Richway

Started by NJF, January 16, 2005, 10:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJF

This was a discount store chain in the southeast owned by Rich's.  Target bought alot of their buildings after they folded in the mid 80's.  Does anyone else have any info on them or pics perhaps?

NJF

Here is the store logo:

store215

Well the Rich's Department Store chain in Georgia and around there was bought by Federated (Macy's) several years ago, so that is probably when the discount stores faded away.

As a side note, Macy's is in the process of getting rid of the Rich's, Burdines, and Lazurus names (they were being co-branded ____-Macy's).

NJF

Thought I would add this photo of a Rich's that's still in business in the Atlanta area.  This one appears to be untouched in terms of remodeling is concerned.  Very vintage both inside and out, they even have a auto care center.  They do however have Rich's-Macy's signage on the front windows.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by NJF
Thought I would add this photo of a Rich's that's still in business in the Atlanta area.  This one appears to be untouched in terms of remodeling is concerned.  Very vintage both inside and out, they even have a auto care center.  They do however have Rich's-Macy's signage on the front windows.

From what I heard, they are all being remodeled. That won't look like that much longer. (Do other Rich's stores have an auto center? It seems kind of odd for a "Macy's" store to still have an auto center)

NJF

Here is what the typical Richway looked like, most sported the wedge-shaped ceiling lights like this one.  This one in Charlotte, NC was turned into a Target in the late 80's but closed in 1996.  It has sat doormant since although it appears part of the building may be getting used.

Anonymous

I visited the old Richway store in Charlotte, recently, and it is composed of mainly hispanic shops. It was once booming!!:cool::bum:

Zayre88

Rich's launched Richway in 1968:yup:

stillmn1us

This was Target Store 396 that closed in July of 2001. It was a Richway before Target and before Richway I heard it was an Ames but not sure, maybe someone can help me out with that.

stillmn1us

Another view of the front of the store. These pics were taken a couple of weeks before the store closed in 2001. This was one of the six orginal Target Stores that were opened in Florida in 1989. All six were former Richways and five of the six were identical to this store. There is only one of the original six still open, Target Store 391 in West Palm Beach. And of those six buildings only three are still standing and occupied by other retail stores. This particular store is now a disgusting discount furniture store. As soon as I get pics I will post what it looks like now.

ameskmart1

Former Richway
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

df559

I have on an old commercial demo LP a jingle for Richway that goes something like

"Everything under the sun at Richway....
Low... Prices under the sun at Richway..."

Makes more sense after seeing the Richway "sun" logo.

d_fife

This was a discount store chain in the southeast owned by Rich's.  Target bought alot of their buildings after they folded in the mid 80's.  Does anyone else have any info on them or pics perhaps?

what was richway? what kind of a retail chain was it and was it similar to and what was their store sizes and what states where they in?

store215

They were similar to Target, probably a little lower-end than them though. They were in southern states that had "Rich's Department Stores" (which are now Macy's) I think the majority of their stores were in the Georgia area.

richway987

Here is what the typical Richway looked like, most sported the wedge-shaped ceiling lights like this one.  This one in Charlotte, NC was turned into a Target in the late 80's but closed in 1996.  It has sat doormant since although it appears part of the building may be getting used.

there were a total of four richways in charlotte. only two of them are left standing. both of them have the wedge-shaped skylights