Bristol Center Mall

Started by dayville81, January 16, 2006, 12:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Here's the McDonald's outparcel the Bristol Centre Mall. This store is owned by one of the leading owners, Santa Cruz, and it opened sometime in the early 1960's.

This McDonald's is well known for it being one of the oldest stores in Connecticut and for this etched out of a bush "M" on the Riverside Ave. portion of the building. Inside the store is yet another story... this is probably one of the oldest, unrenovated stores you've ever been to as it's all brown inside.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Demolishing the mall is gonna take longer than the originally thought. They hope to be able to throw Job Lot out soon because them filing an appeal to the ruling they lost could take up to 30 months.

From the Bristol Edition of the Herald-Press 8/27/06
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17115500&BRD=1643&PAG=461&dept_id=10486&rfi=6

Marc82

The City of Bristol also does not have money set aside for the demolition.

A Seperate article from today's Herald Press Bristol Edition 8/27/06:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17115502&BRD=1643&PAG=461&dept_id=571108&rfi=6

XISMZERO

Interesting news. I wonder how well the mall will hold up being locked for a few years. I'll be checking back regularly...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

beachgal26

Thanks to everyone for all the updates!!

XISMZERO

Here's a brand new photoset of The Mall at Bristol Centre. Job Lot is still active but the mall is awaiting demolition which might take a few years they say.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/xismzero/album/576460762387882419

Pictures taken January 30, 2007

Enjoy!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Here's a brand new photoset of The Mall at Bristol Centre. Job Lot is still active but the mall is awaiting demolition which might take a few years they say.

Enjoy!

The link doesn't work for me.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

Enjoy!

The link doesn't work for me.

Whoops! Sorry about that people. I accidently had it on Private. It's all set now. Enjoy!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

It's kind of sad to see it because as a child my parents and I used to shop at Sears often.

dmx10101

That is one old looking mall inside. It looks really freaky. Great pics of the time warped mall.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
That is one old looking mall inside. It looks really freaky. Great pics of the time warped mall.

Back then, I was still very much a giddy amateur at using a camera which is why I'd like to get back in there today - especially since it's shuttered. At this rate, I'd probably have to talk to someone at Town Hall to give me the keys to the mall or break in somehow. I don't really see myself convincing the city of Bristol to let me in for some photos but who knows...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

My biggest regret is I didn't steal the floor plan that's hanging on the wall in the entrence opposite the Super Dollar Store. The last time I was in there I asked someone to photo copy the floor plan for me, he told me he would, but after waiting 20 minutes I had to go as I had a bus to catch.

Marc82

The City of Bristol let it's department heads take anything that was left in the mall. They also may sell what's left to the general public. Sadly the head of The Parks & Rec Department discovered that the toy solider that's been guarding the mall for years is now missing an arm.  (Both Arms were there when I was last at the mall in June 06).

Article about the city taking what was left in the mall:
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17866104&BRD=1643&PAG=461&dept_id=571108&rfi=6

Pic of the toy soldier I took in June 06:

Marc82

Marc82

THIS SATURDAY AT 10AM THEY WILL BE AUCTIONING OFF THE CONTENTS OF THE DEFUCT MALL AT BRISTOL CENTRE IN BRISTOL, CONNECTICUIT. LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF INTERESTING THINGS. THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN STARTING YOUR OWN BUFFET RESTAURANT AS SOME OF THE ITEMS UP FOR AUCTION INCLUDE ALL THE EQUIPMENT FROM XO GRAND CHINESE BUFFET. (PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS THE GOLDEN WOK BUFFET). A FLYER OF THE AUCTION CAN BE FOUND HERE. (ACROBAT READER IS NEEDED TO VIEW) http://www.ci.bristol.ct.us/filestorage/3070/bristolmallbrochure.pdf

AS OF RIGHT NOW IT APPEARS THAT NEITHER NICK (XISMZERO) NOR MYSELF WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND THIS AUCTION.

Marc82

Marc82

They finally began knocking down the Bristol Centre Mall. There's a 90 second video on the Courant's Website about the demolition. I was unable to attend the demolition because of car trouble.

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews/hcu-brimalldemo-0211,0,1428334.story

Marc82

Marc82

The mall is finally gone as of 230PM yesterday. Final couple pictures and comments can be seen in Bristol Press Reporter Steve Collin's blog.

http://bristolnews.blogspot.com/2008/04/mall-is-gone.html

NJxxJon

Will it make the city better? Will it cause less homeless people and crackheads? WIll it make gas prices go down? :yup:
JN

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon
Will it make the city better? Will it cause less homeless people and crackheads?

Yes it'll make the city better. The mall has been a white elephant in the town since the day it opened in the 1960s. Plus the city owns the property so they'll sell the land to developers and get in back on the tax rolls. Will it cause less homeless people? Possibly. They hope housing, retail, and offices will be built on the property. And crackheads are crackheads. They all live in that area and they will continue to do so.

CTAmeshopper

I hope they could restore some semblance of downtown that was there before the flood, I saw old pictures of it in a book about the history of Bristol and it looked fantastic, it looked completely different to what is there now.:o

Marc82

Went to The Discount Food Outlet Thursday night which is a grocery store on the Mall at Bristol Centre's Property. Snatched some pictures of the vacant lot where the mall used to be. DFO used to be ADAMS IGA and before that WAZ's IGA and before that FINAST. (WAZ died and most of the stores were bought by ADAMS). DFO is owned by ADAMS.

Marc82

Went to The Discount Food Outlet Thursday night which is a grocery store on the Mall at Bristol Centre's Property. Snatched some pictures of the vacant lot where the mall used to be. DFO used to be ADAMS IGA and before that WAZ's IGA and before that FINAST. (WAZ died and most of the stores were bought by ADAMS). DFO is owned by ADAMS.

Marc82

Marc82

Demolition in progress of another building on the Centre Mall Property. This old Rent-a-Center on the corner of N. Main and Riverside Avenue used to be Centre Mall Cinema 1 & 2. Next door was  a Sherwin Williams. The Rent-a-Center was vacant for years after Fitness for Women moved to N. Main Street. The vacant space was utilized by the Bristol Police Dept when some renovation work was being done at the station. The Rent-a-Center relocated to N. Main Street. Sherwin Williams moved all the way across town to Farmington Ave (Route 6) across the street from Shoprite where Stella's Pizza House and Sir Speedy Printing used to be located. Stellas closed down several years ago. Sir Speedy relocated to a mostly industrial complex on Middle Street (Route 229).

Marc82

Demolition in progress of another building on the Centre Mall Property. This Sherwin Williams Store on the corner of N. Main and Riverside Avenue used to be Centre Mall Cinema 1 & 2. Most recently a Rent-A-Center was located next to Sherwin Williams but before that it was vacant for several years after Fitness for Women moved to N. Main Street. The vacant space was utilized by the Bristol Police Dept when some renovation work was being done at the station. The Rent-a-Center relocated to N. Main Street. Sherwin Williams moved all the way across town to Farmington Ave (Route 6) across the street from Shoprite where Stella's Pizza House and Sir Speedy Printing used to be located. Stellas closed down several years ago. Sir Speedy relocated to a mostly industrial complex on Middle Street (Route 229).

ynkeesfn82

Discount Food Outlet closed last Friday March 16th, 2012. The building will be demolished in May or June. A new McDonald's will be built on the site. Once the new McDonald's is built the other one will be demoilshed.