Meriden Square Mall

Started by dayville81, January 16, 2006, 02:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayville81

Anchored by Sears, JC Penney, Filene's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Best Buy. One of the smallest Best Buys I have ever been in. They took over less than half of the old Lord and Taylor store and Dick's took over such a small part of the store they had to leave the two esculators in the store that go up to the upper level of the garage. These truly are the esculators to nowhere as they appear to go to a second level of the store and one does not realize there is no second level until they reach the top and look out the window.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
Anchored by Sears, JC Penney, Filene's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Best Buy. One of the smallest Best Buys I have ever been in. They took over less than half of the old Lord and Taylor store and Dick's took over such a small part of the store they had to leave the two esculators in the store that go up to the upper level of the garage. These truly are the esculators to nowhere as they appear to go to a second level of the store and one does not realize there is no second level until they reach the top and look out the window.

this mall was built in 1971 and the gla is currently 750000 squarefeet. best buy and dick's replaced lord and taylor in late 2003. disney store is in the mall. it is in meriden Connecticut off rt. 691

this article from says http://www.icsc.org/srch/front/9806260054.html
Barnes & Noble picks Meriden, Conn., mall for prototype store
Barnes and Noble has picked Meriden Square Mall, Meriden, Conn., to launch its prototype store, Ink, that will be devoted entirely to newspapers and magazines. The store, which in August is going into a closed B. Dalton bookstore site, will carry newspapers and magazines from around the world, J. Bruce Eagleson, Meriden Square?s general manager, told ICSCNET.
The 3,500-square-foot store will be followed by about three more by October, according to Leonard S. Riggio, CEO of Barnes & Noble Inc., in an interview he gave to Business Week. Mr. Riggio, an avid art collector, also told Business Week he is thinking about opening art stores that will sell everything from posters to original pieces.

Mr. Eagleton said the Ink store?s opening will coincide with the start of an expansion that will add 70,000-square-feet of GLA and a 90,000-square-foot Lord and Taylor to the 750,000-square-foot mall, which is owned by Westfield America Inc., Los Angeles.

dayville81

I heard Meriden Square Mall used to be nothing more than JC Penney and about 12 stores, all enclosed. The mall went through a series of expansions to today's size. The mall benefits well since it is halfway between New Haven and Hartford. Not quite sure why they decided to put Lord and Taylor there because it was never busy and the store never had that much merchandise to begin with. Looks bad for a store to only have 50% of their square footage with merchandise and everything is spaced out. The Lord and Taylor at Providence had much more merchandise. But now both are closed and so is the entire chain.

XISMZERO

There will be a Borders joining the mall soon. I recently did a (cut short) spread on Westfield Meriden (formerly Meriden Square), and you can see it on The Caldor Rainbow (click link below).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

I found a directory of the Mall I wrote 2005 on it, but not the month. Lots has changed since then. Gone are Casual Corner and The Gap and Weathervane. Maybe even mre. Several Stores were moved because of the new Steve & Barry's. Etc, Etc, Etc. Several others closed and new ones opened.  I will see if I go there this week to get a new directory.

Marc82

The UCONN Huskies Gear Store is G.O.B. Sale starts tomorrow Saturday 1/20/07. 50% Off inventory.

JimSawhill

Hmmm...

It's a terrible year for UConn -- even a store is GOB!!  :)

JimS

XISMZERO

Wasn't aware Meriden had fold-out directory maps. Actually I dont remember any Westfield center having these.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Went to Meriden Square tonight with my co-worker Jeff. Didn't get any pix cuz my stupid digital camera doesn't work.  In the Food Court Panda Express closed down and is being replaced by a place called Wok Express and the spot that was once shared by KFC/Nathans/Arthur Treachers is still vacant. Out in the mall itself there were quite a few vacancies. Payless Shoes is moving to a new location. And the former Waldenbooks is a temporary H&R Block office. (Walden's closed in November when their sister company Borders opened a location in the mall).  The Husky store is gone (less than a month after their G.O.B. sale started). The mall Directory of Stores sheet I picked up at the customer service desk is horribly out of date. Borders is still listed as Coming Soon. Steve & Barry's isn't listed. Macy's is stilll listed as Filenes.

Marc82

Jeff and I went to the mall on Tuesday of this week. Wok Express is now open in the food court. Eblen's temporarily relocated to the second floor as their first floor location is being renovated. A new clothing store that appears to be geared towards the skaterboard crowd will be opening soon. It has an unusual name that I can't remember for the life of me. I think it begins with a "Z". We had lunch at Ruby Tuesday's. I enjoyed it, however for two meals and an appatizer plus tax and tip, I spent $40. (Jeff paid me for his meal).

Marc82

Nick (XISMZERO) and I went to the Meirden Public Library to do research on The Meriden Square and Meriden Hub. We expected to find maybe one or two articles and on them, but we were pleasently surprised by what they had. Using his camera, Nick photographed lots of the newspaper articles and pictures. He'll be posting them later on this week.

Just a couple quick facts. The Meriden Square opened October 19, 1971. Original anchors were JC Penney and G. FOX. The mall was owned in part by May Shopping Center a division of the May Company that owned G FOX. (And later Caldor).

