Barnes and Noble

Started by d_fife, February 19, 2006, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

Another shot of Evv Indiana

d_fife

barnes and noble in richmond heights ohio (not far from cleveland)

Rayco7030

reminds me of the one in hadley,mass:tumble:
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

Rayco7030

oh by the way the difference between the one in hadley,mass and enfield,ct locations is the placing of the music or entertainment section enfield one ,its on the left side,and hadley on the right side :yup:
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

Zayre88

QuoteBorders shares up on Barnes & Noble acquisition report
Associated Press
10:30 AM CDT, May 21, 2008

WASHINGTON - Shares of Borders Group Inc. soared 14 percent Wednesday following a published report that rival bookseller Barnes & Noble Inc. is considering the possibility of acquiring Borders.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-bordersgroup-barnesampn,0,1899810.story

Crawford

Isn't Barnes and Noble a division of Stop and Shop. I recall when my Super Stop and Shop opened it was a big deal over the Barnes and Nobles bookstore area of the market. Took up two entire aisles and endcaps. Now it is about 1/2 an aisle for the books and 1/2 an aisle for the magazines and children's books.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

MikeRa

Up here in Bensalem, PA, Barnes & Noble is building a new store inside the Neshaminy Mall.:yup:

This Barnes & Noble will be one the their big stores.  This store is being built on the mall space formely occupied by a Thrift/Eckerd Drug and a Germantown Savings/CoreStates/First Union/Wachovia Bank.  When this opens, I have a feeling the the Borders Express already inside the mall will close.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by RogerAnthony
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
old barnes and noble in watebury ct on wolcott st

That is the former Caldor, not the former Barnes & Nobles.  The former Barnes & Nobles is a different building adjacent to the same parking lot.

The former Caldor is now Bernie's and later subdivided into Planet Fitness. Go to the Caldor page to see a picture from the town assessor.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

CTAmeshopper

The former Barnes & Noble was a smaller bookstore (it was located where Goodwill is now), and also had a small back arts and crafts section in the upper right corner of the bookstore. The kids section was to the left I believe, and the rest of it was up front, it was a nice one, I even remember the storefront it was a wide green arch shape,with "Barne's & Noble" in big white cursive like letters and "Booksellers" in the same smaller font underneath(it was the store's logo in the 90's) with a tan arched border surrounding it, it also had wooden doors and large panoramic windows that provided a view out into the strip, I still miss it.

It was also similar to the one in West Hartford, CT but even that one is slightly different.

The only bookstore that comes close in style to this one is the one in Danbury, and last time I've checked it hasn't changed.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
Up here in Bensalem, PA, Barnes & Noble is building a new store inside the Neshaminy Mall.:yup:

This Barnes & Noble will be one the their big stores.  This store is being built on the mall space formely occupied by a Thrift/Eckerd Drug and a Germantown Savings/CoreStates/First Union/Wachovia Bank.  When this opens, I have a feeling the the Borders Express already inside the mall will close.
This Barnes&Noble has opened, and the Borders Express at Neshaminy Mall has closed on 1/24
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Marc82

B&N is more expensive than Borders in my opinion. The one at The Brass Mill Commons in Waterbury is the closest one to me. The B&N and Borders by the Westfarms Mall are practically across the street from one another! B&N is 1599 Southeast Road and Borders is 1600 Southeast Road. While technically addressed as Farmington I consider it to be West Hartford. And a 2nd B&N opened in The New Blue Back Square Development in downtown West Hartford.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
Baltimore Harbor

I went to that store in August 2002. I attended a Writing Conference at the Lord Baltimore Raddison Inn, which is walking distance from The Harbor.

Valerie

Clearance Sale: Barnes & Noble Didn't Evolve Enough
by James B. Stewart
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
retweet
EmailPrint.provided by

How did Barnes & Noble (NYSE: BKS - News) fall so far so fast?

The giant bookstore chain, whose superstores once struck fear into the hearts of independent booksellers everywhere, put itself up for sale this month, rendering it the corporate equivalent of the remaindered books it sells at a discount.

The company said it made the move because its shares are undervalued, but to me there was an air of desperation about it.

More from WSJ.com:

• Barnes & Noble Puts Itself Up for Sale

• Hewlett-Packard Still Can't Handle the Truth

• Defending Yourself Against Deflation

The simple explanation for Barnes & Noble's decline is the Internet, which spawned Amazon.com (Nasdaq: AMZN - News), e-readers and digital books. But that didn't have to be the end for B&N, which had a dominant market position and should have out-Amazoned Amazon, leveraging its brand and innovating when it began marketing and selling books online.

I know exactly when B&N lost me as a customer. Some years ago, to compete with Amazon, B&N began offering free same-day delivery in Manhattan if you placed your order over the Internet by 11 a.m. I did so several times -- and not once did the books arrive when promised. Everything I have ordered from Amazon has arrived on time or earlier. Then came Amazon's game-changing Kindle, and instant delivery. Nothing I've read about B&N's belated rival Nook has tempted me to try it.

