Service Merchandise

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

hears a thing about Service Merchandise closing in 2002:(

Jan 5, 2002

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--Service Merchandise Co., a specialty retailer that filed for bankruptcy protection in March 1999, said Friday it will cut about 500 jobs and begin shutting down all 216 stores, including 20 in the Chicago area, because of poor sales.

Service Merchandise plans to ask a bankruptcy judge in Nashville to approve its liquidation request at a Jan. 18 hearing. Its going- out-of-business sales are scheduled to begin a day later.

The Brentwood, Tenn.-based company, which had said in February it would emerge from bankruptcy after Christmas, said sales were hurt by the terrorist attacks and the recession.

Service Merchandise "didn't have a real identity and lacked a firm image. It was a store that was there," said analyst Kurt Barnard, president of Barnard's Retail Trend Report. "That was not enough to prevail in a fiercely competitive environment.

"Without the recession, they had a very difficult stance," he added. "With the recession, their position was made untenable."

The company expects to file a plan for distributing money to creditors by Sept. 30. Common shareholders are expected to receive nothing under the plan.

Shares of Service Merchandise fell 1.4 cents to 0.4 cent.

The 500 employees to be fired by the end of January comprise about half of the company's corporate, distribution and sales support workers, the company said. Another 8,300 store employees will remain through the going-out-of-business sales.
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

Jan 5, 2002

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--Service Merchandise Co., a specialty retailer that filed for bankruptcy protection in March 1999, said Friday it will cut about 500 jobs and begin shutting down all 216 stores, including 20 in the Chicago area, because of poor sales.

YOU KNow, I WAS NOT SURRPISED THAT THEY WENT OUT. THE DAY THE ANNOUNCED THIS I WENT TO THE ONE In saugus and overheard the people say they were going out. I was wondering when they would get out.

SErvice merchandise de-diddly stunk because it scaled back on merchandise, like Toys and sporting stuff and other stuff and reduced their store to half. When they were in operation still, the closed down space got leased to stores like Micheals (Nashua NH, relocated location) and Bed, bath and beyond (Salem NH)

MY dad said they went downhill. THEY CLOSEd 216 stores in 1999, I saw one vacant in BAngor when I went there in 1999. And closed like 50 in 1997. They had one in PResque Isle (I have never been that far north in maine, but saw it in the catologe locations and a 1994 article in the bangor paper said it was closing due to the economy).

Service Merchandise plans to ask a bankruptcy judge in Nashville to approve its liquidation request at a Jan. 18 hearing. Its going- out-of-business sales are scheduled to begin a day later.

The Brentwood, Tenn.-based company, which had said in February it would emerge from bankruptcy after Christmas, said sales were hurt by the terrorist attacks and the recession.

Service Merchandise "didn't have a real identity and lacked a firm image. It was a store that was there," said analyst Kurt Barnard, president of Barnard's Retail Trend Report. "That was not enough to prevail in a fiercely competitive environment.

"Without the recession, they had a very difficult stance," he added. "With the recession, their position was made untenable."

The company expects to file a plan for distributing money to creditors by Sept. 30. Common shareholders are expected to receive nothing under the plan.

The 500 employees to be fired by the end of January comprise about half of the company's corporate, distribution and sales support workers, the company said. Another 8,300 store employees will remain through the going-out-of-business sales.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
YOU KNow, I WAS NOT SURRPISED THAT THEY WENT OUT. THE DAY THE ANNOUNCED THIS I WENT TO THE ONE In saugus and overheard the people say they were going out. I was wondering when they would get out.

SErvice merchandise de-diddly stunk because it scaled back on merchandise, like Toys and sporting stuff and other stuff and reduced their store to half. When they were in operation still, the closed down space got leased to stores like Micheals (Nashua NH, relocated location) and Bed, bath and beyond (Salem NH)

MY dad said they went downhill. THEY CLOSEd 216 stores in 1999, I saw one vacant in BAngor when I went there in 1999. And closed like 50 in 1997. They had one in PResque Isle (I have never been that far north in maine, but saw it in the catologe locations and a 1994 article in the bangor paper said it was closing due to the economy).

Jan 5, 2002

it all depends onm location my service merchandise was a great store the only proble was it was outdated
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

Heres our local SM. Shuttered since 98 or 99.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67

o wow cool pic was teh log white or was it red and the red just pades or was taken off>???

try and get pics through the window if u can heh
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67

such a well keeped store heh
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears one that got hit by a hurrcane
Caldor Forever!

truviking05

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
hears one that got hit by a hurrcane

Sigh thats a sad pic.

