Service Merchandise

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmx10101

Here is a ten minute youtube video that employees made when the store was closing.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

HoJofan206

Our former Service Merchandise is not a Bed, Bath, and Beyond too!:roll:

HoJofan206

Oops, the previous post should read IS NOW not "not" :insane:

Caldor1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK8XWs273jg

this ha sa service merchandise commrical in it but theres also a few outher ones to this is from 1989
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

Here's a label scar of Service Merchandise on the former location in Derby, Connecticut. The entire strip is now home to Big Lots and Staples. (I tried to bring it out more by distorting the colors/contrast).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Service Merchandise ceases to exist as an online retailer!

It appears they are now, officially, out of business. Their domain links to a "$.99 Cent Stuff" liquidation site. Wikipedia claims the site disappeared on March 26, 2007.

Look here: http://www.servicemerchandise.com/
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dmx10101

99cent stuff is also owned by the man that ran service merchandise.com and the stores before it went out of business- Raymond Zimmerman.

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Service Merchandise ceases to exist as an online retailer!

It appears they are now, officially, out of business. Their domain links to a "$.99 Cent Stuff" liquidation site. Wikipedia claims the site disappeared on March 26, 2007.

Look here: http://www.servicemerchandise.com/
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

store215

99 cent stuff is a dollar store chain in South Florida..which makes sense since  the old site was registered out of Florida. I didn't know they were connected.

ameskmart1

Former exterior entrance for a Service Merchandise in the San Jacinto Mall located in Baytown, Texas (from Labelscar.com)
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Former interior entrance for the San Jacinto Mall Service Merchandise (from Labelscar.com)
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Zayre88

Half of the former Service Merchandise in Augusta, Maine became a Dollar Tree.  Last week i learned that the remaining part will become a Big Lots...

ameskmart1

dmx10101

In store ad from Service Merchandise when they discontinued alot of the departments they sold-

GOB ad from the paper-

Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

beachgal26

I checked today and it said that the page had been removed.  Anyone know what is going on with them?

:huh:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
I checked today and it said that the page had been removed.  Anyone know what is going on with them?

:huh:

i went on it yestruday nd it worked idk whats up with the service merchandise websight

but it does say under construction

http://www.servicemerchandise.com/
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

the website has been down for a while...probably out of business.

Edit: oops, the site is back up, but it doesn't look very updated

Caldor1999

wish i could find out whats up with the sight
Caldor Forever!

beachgal26

It looks like all they're selling is jewelry which is not smart considering the millions of sites to go to.  Their main focus in the 70's and early 80's was variety and quality, so I'm not sure how long they'll last this time.

:no:

dmx10101

I think they are working on the site still. because from the main page all you see is Jewelry for sale. but if you click on "© 1999-2006 Service Merchandise, "Fine Discount Jewelry Store Online"
For Customer Service Call 1-561-999-9815 M-F, 9 A.M. - 6 P.M. EST" at the very bottom of the page it brings up the site map and you can see they are selling a little bit of everything- electronics, toys, sporting goods, even have a dollar store section.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

TRU7536

The Newington store which became a Stickley and Audi furniture store is cloing, if not yet soon. However, it already has a new company moving in. LA Fitness will take over the building, their already applying for permits with the town. the funny part they really want to move into Newington, bc their were one of the 3 orignal companys to move into the Caldor building before Stews took over.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Here's the former Service Merchandise in Auburn, Mass. across the Auburn Mall. Found this nifty image searching Microsoft's Virtual Earth. This store is confirmably a Bed, Bath & Beyond now.
Wow, I remember seeing this Service Merchandise every time I went to the Auburn Mall, which used to have a Caldor as well.  This is directly across the intersection from the mall.  I remember coming here until they closed, which a few years later BB&B moved in, tiling the entire store front with plate glass windows.

The store behind it was and still is an old-school Shaws.

I agree, it looks like their website might be slowlyphasing out or something.  It looks like they have room for other categories along the top, but only Jewelry.

tokensafari

Here is a pic of the main entrance to the former HQ.

tokensafari

tokensafari

Does anyone know anything about HQ? I am curious if this was a distribution center or one of them. I know it was related to HQ somehow... i could be wrong.. but anyone know anything about this building?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
Here is a pic of the main entrance to the former HQ.

whats in there now btw nice pic
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

several offices. they divided it up for 8 different companies.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here the closed Service Merchandise in Auburn ME.

The rain unveiled the labelscar on the brick wall :yup:

That former Service Merchandise is now a Dollar Tree and Bed, Bath & Beyond.  The labelscar is still visible !!

Ameskid

WOW! That is the biggest on-store sign I have (n)ever seen.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Great Eastern

Not begin rude to the friendly folk on the forum but Service Merchandise is no big loss for me.  I really didn't like them or Consumers Distributing.   You fill out those cheesey little order forms, hand it over to the clerk and 8 out of 10 times you hear," It is not in stock".

I remember back in the Atari 2600 and Intellivision craze back in 1980 to 1983 SM would advertise the new game releases like mad in the Star Ledger and Asbury Park Press.  You get there, hand your form over to hear those dreaded words.

I had a friend who worked for one in North Jersey and he said one of the stores biggest problems was that a lot of stores (including the Wayne, NJ one he worked in) kept a lot of non-moving stock in the warehouse.  He remembers working there in the mid-1980's and seeing stock for the 70's in there that wasn't even listed in their catalog.  He worked for a few others as a "floater" and they all were the same way.

Not putting down the people who liked SM.  I mean I was a Two Guys and Great Eastern person and I know a lot of people who didn't like them too.  But to me, SM (and Consumers Dist.) were just waste of prime real estate.

Caldor1999

heres a vacant one in Jackson, TN  i love the old logo hah
Caldor Forever!