Meriden Square Mall

Started by dayville81, January 16, 2006, 02:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsons81

All those national chains shutting down reminds me of what happened to Northland Center in Southfield, Michigan, from sometime after it's 50th anniversary in 2004 and continuing today. That mall is over 50% vacant now.

ynkeesfn82

Forever 21 is going to be relocating to a bigger spot in the mall. I think it's going into the large vacant space on the 2nd floor in the Macy's wing where CVS and several other stores were once located. Also GAMESTOP has moved into the former Radio Shack. Gamestop's previous location and the vacant spot next to them are being combined into a big space.

ynkeesfn82

BOSCOV's is expected to take-over the former JC Penney at the Meriden Square Mall in Meriden, Connecticut. This will be their first store in Connecticut.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/7203845-129/jc-penney-space-at-meriden-mall-to-be-filled-by.html

TheFugitive

Interesting.  They bailed out of South Hills Village Mall here in Pittsburgh a few years ago,
despite the fact that Boscov's is a Pennsylvania company.  Target and Dick's Sporting Goods
have taken over that space.

TRU7536

It's a small comoany with about 43 stores and in 2009 filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 29, 2015, 04:08:27 PM
It's a small comoany with about 43 stores and in 2009 filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Yeah and they got out of bankruptcy in 2012.  They also stopped dealing in major appliances and electronics.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on April 28, 2015, 05:51:35 PM
BOSCOV's is expected to take-over the former JC Penney at the Meriden Square Mall in Meriden, Connecticut. This will be their first store in Connecticut.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/7203845-129/jc-penney-space-at-meriden-mall-to-be-filled-by.html

It is good to see that a new store may bring life back in to the old JCPenney. It has been a huge void in the mall for the past year.

ynkeesfn82

Hopefully this will reverse the trend of stores closing at the mall. It's my favorite mall in Connecticut. Westfarms is way too expensive and Brass Mill is too hard to get to for someone who doesn't drive the highway.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on April 29, 2015, 07:53:35 PM
Westfarms is way too expensive 

Sounds like the Galleria of Mt. Lebanon near me.  I have been in there perhaps twice in a decade.
Absolutely no reason for me to frequent that place.

- I don't smoke cigars.
- I'm not in the market for a piano
- And even if I were a cross-dresser, I'd refuse to pay those prices.

ynkeesfn82

One step forward another step back. While the mall is most likely getting a new anchor by way of Boscov's, they mall is losing longtime tenant Men's Warehouse to the adjacent Chamberlain Plaza. They are taking over the former free-standing Sleepy's in that Plaza. Sleepy's recently relocated from the free-standing building to the last remaining empty space next to DEALS and SAVER's in the former A&P Super Foodmart building.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/latestnews/7240828-129/mens-wearhouse-to-move-from-meriden-mall-to-former-sleepys.html

ynkeesfn82

Is Boscov's planning on expanding the old JCP that they're taking over? Two stores that are across from each other are moving out and it says it's due to the construction of Boscov's. Last week Men's Wear House announced it was moving to the nearby Chamberlain Highway in the old Sleepy's. Today there's an article that LensCrafters is closing due to the construction of Boscov's.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/7263738-129/more-changes-at-westfield-meriden-mall-lenscrafters-closing.html

The article also mentions the construction of the large Forever 21 on the 2nd Floor Macy's wing.

ynkeesfn82

Bosov's is opening this Thursday October 8th for a charity event. They replaced the old 1970s era JC Penney facade on the old JC Penney which they took over. See the photo on this article below.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/opinion/editorials/7827176-129/9-things-we-liked-and-3-we-didnt-like.html

ynkeesfn82

1. Boscov's opened in the former JC Penney on October 8th. On the 2nd floor they took the entire JC Penney space. On the 1st Floor not only did they take the entire JC Penney space they also took space that was adjacent to the JC Penney space. They took the Lens Crafters Space (they're completely gone). They took the PCX Clothing Company Space (They're completely gone). They took the Men's Warehouse Space (They relocated to the former Sleepy's in the Chamberlain Plaza. Sleepy's took the last vacant space in that plaza next to Deals). They took a vacant space that at one time was Spencer's. Spencer's moved a couple years ago to space elsewhere in the mall.

