Meriden Square Mall

Started by dayville81, January 16, 2006, 02:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

Went to Meriden Square today with a couple friends. Quite a few new stores.

Milano's - A clothing store on the 2nd Floor near JC Penney located in the former Weathervane (which was 2 or 3 other stores since Weathervane)

Sports Parade - A Sports Collectibles/Clothing Store located on the 2nd floor next to Milano's in the former Hallmark Goldcrown  Store (which relocated closer to Macy's in the Summer of 08).

Encore Shoe's - Located near Macy on the 1st Floor in the old Steve & Barry's.

And there was a new store selling Japanese Anime stuff located on the 2nd Floor where a different Sports Collectibles store was.

Also CAJUN CAFE in the Food Court is closed for remodel.

*Note: None of these new stores appear on their mall's website.

Marc82

March 2, 2010 update:

Parade of Sports and The Japanese Animation place are closed. I wonder if they were just there for the holidays. A new barber shop opened in the old Ritz Camera location. Several other stores have closed. Oh and most importantly inside the old KB Toys their signs and fixtures are still up. I was too scared to go to the leasing office to see if they would let me in there to snag pix.

Marc82

A Glow-in-the-dark Mini Golf Place has opened at the mall. My friend told me about it last week. And now here's an article in the paper.

http://myrecordjournal.com/latestnews/article_1e6d2efe-3da1-11df-b9c7-001cc4c03286.html

ynkeesfn82

That arcade never opened. Meanwhile as I mentioned a miniature golf course is on the first floor. And also they opened a Paint-Ball place in the former Disney Store. Lindt Chocolates has closed their store. But the biggest news is that Old Navy will be opening in the mall sometime in the Summer of 2011.

http://westfield.com/meriden/specialoffers/OldNavyArrivesSummer2011.html

ynkeesfn82

There are big changes happening at The Meriden Square.

The biggest news is Old Navy is opening in the mall this summer. It will be located on the Second Floor near Borders and Best Buy. As a result numerous stores have relocated.

Champs Sports moved into the former Hallmark and Weathervane stores on the Second Floor in the JC Penney Wing. (Most recently at Christmastime 09 this was F&J Sports and Milano's Clothing respetively).

Gold Buyers of America moved into an empty store next on the First Floor next to Deb Shop.

Nailtique nail salon moved into the former Ritz Camera Shop on the Second Floor in the JC Penney Wing. Most recently that spot was a urban targeted barber shop.

Relieve Stress - an Asian place that gives massages moved to the First Floor I believe in the space formerly occupied by an Urban targeted clothing store called Above Us.

New to the Mall: An arcade. I believe it's called Wow Family Entertainment Center. It's on the First Floor next to Glow-In-the-Dark Mini Golf.

Closed: The Paint Ball place in the former Disney Store, an Asian Place in the Food Court. I forget the name. It replaced Panda Express, and I forgot to mention it I noticed it quite a while ago - Dunkin Donuts is gone from the food court as well.

ynkeesfn82

Update again: Software, Etc is shutting down for good on February 27th. They were a long time tenant. I'm not sure how many Software, Etc stores are left nationwide. I know they got taken over by Gamestop. And it says visit Game Stop at the Westfield Meriden Square Mall. And a portrait studio that was next door to the newly relocated Champs Store is closed.

ynkeesfn82

A woman taking care of mentally challenged people was stabbed by one of the people she was taking care of at The Mall Food Court on Thursday.\

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/article_9f0ee21c-4b44-11e0-a22d-001cc4c002e0.html

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on February 12, 2011, 02:38:26 AM
Relieve Stress - an Asian place that gives massages moved to the First Floor I believe in the space formerly occupied by an Urban targeted clothing store called Above Us.

They moved again. I forgot where. LOL.

Anyway J. Box Jewelry moved from the 2nd Floor Near Macy's to the 2nd Floor next to the relocated Champs store. Magic Carpet Toys, which has occupied the former CVS for several years is going out of business. And a new store called Smart Toys is moving into the former KB Toys.

ynkeesfn82

According to this article Westfield officials had someone interested in the former CVS and told the owner of Magic Carpet Toys he had 3 weeks to pack up his crap and leave.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/article_4e1f4902-5fb5-11e0-b8f5-001cc4c03286.html

ynkeesfn82

October 2011 Update:

Christmas Tree Shop is opening a temporary store called Christmas Tree Shop Express in the mall in the location formerly occupied by the mini golf course. It will be 6800 Sq. Feet and open November thru January. It is on the 1st floor in the Macy's wing.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/article_af8ff1dc-f4f2-11e0-8e6c-001cc4c03286.html

A new candy shop opened in the former Software, Etc location. 

A new Asian place opened in the food court where the other Asian place was. It's called "Asian Fusion".

Smart Toys an educational toy store, which opened earlier this year in the former KB Store in the Best Buy/Dicks Wing closed. It has been replaced by "Halloween Adventure."

