Main Menu

Waldenbooks

Started by ameskmart1, January 30, 2006, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ameskmart1

Waldenbooks is a book store mostly in malls.
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

store215

Waldenbooks are disappearing pretty quickly..most being closed when leases run out or converted to "Borders Express"

beau99

There are plenty of Waldenbooks around here.

There's even one that I know of that's not in a mall. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it.

Scrabbleship

This morning, I found in my e-mail notices from Borders that the Waldenbooks locations at Poughkeepsie Galleria, Hudson Valley Mall, and Colonie Center are all closing on January 20th. Looking through Google News, it looks like stores ranging from Needam, MA to Roanoke to Buffalo will also be closing on the 20th.

I know that Borders has been trying to ease away from malls, especially in areas where the opening of a Borders or a Barnes & Noble has taken away from Waldenbooks' customer base and that the leases of many Waldenbooks are up this month. Still, doesn't it seem weird that a fair number of locations are closing on the same day? Outside of a going-out-of-business situation it seems rare that such a thing would happen.

Marc82

Borders owns Waldens and some of the Waldens are being converted to Border's Express while others are closing.

dmx10101

Borders has hired a third party to help it accelerate its store-closing program and, while the company has not disclosed how many more Walden outlets it plans to shut, CFO Ed Wilhelm said at least 80 will be closed by Jan. 31, 2007, and the number could go much higher. According to the company's 10-K filing, there are 410 Walden outlets with leases set to expire by the end of January and another 189 stores with leases that will expire in the next two years. And even where it renews leases, Jones said, those leases will likely be short-term.

Whole Article Here
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by Scrabbleship
This morning, I found in my e-mail notices from Borders that the Waldenbooks locations at Poughkeepsie Galleria, Hudson Valley Mall, and Colonie Center are all closing on January 20th. Looking through Google News, it looks like stores ranging from Needam, MA to Roanoke to Buffalo will also be closing on the 20th.

I know that Borders has been trying to ease away from malls, especially in areas where the opening of a Borders or a Barnes & Noble has taken away from Waldenbooks' customer base and that the leases of many Waldenbooks are up this month. Still, doesn't it seem weird that a fair number of locations are closing on the same day? Outside of a going-out-of-business situation it seems rare that such a thing would happen.

Latham Circle Mall's store is closing as well. Just got the notice in my email today.

dmx10101

The mall i went to today had a Walden Books and and Walden Kids, they were together but both had their own entrance.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

I remember going to the Auburn Mall in Auburn, Mass and going to Walden Software.  It eventually was bought our by Electronics Boutique!

XISMZERO

And now Electronics Boutique is being largely rebranded by its new parent, Gamestop. Funny how the food chain works eh?

I don't know for sure if the Waldenbooks name is slowly being phased out or not. I'm seeing lots of them close up but Borders still recognizes them as a sister store while I've seen a few in my travels recently vacated.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

store215

It's funny how GameStop has yet to close overlapping locations. For example, in one shopping center there is a GameStop, and directly across the road in another shopping center was an EBGames, but it's now rebranded GameStop! So they have two locations with not even 500 feet between them!

Crawford

Same thing here. Emerald Mall in Massachusetts has an EBgames and a Gamestop within a stone's throw of each other. There is a Borders Express in the mall as well. Across the street from the mall is a free standing Borders and in a nearby plaza is another Gamestop. All business are doing great. Personally I like the idea that if one store doesn't have what you are looking for it isn't a big deal to go to one nearby that does.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

beachgal26

We have an interesting mix here with an EBX Games in the Wolfchase Galleria, across the street is a Game Stop and then 5 minutes up the road from us is another Game Stop.  The funny thing is that they are all busy no matter what time you visit them.

;)

Marc82

Waldenbooks is still open at The Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury, Connecticut as of 12/22/07. I don't know why they haven't closed it or changed it to Border's Express, unless it's because Barnes & Noble is in the adjacent and co-owned Brass Mill Commons.

dmx10101

Here in GA all of the Waldenbook stores I've seen are still called Waldenbooks.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

I remember the Auburn Mall having a WaldenSoftware.  I bought all my classic Doom and Duke Nukem games there and still have the receipts, before it was bought by Electronic Boutique.

Lastdaysofrain

I used to frequent the Waldenbooks in the Meadow Glenn Mall in Medford, MA.

I used to be into these stupid sci-fi book series called "Wild Cards" and they would special order them for me there.

One year I had a gift card and I was in the back of the store in the sci-fi/horror section looking at stuff and I heard some moans coming from the stock room. I looked back there and one of the guys that worked there was on the ground with his head split open bleeding everywhere. Apparently he fell off a ladder or something.

Anyways I went up to the counter and told the woman working the register, she was like "this better not be some prank, you damn kids are always pulling this" and she goes back and just starts screaming.  Ambulance came, they took the guy out, not sure what happened to him.  After that I stopped going there and started going to the Waldenbooks at the Woburn Mall.