The signs problably trash now.:(

Actually, it's not--I believe that store's in Florida. I have pictures of it. Signage is still up, strangely enough.

Caldor1999

it got damages pritty badley the store iwas still in bizz at he time there was a Hpomedepot that got hit so so so bad lol:):insane:
Caldor Forever!

truviking05

it got damages pritty badley the store iwas still in bizz at he time there was a Hpomedepot that got hit so so so bad lol:):insane:

What are you talking about---the hurricane ht store? That was closed down long, long ago, before the hurricanes...and hate to nitpick, but I just don't find it funny when any store--Home Depot or not--gets hit by hurricanes. I lived through the ones of Summer 2004--nothing I ever, ever want to see again. Sorry if I sounded rude, but it's just something I feel. I don't know if you've ever experienced it, but driving down the road and seeing once familiar places rendered unrecognizable by a deadly force of nature like a hurricane is no picnic.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05

What are you talking about---the hurricane ht store? That was closed down long, long ago, before the hurricanes...and hate to nitpick, but I just don't find it funny when any store--Home Depot or not--gets hit by hurricanes. I lived through the ones of Summer 2004--nothing I ever, ever want to see again. Sorry if I sounded rude, but it's just something I feel. I don't know if you've ever experienced it, but driving down the road and seeing once familiar places rendered unrecognizable by a deadly force of nature like a hurricane is no picnic.

o hey im sorry about that i was lafeing that home depot got hit because i hate that store but ive been though a hurrcan my self not a really really bd one this one just caused alot of floudeing and such sorry if i offended you in any way
Caldor Forever!

truviking05

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05

o hey im sorry about that i was lafeing that home depot got hit because i hate that store but ive been though a hurrcan my self not a really really bd one this one just caused alot of floudeing and such sorry if i offended you in any way

It's okay! You didn't really offend me--it's just that I am now really, really sensitive about this stuff. Charley was NOT a pretty sight--landfall was in a town heartbreakingly close to mine, and for awhile we thought it was coming right for us. :(

Caldor1999

hears my idea for a new service merchandise logo with a dimound at the end heh
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

A closed Service Merchandise, somewhere...

shakethis1234

I bought a vigeogame from Service Mechandise I handed the cashier the slip and paid for the game then you waited for the game come down the Convaer Belt that was cool

Caldor1999

yea they were a cool store eh u can get stuff frmo there web sight now
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

My only experience with Service Merchandise was in Antioch Tennessee. My mom had applied for a job with them. The store was very well layed out and eligent (SP?). It was a very nice store and made me think of a rich people's store. I will never forget that. If only i would've known more at the time and now.

d_fife

this service merchandise was in Plattsburgh in the Champlain Centre mall and was 53,000 square feet. It closed in Spring 1999 in a round of closings when SErvice merchandise closed 135 stores. In Fall 2004 the store was replaced by GAnder Mountain.

Caldor1999

this service merchandise was in Plattsburgh in the Champlain Centre mall and was 53,000 square feet. It closed in Spring 1999 in a round of closings when SErvice merchandise closed 135 stores. In Fall 2004 the store was replaced by GAnder Mountain.

cool pic do u have anymore i know u seem to have alor of bradlees and caldor pics
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

this service merchandise is in white belt plaza in Totowa new jersey.

ngoldstein@thegoldsteingroup.com of the www.siteride.com

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears the indore en to this service emrchandise this store had to leviles
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

this service merchandise is in paramus.

from Site Ride Headlines of www.siteride.com

d_fife

this service merchandise is in lake grove new york

d_fife

Caldor1999

this service merchandise is in paramus.

is that one still vacant???
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

this service merchandise is in lake grove new york

that looks simaler to teh Jefferson Vally Mall Location lol do u have a picture of the Jefferson Valley mall Service merchandise
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

the store to the left of Kids r us was Service merchandise. it is now Bed bath beyond and a relocated Michaels. This was in NAshua and opened in spring 1991. none of the new hampshire stores closed in bankruptcy.

Did you know that service merchandise closed 133 stores or 35% of their stores when they entered bankruptcy and did away with half their departments.

From David Salvage of http://www.storetrax.com/stx/showProperty.do?centerId=3204

d_fife

this service merchandise was in south burlington vermont and opened 1975 and is a furniture store and is 70000 sf.

from Brian Waxler of http://www.storetrax.com/stx/showProperty.do?centerId=2926