2. Forever 21 Red took over dead space in the Macy's wing on the 2nd Floor. A bunch of stores were combined into one big space a few years ago (including the former CVS) to make room for a big store that never opened. The store is odd shaped as it swings around Kay Jewelers.

3. Rainbow Clothing opened in the Dick's/Best Buy wing. I believe this was where Payless Shoes was.

4. Payless Shoes moved to the 1st Floor.

5. 2 vacancies remain in the food court. The old Taco Bell (most recently Taco Express) and space that at one time was KFC/Nathan's/Arthur Treacher's all-in one.

6. J. Box Jewelry relocated to the former Sleep Number store. This is the 3rd or 4th time they've moved. I think they've been robbed several times. I think they were next to Macy's on the 2nd floor and that spot is empty.

7. Gloria Jean's Coffee Beans, Hollister, and Tutti Fruti Yogurt remain vacant.

8. Game Stop moved into the old Radio Shack. They had to move as a result of the new F 21 Red.

9. Stride Rite moved to the first floor. They had to move as a result of the new F 21 Red.

10. There are 3 side-by-side vacant stores in the Macy's wing on the first floor in-between Thing Remembered and Eblen's. One space was most recently Chef's Equipment Emporium and the space to the right of that was Walden Books. Now Walden Books closed down something like 7 or 8 years ago. There sister chain Border's had opened a store in the mall and operated there until the chain's demise.

11. The former Deb Shop Space remains vacant.

12. A store called Track 23 opened in a space next to Old Navy that had been vacant for a long time.

Chuck E. Cheese

I recently visited (Westfield) Meriden Square. As some have said GameStop moved and their old apacw is vacant. Next to that is this weird rock/Japan/Vudu store called "4 Seasons".. You can see the bare wall, but its covered with Posters. They have a no pics policy but I snagged one of the old GameStop..correct me if I'm wrong but I remember on Caldor Rainbow they said it was Babbages or Software Etc. Originally.
http://i.imgur.com/6MHzqq1h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IEXvHIyh.jpg

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on January 24, 2016, 08:37:16 PM
I recently visited (Westfield) Meriden Square. As some have said GameStop moved and their old apacw is vacant. Next to that is this weird rock/Japan/Vudu store called "4 Seasons".. You can see the bare wall, but its covered with Posters. They have a no pics policy but I snagged one of the old GameStop..correct me if I'm wrong but I remember on Caldor Rainbow they said it was Babbages or Software Etc. Originally.
http://i.imgur.com/6MHzqq1h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IEXvHIyh.jpg

4 Seasons has been there for a long time. This location of GameStop was Radio Shack. The old Software Etc location was down by Sears and the Food Court. I think there's a salon there now.

Chuck E. Cheese

;D I Can totally see that being a Radio Shack. Now that I Think of it, the present day Gamestop has a similar sign I Think to Software Etc. I'll have to snap a photo next time I Go.

ynkeesfn82

McD's has closed. Harry's Eatery on the first floor may take its place.

McDonald’s closes at Meriden mall, Harry’s Eatery considering move to food court

Published: January 26, 2016 | Last Modified: January 26, 2016 05:49PM
By Mary Ellen Godin Record-Journal staff

MERIDEN â€" McDonald’s at Westfield Meriden mall served its last McDouble and shut off the deep fryers Sunday when it closed its doors at the second-floor food court.

In front of the former McDonald’s space is a sign for Harry’s Eatery that invites shoppers to head to the first floor for a variety of coffees, sandwiches, baked goods and smoothies. Harry’s Eatery owner Harry Patel, who has been on the first floor next to Hannoush Jewelry for 15 years, said he is considering a move to the food court.

“I’m thinking about it,” Patel said.

A mall spokeswoman said she couldn’t speak to the reason behind the McDonald’s closing.

“While we are sorry to see them leave the center, it presents us with the opportunity to bring in a new dining option,” said Westfield marketing director Katherine Bolas.

Patel said he has a dedicated customer base of seniors, many in wheelchairs, who have come to rely on getting a coffee for $1. But they also have told him he could get more exposure in the food court.

“Nobody knows I’m here,” he said of his first-floor location.

ynkeesfn82

H&M makes it official on March 8th that they are opening at The Meriden Square Mall.

H&M coming to Westfield Meriden

Published: March 8, 2016 | Last Modified: March 8, 2016 02:49PM

MERIDEN â€" H & M, Hennes & Mauritz announced Tuesday, it is moving into 23,000 square feet at the Westfield Meriden mall in the fall of 2016, according to a press statement.

