Main Menu

Roses

Started by NJF, January 17, 2005, 11:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiseguy93

Here's a former Rose's in the University Mall in Blacksburg, Va has now became Virginia Tech's Math Emporium. Read more about the Math Emporium at www.highereducation.org/crosstalk/ct0105/

wiseguy93

A closer view of the main enterance of Rose's in Roxboro, Nc

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

Roses Stores (originally known as P.H. Rose) is a regional discount store centered out of Henderson, North Carolina. Once dominant in the mountainous regions and rural areas of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee, the chain has dwindled due to the expansion of Wal-Mart in the region.
The Roses chain not only anchored strip centers, but also once anchored many enclosed shopping malls. Unable to adequately compete and falling under poor management, many stores closed, including those mall locations, and the stores never were updated to compete with Wal-Mart. Several stores are still operational.
Roses made several unsuccessful attempts to be acquired in the mid-1990s. At the retailer's peak, it operated approximately 278 stores mainly in North and South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia.
Roses was purchased by Variety Wholesalers Inc. in 1997[1]. The company has approximately 101 stores. It has scaled back its desire to operate as a discount store, focusing more on a high-end dollar concept.

momof3

Roses looked so cool and retro I hope somewhere thay are still doing buisness.

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located in Jackson Mississippi at the Southgate Shopping Center. An article said the shopping center was built in 1974 and remolded in 1999, I'am not sure when Rose's opened up. It does look like some of the old Rose's built in the 1970's.

wiseguy93

I was told this use to be a Rose's Dept. Store. I remember it was a Goody's for years, but I can't recall it being a Rose's of course it would been a few years ago. Back before my time. It does look like one of the older Rose's of the 1970's

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located in a really nice building at the FOUR CORNER PLAZA at 25274 LANKFORD HWY.

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located at Shipyard Plaza located at Carolina Beach Road and Shipyard Boulevard.

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located at Morganton Plaza at Intersection of Fleming Drive (70 Bypass) and Highway 18

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located in the Mid-Sussex Shopping Center . located near the intersection of Route 113 and Route 24. 20 minutes from Rehobeth Beach and adjacent to Georgetown.

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located at 2268 North Church Street, Park Plaza Shopping Center. size of this store is 45,658 sq ft.

Photo from www.loopnet.com

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located at Chowan Crossing Shopping Center 300J Virginia Road.

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located at MOREHEAD PLAZA.

wiseguy93

A really nice looking Rose's located at Mount Olive Shopping Center 1003 North Breazeale Avenue. Built in 1987

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located at Centre Stage at Walkertown.

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located at Mercury Plaza on Mercury Blvd.
I know this isn't a good picture but all I could find.

Photo taken from www.rutherfordchamber.org

wiseguy93

Rose's Department store once had a 79,000-square store located in the Blue Hen Mall's. This was one of the stores Rose's closed down after failing for chapter 11 in 1993.

The building is now home to NationsBank

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseguy93
This Rose's is located in the Mid-Sussex Shopping Center . located near the intersection of Route 113 and Route 24. 20 minutes from Rehobeth Beach and adjacent to Georgetown.
Looks like a former Acme. Compare:

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by wiseguy93
Looks like a former Acme. Compare:

Where is this Acme?

wiseguy93

This Rose's is located in the Richlands Mall. This Rose's has an odd layout. I would have loved to have visited it in the hayday of Rose's back in the early 80's when it was first opened. I think it may have had a mall entarence from the inside but there's not much left of a mall now.

wiseguy93

Another view of Rose's at Richlands Mall

wiseguy93

Former Rose's soon to be home to aeronautics mechanical labs

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 by Teresa Dunham | in General News

Students who want to be airplane mechanics will be welding, sand-blasting and riveting in their own large facility by January.

Located in a donated section of The Plaza shopping center in Lynchburg, the future aeronautics mechanical labs will be housed in approximately 20,000 square feet of vacant space that was formerly a Roses department store.

"This is where they'll be training aircraft mechanics," said Charles Spence, LU's director of planning and new construction. "We're right now in the design phases, but very shortly it will go under construction."

wiseguy93

The Morristown store was located in the Morristown Plaza next to JC Penney's from 1965 until 1988, then moved into JC Penney's space and occupied that from 1988 until 2003, when that portion of the plaza was torn down to make room for Home Depot.

Roses Stores #436 Morristown, TN Closing 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BABQaBMpZSk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZForf4hgmU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBBnKgaDVdY&feature=related

DEMOLITION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYwlg9mHylQ&feature=related

wiseguy93

The Rose's there closed as part of the Bankruptcy deal in 1994.

wiseguy93

3/29/2008 11:29 PM,  Anonymous said...
I can confirm the presence of Rose's in Florida. Both my mom and my aunt worked at the Roses's in Deland, Florida throughout the 70's and into the early 80's. I believe it closed in the early 90's. I concur with a previous post about the amazing record department that they had,not to mention pet, toy and sporting goods departments.They even had a cafeteria which served the best breakfast bisquits!!!! Anybody who thinks Walmart is a great retail store must not remember the great department stores of the 70's!

wiseguy93

It opened around 1985 and stayed open till 1993 or 1994.

wiseguy93

Asheville had three Rose's but all closed in 1994 due to bankrupt deal. One of those locations was at RANDOLPH MALL Dillard's now has that spot.

wiseguy93

This Rose's was located on Monticello Ave, opened in 1983 and shut down in 2002. Peebles and Marshall's spilt the building. You can still see in this picture the old Garden Center.