bangor mall

Started by d_fife, February 24, 2006, 08:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

the bangor mall was built in october 1978 and probably the road it is on (Bangor mall blvd) was built when the mall was built. the mall started out with a 60,000 square foot porteous, a JCpenny and a SEars. the mall then had 60 stores. some of the mall's stores from when it opened are left, like Spencer gifts. KB toys relocated to a newer spot in the mall in late 1990s. the mall is on a hill and you can see the whole retail strip from it and it is off Rt. 95 off Exits 186 (just built) and Exit 187. The mall was expanded and renovated in 1998. it was remodeled. a 120,000 square foot FIlene's was added to the mall in 1998 and so was a 40,000 square foot wing with 20 stores. disney store opened at that time. the mall's restuarants like mcdonald's are spread out so there is really no food court. outside the mall is borders, bugaboo steak creakhouse, hannaford. porteous closed early 2003 and became dick's sporting goods in august 2004. filene's becomes macy's this year. disney store closed late 2003. b.dalton adn suncoast and ruby tuesday are in the mall.

Zayre88

Filene's at the Bangor mall (nov. 2005)

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
The mall started out with a 60,000 square foot Porteous, a JCpenny and a Sears. Porteous closed early 2003 and became Dick's Sporting Goods in august 2004.  

Dick's inside Bangor Mall (former Porteous)

kendra

Now that university's ended for the summer, I have a bit more free time to focus on hobbies...here's some scans relating to the Bangor Mall's early days.

The original logo (changed, as far as I can recall, to the current one in the late 1990s):

Groundbreaking, Sept. 1977:

It's true that the mall was built in a former cow pasture, but it looks as if the cow in this photo is tied to the post, so the photo itself was probably a gimmick. At any rate, note the Kravco advert, JCPenney at left (with the slanted glass entrance), and Porteous (now Dick's) at right:

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
KB toys relocated to a newer spot in the mall in late 1990s.

Are you certain of this? I only ask because I remember it always being in the JCPenney wing, along with Radio Shack, B. Dalton (which I believe moved one storefront over or expanded at some point), Spencer Gifts (which also moved one storefront over, I think), Musicland, which eventually became Sam Goody and then closed, and York Steak House, among others. The location it was in when it closed back in the winter was the original location, as far as I knew.

To my knowledge, Kay-Bee was rebranded as KB when the company was purchased by Consolidated Stores Corp. in the mid-1990s. This was KB's receiving door at the Bangor Mall as photographed last week, notice how it still says Kay-Bee, implying that the store was in that location, at the latest, prior to 1996.

Not trying to be difficult, of course, I'm just wondering...if something's not as I remember it, I'd like to know...I'm just quite certain that it never moved, at the very least, never out of the JCPenney wing.

Zayre88

Nice pictues Kendra!

Here's one of the former JCPenney Auto Center at the Bangor Mall.  Sealed garage doors.

kendra

Nice pic!! I'd love to track down a shot from when it was actually open. I don't remember the JCP auto center ever being open, so it can't have been around much past the mid-1980s. I suppose they must just use it for storage, now -- I remember they expanded the salon a while back, so presumably that must have taken up some of the former space.

It's such an interestingly dated JCPenney -- I remember walking in there last fall, and evidently the 70s colors and styles were very much in season...the browns and yellows and whatnot...I was like, "whoa, Holy Grand Opening Flashback, Batman!!" :D

AmesNewington

The two JCPenney stores I have been to in Connecticut (Buckland and Westfarms) are fairly up-to-date stores, however, I wouldn't say they have a modern day look (definently not a 70s look) , but I like them anyway. I've had much success with their clothes (they last forever). They have had good sales the past few years too.

That JCPenney sign on the Westfarms store is still up as is the one at the main entrance. I thought with the renovation/update of the mall last year, JCPenney would spring for a new sign. Evidently, they did not. Sears down the road is the same way. They've both had the same signs for as long as I was alive (20 years).