My hunch is that B&N never really embraced the Internet or e-books, tied as it was to the old-fashioned world of physical books and stores. As B&N focused on managing decline, a much more nimble Amazon could concentrate exclusively on the new world it was forming. B&N needed to destroy its business model to prevail. Now it is probably too late. There is a lesson for all businesses here.

Now I'm using Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL - News) iPad, and while I predicted the demise of the Kindle in a previous column, I may have been premature. I like reading on the iPad, especially in bed at night and in other places where the device's back-lighting comes in handy. So far, it hasn't bothered my eyes at all, unlike the indistinct pages of the Kindle. But the Kindle is better outdoors.

I also suspect there may be a place for a dedicated reading device. When I open the iPad to read a book, I'm confronted with a dizzying array of options, from the latest episode of "Mad Men" to the current action in Asian stock markets. Is this information overload? Too often I find myself distracted by information I don't really need.
I can't say I miss physical books. My shelves are already groaning and can't accommodate any more. I do miss the bookstore I grew up with in the Midwest and the small stores that once dotted my neighborhood. Could B&N's decline pave the way for the return of the independent bookseller?

Despite the array of suggestions tailored to my interests (or at least to my recent purchases) that appear when I open the Amazon site, I still yearn for someone intelligent who can recommend a good book. I enjoy the community of other people who love books. I like talking to someone both before buying a book and after reading it. I think independent bookstores may be able to provide these services even while selling over the Internet. Their overhead should be lower, since they don't need to carry huge inventories of physical books and don't need huge retail spaces. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think there are new opportunities for booksellers.

As for B&N, I give them credit for democratizing books, boosting sales and getting people to read. As an author, I feel I've benefited from their aggressive marketing and in-store promotions. But I feel that world already has disappeared. Maybe dissident B&N shareholder Ron Burkle has some bold ideas for reinventing book retailing. If so, more power to him. But as an investor, I'm staying clear of B&N shares. (I do own Amazon, as I've reported.)

B&N shares sank below $12 a share in July, less than half their high for the year. They jumped more than $3 after news of the sale, suggesting some investors think a bidding war might break out. The company says it is selling because shares are cheap. But in my experience, most companies sell when they believe their shares are expensive.

-- James B. Stewart, a columnist for SmartMoney magazine and SmartMoney.com, writes weekly about his personal-investing strategy. Unlike Dow Jones reporters, he may have positions in the stocks he writes about. For his past columns, see: www.smartmoney.com/commonsense.

ynkeesfn82

The 60,000 Square Foot Flagship Barnes & Nobel Store at Lincoln Center in NYC is closing in Janauary.

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/31/barnes_and_noble.php

Rumors swirl that Clothing Retailer Century 21 will replace the store.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/threadny/THREAD-Rumors-The-Soon-to-Shutter-Lincoln-Center-Barnes--Noble-May-Be-Repalced-by-Century-21-101898483.html

bubcolbert1952

Why are the Starbucks at these stores labeled as "Barnes & Noble Cafe FEATURING Starbucks Coffee"? I know a few Barnes & Noble bookstores have corporately-owned Starbucks attached to them, but other companies that franchise Starbucks (such as Target, Macy's, Albertsons, Safeway, Kroger, A&P, Ahold, ShopRite, Supervalu, and Giant Eagle) seem to have no anxiety about using the Starbucks name by itself.

zonemad96

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 10, 2014, 06:44:44 PM
Why are the Starbucks at these stores labeled as "Barnes & Noble Cafe FEATURING Starbucks Coffee"? I know a few Barnes & Noble bookstores have corporately-owned Starbucks attached to them, but other companies that franchise Starbucks (such as Target, Macy's, Albertsons, Safeway, Kroger, A&P, Ahold, ShopRite, Supervalu, and Giant Eagle) seem to have no anxiety about using the Starbucks name by itself.
My guess is to give their own name extra attention. By calling it the barnes and noble cafe then everyone goes around calling it that instead of starbucks. That's just my guess.

I also just thought I would add I really wish someone would punch the dude from their Christmas commercial in the face. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyK7987wPHA

giantsfan2016

Barnes and Noble is launching a new concept store in a new development in Plano Texas. The store is much smaller than the typical B&N store and will feature a sit-down restaurant in-store.

http://legacywest.com/2016/08/31/legacy-west-announces-new-barnes-noble-concept-store/

M.R.CALDOR

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on June 08, 2019, 05:26:29 PM
Quote from: retailisking on June 08, 2019, 01:03:05 AM
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/industry-deals/article/80383-equity-firm-agrees-to-buy-b-n.html

Uh, oh! I hope this doesn't mean they are going out, they were the last of the really good chain book stores after Borders went out several years ago.

The firm in question owns and operates London's largest bookstore chain, Waterstones, so this could be good...

I just hope it works out like Fairfax Financial's purchase of Toys "R" Us Canada did last summer...

Brammy

I liked the one in The Metroplex Shopping Center in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania when I visited 2 weeks ago.
The Real Brammy