D&L Davidson & Leventhal

Started by Anonymous, January 17, 2005, 11:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

AmesmanBBTB

I thought I'd might restore this topic

Anonymous

Wow!!

D & L in the Manchester Parkade was a great store. It was where I had my first job. It was nice and I bought my clothes for school there. Unfortunatly, when they moved to Buckland, trying to be a major department store, I think it killed them.

justMe

76fanAmesmanBBTB

FINALLY SOME ONE KNOWS DAVIDSON & LEVENTHAL BESIDES ME

I GOTTA MUG AND PRICE TAG  FEATURING THEIR LOGO!

dayville81

They used to have it in the Crystal Mall. It was a small location but a lot of stuff there. It was converted to a Christmas store, then a Waldenbooks, and now an Old Navy. It was on the lower level near Sears and the mall did not advertise it like an anchor store on their literature but at Buckland Hills they did.

Anonymous

76fan:

D&L was a great store!!  Unfortunatly,  there is no MAJOR local department stores chains based in CT. Malley's, Read's, Sage-Allen and Fox's are gone. Also Star's and Barker's... :(

greg8370

XISMZERO

I feel the same way... aside from the handful of people in my family can recall the D&L chain. I distinctly remember that store because when I was a child it made weird alarm noises over the P.A. everytime my mom dragged me into the store. I only recall one... in the long-departed Farmington Valley Mall in Avon, Connecticut.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

I remember them. When I was a little boy my mom used to buy all my clothes there. The one in Bristol, CT is a TJ MAXX. The one in downtown New Britain is a giant junk department store called Mitch's Place.  (Second Floor which was their coporate headquarters is gonna be a Teen Center). The one in Avon/Simsbury is now Bed Bath Beyond. (Had been 3D Bed & Bath previously). The one at the Buckland Hills Mall became Filene's Men Store. Filene's Men Store took over the Lord & Taylor. Then  the former D&L became the temporary home of Dicks Sporting Goods while their other store was being remodeled. From their website it looks like the former D&L is vacant. At the Meriden Square Mall they were on the first floor and second floor.  I haven't been there for a couple months and can't remember what's there now.

torringtonstars

Ahh, D&L.

My uncle did art directing for them (shoots for fliers and display designs), I remember after a particular back to school flyer that had a shoot with tons of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, my sister, cousins and I got a heap of them to keep.

His ex wife was some sort of VP in the buying department also, she has a boutique in Old Saybrook now.

My mom also worked at one, either downtown NB or was there one in West Farms? We lived closer to the Farmington line for the two years we were in New Britain, on Batterson Drive... I can't imagine my dad being okay with her working downtown...

We got a lot of school clothes from their because of the family discounts.

This was in 1987-88...

JimSawhill

What a great Store -- D&L. Anyone remember a chain called 'THE FAIR'?

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
What a great Store -- D&L. Anyone remember a chain called 'THE FAIR'?
I remember The Fair.  They had one not too far away from me in Southbridge, MA.

Marc82

I remember D&L. My mom bought a lot of my clothes there growing up. Somewhere there's a pic of me sitting on Santa's lap as a little boy at D&L in Bristol.

Bdubs

Going to resurrect this thread.  I remember the D&L in the Crystal Mall in Waterford, also the one in Groton.  My mom used to take me shopping there all the time.  Funny, I walked through Crystal Mall last week pointing out just about every storefront what it originally was.  I think the CVS which closed in the mall, shocked me, and got me to reminisce.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Bdubs on February 11, 2011, 06:05:08 PM
Going to resurrect this thread.  I remember the D&L in the Crystal Mall in Waterford, also the one in Groton.  My mom used to take me shopping there all the time.  Funny, I walked through Crystal Mall last week pointing out just about every storefront what it originally was.  I think the CVS which closed in the mall, shocked me, and got me to reminisce.

Funny Bdubs, I was meeting my mom at The Bristol Plaza Friday Morning to give her my dirty laundry and as I was sitting in her car I began tell her what some of the stores in the plaza used to be. Since you mention D&L and CVS in your post that's what I'll mention in mine, but I remember more than that.

Ocean State Job Lot = Former TJ MAXX = Former D&L.

Dollar Tree = Former CVS.

ynkeesfn82

Philip Davidson from D&L Stores has passed away. Anyone from Connecticut is familiar with the chain which closed down in 1994.

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/newbritainherald/article_30b58d38-97da-11e5-84ea-3787d6e999c8.html

Bdubs

I was just driving through the Groton Shoppers plaza the other day and reflected about when my mom would drag me through there for what felt like forever. The facade still looks the way D&L built it years ago. it now houses a gym.