Penn Fruit

Started by Anonymous, March 01, 2006, 08:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Anonymous

Since nobody ever posted anything else on here, I'll list certain former Penn Fruits and the stores they have become:
Springfield, PA: Channel (closed before Rickel's took over) then divided into Staples and Golf Augusta Pro Shops. The latter has since closed, then became the Springfield Golf & Training Center. This store also closed and is still vacant.

Clifton Heights, PA: Burlington Coat Factory

Glenolden, PA: Pep Boys

Woodlyn, PA: Acme, now Bally Total Fitness

Philadelphia, PA: Acme, now Ross Dress for Less

Stratford, NJ: Phar-Mor (closed before the rest of the chain) possibly still vacant?

videogamer75

The one in stratford, nj became a Goodwill Store. I actually go there a lot and it is next to a former bradlees as well.

NJxxJon

JN

MikeRa

Here are some locations of former Penn Fruit supermarkets that I know of:

[list=a]
  • Frankford Avenue and Pratt Street, Philadelphia (now Holiday Thriftway)
  • Roosevelt Boulevard & Welsh Road, Philadelphia (now sub-divided into a Boston Market and other stores)
  • Cottman Avenue and Bustelton Avenue, Philadelphia (now sub-divided into a US Post Office and other stores)
  • South 69th Street & Chestnut Street, Upper Darby (demolished and replaced by a Staples)
  • Erie Avenue, between  O Street & Castor Avenue, Philadelphia (replaced by Lionel Kiddie City, now other stores.
  • [/list=a]
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Mobil

Route 1, Philadelphia. This Penn Fruit became an Acme that closed in early 2002. The tower here used to have the current Acme logo when the store was green and white. Ross opened in late 2003. Around the corner is a very old A&P, now Rite Aid.

Mobil

Norristown, PA. This is across from a former A&P.

Mobil

Whitehall, PA, closed in 1976. Both stores you see here closed in 2004.

Mobil

Upper Darby, PA. This was an IGA, then Supervalu, then Great Valu. I heard this was a former Penn Fruit, but it looks like a 50's Food Fair.

Mobil

Woodlyn, PA, opened in 1960. This was later an Acme. There is a former Hechinger in this plaza, now a Raymour & Flanigan Clearance Outlet.

Mobil

Springfield, PA, opened in 1957 and was later Channel Hardware that closed in 1990. Two golf shops have come and gone in the right half of this building as well.

Mobil

Glenolden, PA. This one used to have statues of the Pep boys until it was remodeled in 2004. At the same time, the former Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees in this plaza became Wal-Mart.

Mobil

Former Penn Fruit and Clemens, Conshohocken, PA. I took pictures in 2005 when it was Clemens. Across the street is a former Woolworth and A&P.

Mobil

Wynnewood, PA. This plaza also has a former Wanamaker's, now subdivided into Genuardi's and Bed Bath & Beyond.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Glenolden, PA. This one used to have statues of the Pep boys until it was remodeled in 2004. At the same time, the former Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees in this plaza became Wal-Mart.

This picture is from the Flickr user joshaustin610. Remember to cite your sources whenever you post pictures from other websites.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

This picture is from the Flickr user joshaustin610. Remember to cite your sources whenever you post pictures from other websites.

I took pictures of many stores shown here before he did.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

I took pictures of many stores shown here before he did.

But even if you took your own pictures of them before, the ones you posted here were still from another website therefore they need to be cited.

MikeRa

Upper Darby, PA. This was an IGA, then Supervalu, then Great Valu. I heard this was a former Penn Fruit, but it looks like a 50's Food Fair.
That Fresh Grocer store was never a Penn Fruit, possibily a Food Fair/Pantry Pride.  The Penn Fruit store in Upper Darby was located across the street for the former JC Penney Company/Lionel Kiddie City/Service Merchadise store at South 69th & Samsom Street.  This Penn Fruit locat was demolished and a modern day Staples and Rite Aid are on the site.

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
That Fresh Grocer store was never a Penn Fruit, possibily a Food Fair/Pantry Pride.  The Penn Fruit store in Upper Darby was located across the street for the former JC Penney Company/Lionel Kiddie City/Service Merchadise store at South 69th & Samsom Street.  This Penn Fruit locat was demolished and a modern day Staples and Rite Aid are on the site.

Either there were two Penn Fruits in Upper Darby, or the one on 69th relocated. The one in the picture was a later one, built in 1974.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa

Either there were two Penn Fruits in Upper Darby, or the one on 69th relocated. The one in the picture was a later one, built in 1974.
The Penn Fruit that was at 69th & Samsom Street, I believe,  closed in 1975 when the Penn Fruit Company went bankrupt.  The Barclay Square Shopping Center, I believe, opened in 1974 with Penn Fruit/Pantry Pride (not sure what the supermarkets name was there) and Eric Barclay Square Twin Theatre.

Mervyns

Why does this former Penn Fruit have a Food Fair-style tower? On a clear day you can even read "Penn Fruit Co." on the tower.