They made several additions and remodels over the years in the late 80s, 1993, and around 1998. 1993 is when they built Sears and The Food Court. 1998 is when they built Lord & Taylor (now divided between Dicks, Borders, and Best Buy). And in 1995 is they banned smoking. When the Meriden Square Sears opened in 1993 they closed down the ones in Middletown and Hamden,

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Jeff and I went to the mall on Tuesday of this week. Wok Express is now open in the food court. Eblen's temporarily relocated to the second floor as their first floor location is being renovated. A new clothing store that appears to be geared towards the skaterboard crowd will be opening soon. It has an unusual name that I can't remember for the life of me. I think it begins with a "Z". We had lunch at Ruby Tuesday's. I enjoyed it, however for two meals and an appatizer plus tax and tip, I spent $40. (Jeff paid me for his meal).

That store you are trying to remember the name of -- would that be Zumiez?  There is a store with that name in the Salmon Run Mall in Watertown, NY and they have skateboard stuff. :)

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey7290
That store you are trying to remember the name of -- would that be Zumiez?  There is a store with that name in the Salmon Run Mall in Watertown, NY and they have skateboard stuff. :)

Could be.  :bouncing:

powersbt

Yeah, sounds like Zumiez to me too.

standa

Does anyone know which store Total Home furniture replaced?

momof3

I loved the Country Carasel that was downstairs by the elevator.  It was a cute gift store and one day I went to the mall and it was shut down, I was bummed.

Marc82

My mom used to buy homemade fudge from Country Carousel. That mall right now is hurting. Lots of vacancies. The same can be said for Brass Mill in Waterbury too.

momof3

I still can't believe that CVS left the Meridan Sq, also friendlies is gone, don't know when they left but I noticed it last time I was there.
Country Carousel had the neatest things, got lots of gifts there. I also liked the gift store (and i can't remeber the name offhand) that also closed, they sold Yankee candles in the front and had a build a bear machine and also had a store on East main St in Meriden which also closed.

Marc82

Friendly's closed down several years about. 03 or 04 if I recall. The gift store that was in the mall and that was also on East Main was New England House of Gifts I think.

momof3

Marc82, Thats the store, Wow friendlies has been gone that long, guess with the food court I didn't even realize.

Marc82

My mom went to the mall last Saturday. She's not into the whole retail thing like I am. She didn't think I wanted to go so she didn't call me. She reports Steve & Barry's is having their GOB sale.

Marc82

My mom dropped me off at the mall so I could go to Borders and she wanted to go return something she bought at Target across the street. Steve & Barry's is gone. Something called "Magic Carpet Toys" moved into the old CVS. KB was just about empty. Most of the store was taped off.

Marc82

Went to the mall today with Jeff. Steve & Barry's is still vacant. KB Toys is still Vacant. One of the Verizon stores is still vacant. F&J Sports is going out of business.  (They sold sports memorbilia). Magic Carpet Toys is still open in the CVS. The old Hallmark is still vacant. (They moved elsewhere in the mall last summer). Quite a few other vacancies. Also in the Food Court - KFC is still vacant as is "Everything's Cafe". No pix. Forgot my camera.

TRU7536

Malls like this, Waterbury, and Buckland are facing some really bad times....Buckland is bankrupted...the owners of Waterbury are looking to sell.....bad times....these malls have many empty stores.......And i can see Macys pulling out in all 3 of these locations because they dont fit into those malls.....

Marc82

Waterbury and Manchester are both owned by the same people - GGP. GGP is bankrupt.

CTAmeshopper

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Malls like this, Waterbury, and Buckland are facing some really bad times....Buckland is bankrupted...the owners of Waterbury are looking to sell.....bad times....these malls have many empty stores.......And i can see Macys pulling out in all 3 of these locations because they dont fit into those malls.....

You've GOT to be kidding!:holysh:

Geez Waterbury didn't
 seem to look that bad when I was there last time!

Marc82

There are some vacancies at the Meriden Square Mall, but it's not that bad. The largest vacancy of course is the old Steve & Barry's.

Other vacancies:

Waldenbooks (closed in 2006 or 2007) when sister store Borders opened in part of the old Lord & Taylor.

Disney Store

Bath & Body Works (Relocated Elsewhere in Mall)

Miller's Hallmark (Relocated Elsewhere in Mall)

F&J Sports

Country Carousel (not sure if it was something after they closed. Maybe Casual Corner?)

KFC/Arthur Treasures/Nathans Tri-pac in the Food Court

Everythings Cafe in the Food Court

And a few other vacancies that I have no idea what was previously in that particular spot.

There's also a new clothing store there called PCX Clothing Company. Anyone know anything about them?

Marc82

Few more vacancies. Including The Ritz Camera Shop.

Now they're placing cardboard over the gates of empty store-fronts instead of fake walls. And actually in a couple empty store-fronts they built real walls in front of them. And one empty store front on the Upper Level Near Macys they put in 2 vending machines and built a wall around them.

Marc82

Good news. A new Video Arcade called TILT will be opening in the old KB Toys pending Planning and Zoning Approval.

http://myrecordjournal.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=20323396&BRD=2755&PAG=461&dept_id=592709&rfi=6

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Good news. A new Video Arcade called TILT will be opening in the old KB Toys pending Planning and Zoning Approval.

http://myrecordjournal.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=20323396&BRD=2755&PAG=461&dept_id=592709&rfi=6

I don't know if it hasn't gone through Meriden Planning and Zoning yet or if they backed out, but so far there's no sign of the new arcade being built yet. You can look through the 2 pieces of cardboard that covers up the gate and see all the old KB fixtures  still there.