Main Menu

Ames / West Hartford, Connecticut

Started by XISMZERO, March 15, 2006, 06:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachgal26

Is the Dollar store the only thing that is left there? Also, did you ever find out what the "stop work" order was about?  It really looks like it is time to tear the whole thing down.

Thanks again the for the pics and the wonderful updates!!

XISMZERO

I've scaled the building with a fine-tooth comb. There are no markings, surprisingly, from Caldor. Since two others like it in the area had "rainbow" logos, I only assumed this one did as well. There's nothing to prove it however :(
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

i dbot this but dose anyone have a pic of it  when it was a caldor??? cause i rememebr seeing it posted before the sigh crashed a year ago
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

WEST HARTFORD-ELMWOOD; January 6, 2008.

The store is coming down, folks. Connecticut loses another former Ames, and has only one former Caldor left in the state.

Full story: http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2008/01/west-hartford-elmwood-swept-wing-caldor.html
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Price Rite is building a supermarket in this former AMES Building in West Hartford, Connecticut, which before that was Caldor.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/fv/hc-whdstore0205.artfeb05,0,3539143.story

XISMZERO

UPDATE: 7-1-2008.

PRICE RITE is here!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

UPDATE: 7-1-2008.

So long Caldor/Ames!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's me in front of the late, since demolished Caldor back in January 2008 from The Hartford Courant.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Damn, you wouldn't even know that was an Ames... or a Caldor!

AmesNewington

WOW. What a transformation. I'm also glad that the Dollar Dreams got a new facade as well to compliment the Price Rite. That was fast construction too. I'm led to believe the building wasn't demolished though, just torn apart to the frame of the building like the Newington Caldor. Maybe I'm wrong, but they would have had to build the new building very quickly. It's nice and surprising to see 983 New Britain Ave looking so good and being used. I should check out the Price Rite some day with my family.

XISMZERO

Right you are -- they never demolished the building but more or less its identities. If you look on Dollar Dreams side, you can see the stucco/pebble facade from the old building.

Chris, I said the same thing -- you'd never be able to tell it was its former self by looking at it now.

By my estimation, this was a perfect move for this part of town and finally this isn't the ugliest end anymore.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

AmesNewington

It saddens me to see both the Caldor facade and the Waldbaum's facade go, but I'm also happy the building was utilized.

Nick, by any chance, did you notice if Dollar Dreams is doing interior renovations to their store? The last time I was in it, the interior was falling apart (leaking ceilings, aged floors, probably looked exactly like Food Mart did). Also, what does the pylon sign on New Britain Ave. look like now? Is it the same? And is that a newly paved parking lot I see?

Since I pass through New Britain Avenue on my way to work, I should head on down to see the plaza.

former amesguy

I was the district trainer for this district when we closed. This store was huge inside, and had awesome offices.

Marc82

Looks nice from Nick's photos. Can't believe Dollar Dreams is still open. The New Britain one closed and is now AJ WRIGHT.