Sav-On/Osco Drug

Started by ameskmart1, February 28, 2006, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ameskmart1

Sav-On Drugs and Osco Drugs are a chain of drug stores that were owned by Albertson's and are being bought out by CVS Pharmacy.
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

Anonymous

When both chains get sold to CVS, just the freestanding stores will be sold and rebranded. Albertson's will still own the Sav-on and Osco trademarks because the pharmacies in their grocery stores adapted those names.

ameskmart1

Former Osco (Miles City, MT)

Marc82

If you've read the posts about Shaw's you know the Shaw's that have Osco in them have signs up that say "Shaws Osco". The new name-tags say Shaw's Osco on them even at stores that don't have them like the one where I used to work. (Southington).

store215

Yeah, the pharmacies inside the markets (Albertsons, Jewel-Osco, Acme, and Shaws) are all keeping either the Osco or Sav-On names...for now anyway. We'll see what the new owner of Albertson's plans to do.

All the freestanding ones or locations not connected to a grocery store were sold to CVS.

MikeRa

SuperValu is still keeping the Osco and Sv-on names, with thes stores branded like this:

Acme Sav-On
Albertsons Sav-on
Jewel Osco
Shaw's Osco
Star Osco
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

jmcnamara96

at the old AMES location in Londonderry(Apple Tree Mall Plaza)
was a Shaws And nexts door a Oscos and when they were sold to Brooks that location was vacant for a year so a later Shaws renovated and took the whole Oscos store and made it Shaws Oscos

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
SuperValu is still keeping the Osco and Sv-on names, with thes stores branded like this:

Acme Sav-On
Albertsons Sav-on
Jewel Osco
Shaw's Osco
Star Osco

they also have Albertsons Osco

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa

Acme Sav-On
Albertsons Sav-on
Jewel Osco
Shaw's Osco
Star Osco

they also have Albertsons Osco
You are correct.

gu4ever

The Lee, NH store was opened as a "Vision Store" proto-type. The orange checkouts are still being utilized by Rite Aid.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

A close up of the orange checkout counter from the Osco days.

jmcnamara96

Oscos in salem nh pictured above is now spirt halloween and i heard there reuseing a lot of stuff icant makke it down there cause of no car so someone should check it out

MikeRa

The only freestanding Osco I ever been in was back in 1992 in Minot, ND.  I was already aware of the "Osco" name by virtue of the "Osco" brand was sold at Acme Markets in the Philadelphia area from 1984 to when the "Sav-on/Osco by Albertson's" (later called "Equaline") brand was created.

ameskmart1

Missoula, MT taken shortly before CVS takeover; previously Skaggs

ameskmart1

jmcnamara96

Oscos in Salem NH not in the Ames/Zayre Plaza

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on February 18, 2010, 03:37:56 PM
Oscos in Salem NH not in the Ames/Zayre Plaza
Doesn't the building look similar to the Rite Aid in Pelham? It was built and opened as a Rite Aid about the same time Pelham, NH was.

jmcnamara96

Yea it does look like that same design Pelham NH was built from the ground up as rite aid maybe the pelham store was made for Osco but they backed out at the last minute i know a Pelham Native and he said it was built for Rite Aid

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on February 18, 2010, 04:18:37 PM
Yea it does look like that same design Pelham NH was built from the ground up as rite aid maybe the pelham store was made for Osco but they backed out at the last minute i know a Pelham Native and he said it was built for Rite Aid
Actually Salem, NH was originally built for Rite Aid, it was an underperforming location not meeting the expected revenue so the company sold the location 2 or 3 years after it had been built. The buyer Osco Drug then Brooks and SURPRISE it's once again owned by Rite Aid.... The store has been renovated 4 times in it's 10 years of being built.... A little costly???? I would think so.

jmcnamara96

yea rite aid did that with the Mancheaster NH store also

MikeRa

although the standalone Osco drugs and Sav-On drugs are long gone, their names lives on as "Osco Pharmacy" and "Sav-On Pharmacy" by SuperValu as the following names:

• Acme Sav-On
  • Albertsons Osco
  • Albertsons Sav-on
  • Jewel Osco
  • Shaw's Osco
  • Star Osco
Osco Pharmacy and Sav-On Pharmacy's sister pharmacy names are Cub Pharmacy, Farm Fresh Pharmacy,  Shop 'n Save Pharmacy and Shoppers Pharmacy