“The new H&M location will offer Meriden residents a one-stop shopping destination for quality clothing for the whole family, with collections for ladies and men, as well as separate ‘store within a store’ sections for accessories,” according to the statement. “The Westfield Meriden location will also carry H&M’s children’s collection for newborns to fourteen year olds.”

The Meriden store is the ninth H&M in Connecticut and 450th store in the U.S. The retailer is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden and has 16,000 employees in the U.S.

Westfield Meriden has been shifting tenants on the upper level recently to make room for the retailer.

mgodin@record-journal.com (203) 317-2255 Twitter: @Cconnbiz

Chuck E. Cheese

http://imgur.com/a/r5Hm9

Photos from a recent visit. Saw a security car and some signs with the "Shoppingtown" name.

giantsfan2016

Vision Works opened on the 2nd floor of the mall near Boscov's.

That weird store next to Gentle Jungle Pet store called "Four Seasons" closed for good.

A group has started a petition to get Gentle Jungle shut down.

Rey Del Pollo is a new restaurant in the food court in-between Cajun Cafe and Charley's. 2 vacancies remain in the food court - the former Taco Bell and the former McDonald's.

giantsfan2016

February 2017 update.

Not too many vacancies left at the Meriden Square Mall. Then again over the past 10 years or so they eliminated many smaller store fronts to put in larger stores relocating some of the smaller stores. The first time they did this was for Steve and Barry's (now Shoe Department Encore). Then for Old Navy, Forever 21 Red, Boscov's (even though they took the old JCP store they took some mall space and a couple other stores on the first floor), and H&M.

Two vacancies remain in the Food Court. The old Taco Bell and the old McDonald's. They walled off the old McDonald's space and put in the "Westfield Meriden Mall Charging Station."

A store called "Under $5" opened in the old "4 Seasons" store next to Gentle Jungle. Judging by the name is seems like a rip-off of "Five Below."

As I mentioned in the Sears thread Sears seemed like it was bright and clean. I don't know what will happen when SHC finally pulls the plug.

Chuck E. Cheese

"4 Seasons" was that weird rock store, right?

Nice to know that it's full though. I love dead malls but they must be terrible for business.

giantsfan2016

The Meriden Square Mall is doing well. Plus this Boscov's leads the chain in housewares sales.

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Meriden mall defies retail trend by appealing to cost conscious consumer
May 23, 2017 12:24PM

MERIDEN â€" Two “fast fashion” retailers have helped fill vacancies at Westfield Meriden, keeping the mid-range mall with a low vacancy rate compared to others in its demographic, observers said.

H&M, a Swedish low-cost retailer, filled seven storefronts with its 22,000-square-foot store in the Macy’s wing on the mall’s second floor. Its Los-Angeles-based competitor, Forever 21 Red, occupies 19,000 square feet nearby. Zales Jewelers opened two stores in the lower level.

With the placement of H&M, Forever 21 Red and Macy’s Backstage, the mall has found success with tenants that meet the needs of a cost-minded demographic, observers said.

“I would say yes, we’re on the right track,” said Rosanne Ford, vice president of member services for the Midstate Chamber of Commerce.

Only three of the mall’s 95 storefronts are vacant. The jewelry retailer Mome will fill one storefront soon, according to mall signs.

Rue 21 on the lower level is due to close soon as part of a chainwide move to shutter 400 stores nationwide.

Boscov’s helped put the mall in a stable position after filling the space left vacant by J.C. Penney in 2015. The new anchor is setting chain records for housewares sales. The housewares department fills most of Boscov’s second floor.

“We’re still trying to establish our customer base,” said assistant store manager Hillary Kessler.

Sears, another mall anchor, has taken steps to turn around its business and reduce risk. The store announced earlier this year it was closing 180 Sears and Kmart stores, including stores in Enfield and Cromwell. The Meriden Sears was one of hundreds sold to a Sears real estate trust in February in a company money-raising effort, according to city records. Sears also finalized the sale of its Craftsman tool line to Stanley Black & Decker earlier this year for a net value of more than $900 million in cash, and raised $72.5 million by monetizing five Sears full-line stores and two Sears Auto Centers, and an additional $105 million in gross proceeds from the sale of three Sears full-line stores, one owned and two leased.

