enfield square mall

Started by d_fife, January 16, 2006, 02:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

the enfield square mall is an older and smaller mall in enfield connecticut off exits 48 and 47 on hazard drive. it was built in 1971. i vistied this mall last summer. The mall had a 126,000 square foot target, a 75,000 square foot filene's home store, 161,720 square foot filene's, a 109,500 square foot sears. it looked like the mall was renovated a long time ago. the target had a wierd entrance as you can only enter through the mall. The mall was called Westfield Shoppingtown and the GLA is 843,000 square feet. Why is it called westfield. I heard that JCpenny closed 5 years ago and is now Filene's home store. Filene's was steigers and will become macy's. the mall had fye and kb toys. the target was added in fall 2001. old navy was in thje mall. on the mall premisis is wendy's and a vacant chi chi's and the mall had a cinema and 80 stores.

dayville81

The mall has a Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Panera Bread, old Ruby Tuesday's restaurant, and a Wetzel's Pretzels. The cinema has stadium seating and is state-of-the-art and has no outside entrance but is located near Sears. I believe the old JC Penney had 2 floors but Filenes Home Store just uses one. A mall that went through cycles, hurt by the opening of the Holyoke Mall but it is doing really well now. I heard an Outback Steakhouse will open this spring and a Starbuck's and Quizno's Subs is on an outparcel in the back of the mall. Across the mall is a shopping center with a recently opened Best Buy and a Kohls.

Marc82

Quote from: d_fife on January 16, 2006, 02:26:29 AM
The mall was called Westfield Shoppingtown and the GLA is 843,000 square feet. Why is it called westfield.

The Mall was owned by the Westfield Group. They sold it to another Australian Company called Centro who changed the name back to Enfield Square. I don't know if Centro will continue to own this mall as Centro is having financial difficulties and sold off quite of few of their properties including the AMES Plaza in Southington, CT. Here is the Enfield Mall's new website: http://www.shopenfieldmall.com/

JJBers

Possibly going to the mall next weekend.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on October 15, 2017, 09:17:14 PM
That's been delayed to hopefully sometime before Nov. 9.
My Flickr

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on October 26, 2017, 08:52:01 PM
Sorry for the spam on this thread, but there's a high chance it might be tonight!
My Flickr

giantsfan2016

I've gotta see if I can find it. The other day The Hartford Courant ran an article stating the town of Enfield submitted the mall site to Amazon. There are 51 tenants in the mall. Target and Enfield Square Cinemas are the anchors.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Brammy on November 01, 2017, 11:13:43 AM
I've gotta see if I can find it. The other day The Hartford Courant ran an article stating the town of Enfield submitted the mall site to Amazon. There are 51 tenants in the mall. Target and Enfield Square Cinemas are the anchors.

If Amazon put their HQ2 there, I wonder what would happen to Target... I doubt CT will win the HQ2 sweepstakes, thou.

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on November 01, 2017, 07:47:12 AM
Quote from: JJBers on October 26, 2017, 08:52:01 PM
Sorry for the spam on this thread, but there's a high chance it might be tonight!
After 2 weeks, I finally took some photos.
Photo link
My Flickr

danfifepsu

I think the Holyoke Mall wll be the only mall left between Albany and Worcester. the Berkshre mall in pittsfield is worse than this.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on November 01, 2017, 09:26:24 PM
I think the Holyoke Mall wll be the only mall left between Albany and Worcester. the Berkshre mall in pittsfield is worse than this.
This isn't in between, this is in a whole different state. But I do think this might be starting to close in the next few years.
My Flickr

giantsfan2016

Quote from: JJBers on November 01, 2017, 10:13:49 PMBut I do think this might be starting to close in the next few years.

Unfortunately you're probably right. Too bad. I still think this mall would be perfect for Boscov's second location in Connecticut. It's far enough away from Meriden as to not cannibalize that location. Plus being right on the Massachusetts border the store can attract customers from both sides of the border. Party City is a 2017 addition to the mall. The mall is also owned by a bank. Although there is already a lot of vacant space in the mall the old Sears should be converted to more retail space. They could put larger stores in there - maybe Shoe Dept Encore and H&M. Plus maybe more restaurants. As for the other former Macy's perhaps that could be more retail space. Maybe part of it can become an LA Fitness. Maybe a Christmas Tree Shop? The two closest locations for Christmas Tree Shop is 16 miles North at the Holyoke Mall and the other closest location is in Manchester, CT.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on November 02, 2017, 04:46:29 AM
Quote from: JJBers on November 01, 2017, 10:13:49 PMBut I do think this might be starting to close in the next few years.

Unfortunately you're probably right. Too bad. I still think this mall would be perfect for Boscov's second location in Connecticut. It's far enough away from Meriden as to not cannibalize that location. Plus being right on the Massachusetts border the store can attract customers from both sides of the border. Party City is a 2017 addition to the mall. The mall is also owned by a bank. Although there is already a lot of vacant space in the mall the old Sears should be converted to more retail space. They could put larger stores in there - maybe Shoe Dept Encore and H&M. Plus maybe more restaurants. As for the other former Macy's perhaps that could be more retail space. Maybe part of it can become an LA Fitness. Maybe a Christmas Tree Shop? The two closest locations for Christmas Tree Shop is 16 miles North at the Holyoke Mall and the other closest location is in Manchester, CT.
While I wish that would happen, the space beyond Target was more and more deserted. I think it wouldn't be worth it to renovate the space into even more empty retail. But a new anchor could help, preferably in the old Macy's/JCPenney space.
Looking down to Macy's:

Enfield Square by JJBers, on Flickr
Now to Sears:

Enfield Square by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

Everything Community

When I visited that mall in December, 2019, there were a lot of vacancies though Stateline Video Games opened its doors for the first time some three weeks before I visited in some former store. While some stores are currently open in that property today, only one anchor left still exists at that mall, and that is Target which is thriving (to be honest with you, most people these days primarily enter the mall just to go to that store) which actually leads most customers to visit the mall as their main reason these days.