Zayre88

Filene's at Bangor Mall in april 2006:

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 13, 2009, 06:43:35 PM
Filene's at Bangor Mall in april 2006:

how is this mall doing?

giantsfan2016

Zayre88

Macy's at Bangor Mall in 2016.

Filene's labelscar is partially visible.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 05, 2017, 09:39:06 PM

what will happen to the mall?

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 05, 2017, 09:39:06 PM

what will happen to the mall?

retailisking

There are a lot of inline vacancies at the Bangor Mall according to Simon's leasing plan:
https://business.simon.com/assets/mall/844/LEASING_PLAN/7700_BANGOR%20MALL_CurrentWebLeasePlan-1_1.pdf

A lot of their inline tenants are chains expected to close 100+ stores this year. Bangor Mall is at risk of becoming a "dead mall."

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on January 05, 2017, 11:29:58 PM
There are a lot of inline vacancies at the Bangor Mall according to Simon's leasing plan:
https://business.simon.com/assets/mall/844/LEASING_PLAN/7700_BANGOR%20MALL_CurrentWebLeasePlan-1_1.pdf

A lot of their inline tenants are chains expected to close 100+ stores this year. Bangor Mall is at risk of becoming a "dead mall."

how does it revive its self? its the only mall around. And its not just Bangor its all over the nation.  an article said 8 vacnat stores are in that mall.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 06, 2017, 01:43:14 PM

how does it revive its self? its the only mall around. And its not just Bangor its all over the nation.  an article said 8 vacnat stores are in that mall.
I'm pretty sure Simon has BIG plans for this mall. 8 vacant spaces is not bad (I've seen worse). With that many empty spaces, I'm sure a mall like this will recover quickly if the spaces are filled. Bangor Mall has a sister mall in Ashwaubenon (Green Bay), Wisconsin called Bay Park Square, and when Elder-Beerman closed their store there, two thirds of the space was converted to Younkers Furniture Gallery, while the remaining empty space is being used for future retail/restaurant/etc. tenants. I have a feeling the same thing might happen to this mall. Maybe they could divide the old Macy's space into a food court and a TJ Maxx or Ross. Just an idea.

Zayre88

It all depends on how quick they can fill that Macy's space which is very large.  And it also depends on what will happen with Sears.  So far the Bangor Mall location is safe but Sears itself can collapse.

Not sure about a food court, they could not even keep their Sbarro.  Tjmaxx already has a large store in Bangor. Ross would be nice but they currently have no New England stores.  The Bon-Ton could be an option but are they in a position to expand?

giantsfan2016

I had 5 good ideas, but unfortunately all 5 are already in Bangor. I thought of Hobby Lobby, Kohl's, Christmas Tree Shops, Target, and Burlington.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 07, 2017, 10:59:10 PM

It all depends on how quick they can fill that Macy's space which is very large.  And it also depends on what will happen with Sears.  So far the Bangor Mall location is safe but Sears itself can collapse.

Not sure about a food court, they could not even keep their Sbarro.  Tjmaxx already has a large store in Bangor. Ross would be nice but they currently have no New England stores.  The Bon-Ton could be an option but are they in a position to expand?

is the mall going to die? its the only mall around. Ok an article said 8 stores are left as of Thursday Jan 5, but were they sugarcoating things? that stretch of Bangor is in the northernmost part of town and last chance before civilization stops as I feel there is nothing north of Bangor, I know I have been.

danfifepsu

i counted 9 vacant stores in the mall as I was in there today. Macys was having their closing sale.

danfifepsu

Ok Payless is in trouble and will the mall fill those vacant spots??????????? its the only mall aroind and it has a large univesrity.

danfifepsu

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 10, 2017, 05:19:25 PM
Ok Payless is in trouble and will the mall fill those vacant spots??????????? its the only mall aroind and it has a large univesrity.

ok of the mall's 9 empty stores and Macys gone, Ok Can the mall fill tjhat all and has that happened before? and 2 yrs ago it said the mall was at 98 percent occupancy.