Westfield’s ability to fill space with service-oriented tenants, such as Visionworks, Meriden Family Dental, and a variety of phone service providers also appears to work in its favor.

“I do think we’re different because our mall seems to be stronger,” Ford said. “Boscov’s and Macy’s Backstage is another component of what is going on there.”

Earlier this year, the National Retail Federation projected retail industry sales, which exclude automobiles, gasoline stations and restaurants, will grow between 3.7 and 4.2 percent over 2016. Online and other non-store sales, which are included in the overall number, are expected to increase between 8 and 12 percent in 2017.

But consumer doubt over potential tax policies in Washington is impacting retailers’ bottom line.

“The economy is on firm ground as we head into 2017 and is expected to build on the momentum we saw late last year,” NRF President Matthew Shay said. “With jobs and income growing and debt relatively low, the fundamentals are in place and the consumer is in the driver’s seat. But this year is unlike any other â€" while consumers have strength they haven’t had in the past, they will remain hesitant to spend until they have more certainty about policy changes on taxes, trade and other issues being debated in Congress.”

mgodin@record-journal.com 203-317-2255

giantsfan2016

Bounce Indoor Inflatable Park opened on the first floor near Boscov's according to a post on the Westfield Meriden Facebook Page.

I haven't been to the mall in a long time. Right now I don't have a job or car. When my Mom goes to Boscov's she usually goes with one of her friends. She never takes me.

JJBers

Alright, I went to this mall, but I really had to rush, because my dad was only going to wait for 20 minutes. I managed to take some photos though.
Here are some here:
Sears

Sears (Westfield Meriden Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr
Road sign

Westfield Meriden Mall by JJBers, on Flickr
Best Buy

Best Buy (Westfield Meriden Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

I haven't been to the mall in over a year, but here's an update.

From the map on their website I count 12 vacant spaces which includes a space that is currently being used by H&R Block.

Two vacancies remain in the food court. The old McD's and The old Taco Express.

NY and Company which was supposed to close at the end of January got a six month extension.

Best Buy Mobile closed. The full-line Best Buy is still open.

Vision Works closed too. (They weren't even there two years).

giantsfan2016

Summer 2018 update. Sorry no pictures. Too many people and too many security personnel around.

1. There appears to be 12 in-line vacancies and 2 vacancies in the Food Court. The two vacancies are the old Taco Bell and Sarku (sp?) Japan.

2. Westfield is making this mall look nice.

3. After closing a few years ago, the arcade Wow Family Entertainment Center has reopened. They are in a different spot.

4. A place called Burger IM is opening in the former McDonald's space in the food court, meaning they no longer have  charging station. This gourmet burger place is popping up all over the country. https://www.burgerim.com/

5. Notable vacancies include the former 4 Seasons Store, which briefly was a store called Under $5, the former New York and Company Store, the former Gymboree store next to Crazy 8, and the former Parade of Novelty Sports store.

6. A new clothing store called Lettitful has opened in the former Deb location.

7. A hilarious sign (given the state of Sears Holding Corporation) hangs from the ceiling that reads "Sears, celebrating 125 Years. Since 1903."

BillyGr

Quote from: Brammy on August 26, 2018, 02:13:57 PM
7. A hilarious sign (given the state of Sears Holding Corporation) hangs from the ceiling that reads "Sears, celebrating 125 Years. Since 1903."

Totally makes no sense - they are actually over 125 years (if you count from the first sales of Richard Sears in 1886, that would make about 132 years) and the stores themselves came about in the mid 1920's (so just less than 100 years).  Not to mention that 1903 wouldn't even be 125 years ago (115 perhaps), but no particular idea why that date would be important.

giantsfan2016

There is the possibility that I read it wrong. Maybe it said "Celebrating 25 years since 1993." 1993 is when the Meriden store opened.

Chuck E. Cheese

Funny, I was there yesterday! Could have even passed by you without even noticing.

There's a new-ish food court restaurant, El Toro Grill. They occupy the space of the short-lived Rey Del Pollo next to Cajun Cafe/Japan Cafe and sell Mexican-American fare. $5.99 will get you a good taco with some spice french fries and a drink.

I've noticed Sears has more clothes but I haven't been to one in a while.  And yes, I saw that sign passing through. Google says Sears and Roebuck's was founded in 1892 which brings 125 to 2017.