Signs and fixtures remain at the now-closed Border's. They also remain on the mall directory.

Sports Parade (which I think could be just open for the holidays) opened in the old CVS, which up until earlier this year was a toy store called Magic Carpet Toys.

Old Navy opened in May next to Borders. (If they weren't in such a hurry to move there from Townline Square, they could've taken over the old Borders).

Rue 21 took over 2 store fronts on the 1st Floor. in the Penny's wing. It took over the former Disney Store and the former Bath and Body Works location, which moved to the 2nd Floor Sears Wing a couple years back.

ynkeesfn82

3/29/12 Update:

Spencer's is moving from the 1st floor JC Penney wing to the Sears Wing 1st Floor

Smart Toys reopened in the old KB.

The OLD CVS (and later Magic Carpet Toys) remains empty.

Border's remains empty.

A new place to eat called What-a-Deli opened in the Food Court. It's where Everything Yougurt Banana Cafe whatever was located. Now there's just one vacancy in the Food Court which was a KFC/Nathan's/Arthur Treachers all-in-one deal.

ynkeesfn82

Christmas Tree Shoppes is opening in the old Border's this fall. (No signs up yet).

Parade of Sports Novelties has opened in the old CVS.

Mrs. Field's is closed. It is being replaced by Gold Buyer's of America, which moved to a temporary kiosk after closing down their store next to The Deb Shop. That spot remains empty.

A Gelato stand opened in the back of the food court against the escalators where Dunkin' Donuts once was.

Sunglass Hut closed.

Smart Toys closed.

Spencer's opened in their new location. Former location remains empty.

A new hair cut place opened next to the new Gold Buyers of America location. Now there are 3 places to get your hair did.

Also coming this fall to the food court: Chicken Now.

ynkeesfn82

Parade of Sports Novelties has moved into the former KB Toys.

The deal for Christmas Tree Shoppes has apparently fallen through, though an "Chrtistmas Tree Shoppes Express" has opened in the borders.

The former Spencer's is now the candy shop that opened in the old Software, etc.

The former Software, Etc is going to be a relocated nail salon

ynkeesfn82

February 2013 update:

A new woman's store called Xrse is opening on the second floor in the Macy's wing. It's going to be huge. It starts where the former CVS was located and goes all the way down to Macy's.

The candy store in the old Spencer's closed down. Chicken Now which was supposed to open in the Food Court never opened. The Gelato stand is gone. On the first floor another cellphone store is opening right near Best Buy Mobile and Pretzel Maker is opening next to the new cellphone store. Pretzel Maker already has 2 locations in the mall one near the Food Court and a kiosk in the Best Buy wing.

Also new to the mall (open about 2 months now I think) - Tutti-Frutti a self-serve Frozen Yogurt place. Side note frozen yogurt is getting to be popular again. Several frozen yogurt places have popped up all over the place the past couple months including one here at The Meriden Square, one in Southington across from Price Chopper, one in Bristol in a building that has been at least a 10 different things since KFC moved closer to Jerome Avenue many years ago, and one in West Hartford in the former Friendly's.

ynkeesfn82

Xsre fell through, so there is nothing on that side of the mall. 2 more empty store fronts across from this site. Ulta Beauty is opening this fall on the 2nd floor next to Radio Shack. I don't remember what this used to be. The Deal for Christmas Tree Shop fell through as well, so the former Border's store remains vacant. A mini mart opened in the space that used to be Spencer's on the first floor. It's called Square Market. They sell the usual array of crap - lotto tickets, snacks, sodas, energy drinks, cancer sticks, etc.

ynkeesfn82

Pac-Sun Clothing Closed down as well. They put two frozen dessert vending machines in the food court where KFC/Arthur Treachers/Nathan's used to be in-between Cajun Cafe and Charley's.

ynkeesfn82

There was a minor fire at Harry's Eatery on the first floor of the Meriden Square at 2AM this morning. There wasn't any damage to any other stores.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/2416305-129/electrical-fire-causes-minor-damage-to-store-in-meriden-mall.html

ynkeesfn82

2 new retailers will be opening at the Meriden Square Mall in 2014. Marshall's will be opening in the former Border's location and a local kitchen chain called Chef's Equipment Emporium will be opening in the Macy's wing on the 2nd floor, where Xrse was supposed to open.

Chef's Equipment Emporium has several stores in Connecticut including in the former Huffman-Koos in nearby Berlin, Connecticut. They owner of Chef's Equipment Emporium also owns a large scale adult-type chain store called Very Intimate Pleasures - V.I.P.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on December 04, 2013, 09:40:36 PM
2 new retailers will be opening at the Meriden Square Mall in 2014. Marshall's will be opening in the former Border's location

According to this article it's TJ MAXX, not Marshall's. http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/3117418-129/tj-maxx-coming-to-westfield-mall.html

ynkeesfn82

Francesca's is also opening at the mall.

ynkeesfn82

Taco Bell in the food court is gone replaced by something called Taco Express.

ynkeesfn82

Okay. I was wrong. Chef's Equipment Emporium is in it's permanent location. First Floor Macy's Wing. In 2011 it was the space was used for Christmas Tree Shop Express. In 2012 it was used for Spirit Halloween and the temporary Toy Store run by Spirit. Both are owned by Spencer's.

