Price Rite

Started by Anonymous, March 13, 2006, 08:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A Pricerite will open soon in my area.  Is it a popular store with shoppers?

BillyGr

There is only one (currently) in the Albany area (in Schenectady) which just recently expanded into part of the old Ames/Caldor since it was a larger spot - so I guess that one is popular.
There was one (maybe using the cost-rite name) in Catskill in the former ShopRite for a while, but that one didn't stick around too long.

I've seen a couple others (one in West Springfield MA, can't remember where else) but they seem pretty scattered.

BillyGr

This one is in Pittsfield - it has opened recently.  The building is definitely older - I think it was last a play place (kind of like Discovery Zone was).  The store wasn't there in December.

Photo 2 attaches to the left of Photo 1.  That's where the entrance door is - didn't see the exit.  From the outside it looks pretty big (especially for this kind of store).

I added the 3rd shot to show the plaza - it too is unusual.  As you can see, there are stores on a lower level in front, then the grocery sits up in the back with several other stores.  At some point (About where the arrow is) you are actually driving ON the ROOF of the lower stores!

Anonymous

The Hamden, CT Pricerite opened on March 19.  It occupies 38,000 sq. ft. of the former Pathmark which closed about 10 years ago, and was vacant for all this time.  It will be interesting to see how it will do in a town which has two Super Stop & Shops, a Shaw's, and a Sav-a-Lot.  You can see a photo of it on the store directory of the Pricerite website, www.priceritestores.com

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
This one is in Pittsfield - it has opened recently.  The building is definitely older - I think it was last a play place (kind of like Discovery Zone was).  The store wasn't there in December.

Photo 2 attaches to the left of Photo 1.  That's where the entrance door is - didn't see the exit.  From the outside it looks pretty big (especially for this kind of store).

I added the 3rd shot to show the plaza - it too is unusual.  As you can see, there are stores on a lower level in front, then the grocery sits up in the back with several other stores.  At some point (About where the arrow is) you are actually driving ON the ROOF of the lower stores!

this pricerite was a zayre. This one is in pittsfield. THIS WAS NOT THERE WHEN I FIRST WENT TO Pittsfield in 2004, but it was there when I went there march 20, 2006.  IT must have opened a year or so ago. the zayre closed in 1989.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

this pricerite was a zayre. This one is in pittsfield. THIS WAS NOT THERE WHEN I FIRST WENT TO Pittsfield in 2004, but it was there when I went there march 20, 2006.  IT must have opened a year or so ago. the zayre closed in 1989.

more price rite in pittsfield. I saw some in Rhode island last summer and some around springfield a few years ago.

d_fife

more price rite in pittsfield. I saw some in Rhode island last summer and some around springfield a few years ago.

notice the sign too. of the one in pittsfield

d_fife

price rite in wethersfield ct

d_fife

price rite in windsor ct near hartford and looks like it was a grand union.

Marc82

Maybe it's the fact that I'm tired and under the influence of cough medicine, but I can't find a thread about Price Rite, the small supermarket chain owned by Wakerfern, which is the food distributor for all the Shoprite's.

Anyway Price Rite is building a store in the former CALDOR/AMES Building in West Hartford, Connecticut.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/fv/hc-whdstore0205.artfeb05,0,3539143.story

Marc82

They're also building one at 136 Berlin Road in Cromwell, Connecticut. Anyone know what used to be there?

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
They're also building one at 136 Berlin Road in Cromwell, Connecticut. Anyone know what used to be there?

I checked it on the map: it's "Fabric Place," isn't it? My dad took me there a few times years ago -- largest fabric store I've ever seen. Wouldn't be too surprised if they're going outta business --  the Jo Ann in Cromwell went out late last year.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

standa

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82

I checked it on the map: it's "Fabric Place," isn't it? My dad took me there a few times years ago -- largest fabric store I've ever seen. Wouldn't be too surprised if they're going outta business --  the Jo Ann in Cromwell went out late last year.

I believe the Fabric Place of Cromwell closed a few years ago.  I remember in the late 80s there was an Everybody's supermarket at Cromwell Commons (136 Berlin Road).  It was a small chain with a few stores in south central Connecticut. (Cheshire, Hamden, New Haven, West Haven, Wallingford, Meriden (I think at the Parkade, but I am not certain), Cromwell, Waterbury).  Currently, I believe their only remaining store is in Cheshire, on South Main Street.

store215

I saw Price Rite branded Windshield Washer Fluid stocked inside my shop rite a few weeks ago..must have been a shipping mistake

Anonymous

OK  maybe I can clear some of this for you.  The Price Rite in Pittsfield Mass, was actuall one of the orginal Central Markets(i.e. Price Choppers) from the late 50's Central Maket opened in the summer of 1959.

Price Rite in Windsor Ct was a former A&P Sav-a-Center that was converted into a Waldbaums Food Mart in 1993. They closed in the late 90's

Marc82

Yeah and the one in New Britain is the old Stop & Shop.

standa

The Hamden Pricerite was Pathmark.

Marc82

Anyone know when the ones in Cromwell and West Hartford, CT are opening?

NJxxJon

I like SHOPrite myself. :kissyou:
JN

Marc82

I like ShopRite, but the one near me. When they repainted the interior a couple years ago - yuck. Brown, although that store has more senio citizens per capita than any other grocery store in Bristol, CT.

momof3

Where is the one in Cromwell opening????

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
Where is the one in Cromwell opening????

136 Berlin Road.

momof3

Is it in the plaza across from the Cromwell diner???I think i do remmber now hearing a grocery store might come in there.

mikey7290

This store in Pittsfield reminds me of the old P&C Foods in Gouverneur, NY.  Here's a drawing taken from an old 1961 ad when the store first opened so you can see what I mean.

AmesNewington

I went with my family to the new West Hartford store last week. It's a very nice store. You wouldn't have even known it was Caldor or Ames! It surprised me how nice the store was inside. I thought we were just going to look around and leave, but we ended up buying around $40 of merchandise. The prices were really great, so as we went up every aisle, we nearly were going to buy every item. We got about $100 worth of grocery items for $40. My father was pretty happy with that! The only thing is that we had to pay .10 for bags, but they are big and durable so we'll bring them with us next time we go.

Marc82

I must've missed the memo that they opened.  :flaming:

CTAmeshopper

there's a recently opened one in New Britian where the stop & Shop was.

Still has the old store front design. :bigsmile:

check it out on street view.

go here:

http://maps.google.com/maps

type this in:
Price Rite‎
150 Columbus Blvd, New Britain, CT

Mobil

There is a PriceRite in Secane/Aldan PA, a former A&P. A new CVS was just built in the small plaza.

standa

Does anyone know whether the Hamden and West Hartford,CT Pricerites will remain open after Shoprite moves into the nearby Shaws?

ynkeesfn82

I went to Price Rite in New Britain yesterday. What-a-dump. Give me Shoprite any day. Then again that area of New Britain (and most of New Britain) is a dump.