1974 was very dark inside and the food was pretty good for the price.  It was nice to have someone bring the food to your table and check back on you.  I always wondered what had happened to them.  Anyone have any info on them or the company that owned them??

:question:

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

The Lewiston Mall location probably was that Margaritas Restaurant in the mall parking lot (It recently moved to Auburn).

zayre159

York Steak House Anyone remember that one?