A new clothing store for plus size woman - Fashion to Figure has opened on the first floor in between Torrid (another clothing store for plus size woman) and Zumiez.

In the Food Court "What A Deli" has closed for good.

Pretzel Maker has opened a 3 location. The new one is on the first floor. The other two are a kiosk on the 2nd floor in the Dick's/Best Buy Wing and the other is a location on the 2nd floor right by the food court.

Square Market - a convenience store moved and has since closed. Their original location in the old Spencer's (which moved to a different wing) is now a store called Bling Bling.

The Francesca Collection is opening on the 2nd floor JCP wing next to Champs in a corner store front that was most recently J. Box Jewelry. (It's been several things since the other jewelery store that was there previously closed down).

The largest vacancy in the mall is the right side of the Macy's Wing on the 2nd floor.  It's empty from Kay Jewelers down to Macy with one empty store front they're setting up as a temporary H&R Block office as they do every year. This big empty space was supposed to be Xsre but that fell through.

P.S. The mall map on their website hasn't been updated yet. http://www.westfield.com/meriden

ynkeesfn82

JC Penney is closing at the Meriden Square Mall in May. It's one of 33 closing nationwide.

http://www.wggb.com/2014/01/15/jcpenney-to-cut-2000-jobs-close-33-stores/

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/3415460-129/jc-penney-to-close-location-in-westfield-meriden-mall.html

My thoughts: Maybe now they'll be able to get Christmas Tree Shop to open at the mall. They were supposed to open a smaller size store in the old Border's (which is going to be a TJ MAXX), but that fell through because of no loading dock. No doubt JCP has a loading dock. Maybe the other part of the old store can become a movie theater. At one time they were talking about putting a movie theater in the mall.

ynkeesfn82

ynkeesfn82

Facade Work being done on the exterior of the Westfield Meriden Square Mall for TJ MAXX. This spot was previously a Border's Book Store. This section of the mall was built for a short-lived Lord & Taylor. After they closed the space was divided into Best Buy, Dicks, and Border's.

Picture taken by me today 2/11/14.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21191136@N03/12469607815/

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on December 20, 2013, 09:57:30 AM
Taco Bell in the food court is gone replaced by something called Taco Express.

Was at the Mall on August 29th for an interview. Taco Express has since closed. A new nail salon opened in the former Software, Etc on the 2nd floor across from the Food Court, adjacent to Sears. JC Penney remains vacant. Verizon Wireless moved to Route 5 in Wallingford. Francesca's opened. There are quite a few vacancies.  I wouldn't call the mall dead yet, but I'd call it in Critical Condition. If Sears closes, then I would say it's time to bulldoze the place.

Right now there are 2 anchors - Macy's and Sears. Then Best Buy, TJ MAXX, and Dick's are Junior Anchors.

I know Dillard's does not have any stores in Connecticut, but I think Meriden Square should become their first store in Connecticut.

ynkeesfn82

Best Buy is closing November 1st. Chef's Equipment Emporium has closed.

ynkeesfn82

This diagram which is from The Meriden Record-Journal's website shows all the vacancies at the mall. The area opposite Macy's was JC Penney.

http://tinyurl.com/MeridenMallvacancies

ynkeesfn82

As mentioned in the store closing topics Deb is closing all their stores so another vacancy. Hollister will be closing too. The Coffee Beanery also closed. Best Buy did not close on November 1st as previously announced. They ended up signing a 2 year lease renewal instead. Chef Equipment Emporium was not closed, but when I was at the mall on 12/28 it sure as hell looked like it was closing. Radio Shack was having their going out of business sale on 12/28 also. A new cell phone store replaced the Verizon Store which moved to nearby Wallingford. Sprint and T-Mobile which both had stores in kiosks have actual real in-line stores now. New in the food court is Frankie's Famous Hotdogs of Waterbury. Coming soon to the food court is Thai Spice in a spot that had been vacant for a long time that was most recently a KFC/Arthur Treacher's/Nathan's all in on deals.

ynkeesfn82

Will the last store to vacate the Meriden Square Mall please turn out the lights? Another one gone. Tutti Fruti Frozen Yogurt is gone. As is Chef's Equipment Emporium.

H&R Block opened its seasonal mall location on the 2nd Floor in the Macy's wing, but not in their usual spot. This year they are across the hall from were they had been in years past. Of course where they had been in years past has poor visibility unless you were coming out of Macy's. View of that spot is completely blocked by a fake wall where a new big size retailer was supposed to open, but never did.

As mentioned in the Sears thread Sears is not closing in 2015. They own their space there, but they did not rule out being sold or downsized.