The Shoppes at Buckland Hills (Formerly Buckland Hills Mall)

Started by dayville81, January 15, 2006, 11:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayville81

Two-level mall opened in March 1990. It is anchored by Sears, JC Penney, Filene's, Dick's Clothing & Sporting Goods, and Barnes and Noble. It was the former home of D&L, Lord and Taylor, G. Fox, Sage Allen, and Steigers. Its sit-down restaurants include Ruby Tuesday's, Friendly's, Vinny T's of Boston, Hops (outside mall), and Red Robin (outside mall).

d_fife

lord and taylor closed a year ago. the mall is 2 levels and two yeras ago the mall got barnes and noble. filene's home store replaced lord and taylor. filene's adn the home store will become macy's. the mall is 1 million square feet. the mall started the whole retail thing. the mall is in manchester connecticut of rt. 84.

dayville81

I heard an additional 2.5 million square feet of retail was added after the mall opened. They probably have everything in Manchester with Target, Lowe's, Borders, Office Max, DSW, Christmas Tree Shop, Bernie's, Bobs, Circuit City, Best Buy, Sleepy's, Party City, Sam's Club, Sports Authority, Home Depot, and CompUSA.
Many great restaurants there too like 99, Olive Garden, the restaurant with the talking moose. I know the Plaza at Burr Corners has been transformed. Used to have Caldor then Ames now it is an Outlet Marketplace helping the rest of the center.

Marc82

A man was robbed of the PlayStation 3 he just bought at an electoncis retailer at the Buckland Hills Mall Friday. Police now have arrested 3 suspects.

Story from NBC 30:
http://www.nbc30.com/news/10347191/detail.html

Marc82

I see from looking at the store directory on their website that McDonald's is gone and there's a Burger King there instead. When did this happen?

ynkeesfn82

It was October 2003 when The Buckland Hills Mall became The Shoppes at Buckland Hills. That was with a more than $20 million renovation was completed. Funny Bone Comedy Club opened there in 2007. Market Grill replaced Hops. There is a Long Horn Steak House next door to Red Robin. Inside the mall there is a Panera and Bertucci's.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on August 31, 2013, 12:31:22 PM
It was October 2003 when The Buckland Hills Mall became The Shoppes at Buckland Hills. That was with a more than $20 million renovation was completed. Funny Bone Comedy Club opened there in 2007. Market Grill replaced Hops. There is a Long Horn Steak House next door to Red Robin. Inside the mall there is a Panera and Bertucci's.

Is Funny Bone still there??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on August 31, 2013, 01:46:20 PM
Is Funny Bone still there??

Yes. In fact a local talk show on Channel 3 called Better Connecticut often has a comedian on their show on Friday before their performance at Funny Bone. Panera and Funny Bone are both part of the former D&L space. Several other store fronts are as well.

TRU7536

This mall took a huge hit when Evergreen opened up across the street. When I lived in Manchester,  they had many vacant store fronts and many dollar stores. Nothing exciting about this mall, just depressing.

ynkeesfn82

TheFugitive

Yikes!  When I worked in the Parkway Center Mall, one year a sewage pipe
broke.  Just under our jewelry counter.  Christmas week!

TRU7536

I thought Meriden was going down a bad path, but boy Buckland is sinking and sinking fast. Guess Build a Bear just recently closed shop here, last few years stores like Coach, Aldo, Torrid, Famous Footwear, Abercrombie, Stride Rite have closed. What replaces them if they do get replaced are pop up mom and pop stores or no name stores no one ever heard of.

Evergreen really killed this mall.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TRU7536 on June 15, 2015, 07:23:39 PM
I thought Meriden was going down a bad path, but boy Buckland is sinking and sinking fast. Guess Build a Bear just recently closed shop here, last few years stores like Coach, Aldo, Torrid, Famous Footwear, Abercrombie, Stride Rite have closed. What replaces them if they do get replaced are pop up mom and pop stores or no name stores no one ever heard of.

Evergreen really killed this mall.

Reminds me of Northland Center in Southfield, MI during the 2000's. It finally closed back in April.

ynkeesfn82

I thought Meriden was going down a bad path

Westfield is doing a lot of remodeling and moving stores around in Meriden with the upcoming opening this fall of Boscov's. And they finally filled in that dead Macy's wing on the 2nd floor where CVS used to be. It's a new "super-sized" Forever 21 location.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on June 16, 2015, 07:19:41 AM
I thought Meriden was going down a bad path

Westfield is doing a lot of remodeling and moving stores around in Meriden with the upcoming opening this fall of Boscov's. And they finally filled in that dead Macy's wing on the 2nd floor where CVS used to be. It's a new "super-sized" Forever 21 location.

Boscov's is coming to Connecticut??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on June 24, 2015, 04:29:03 PM

Yes. In the old JC Penney at the Meriden Square Mall. They wanted to open at Brass Mill in Waterbury, but there wasn't any space available. Then they took a drive and found the old JC Penney at Meriden Square. They immediately talked to mall management.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on June 24, 2015, 04:37:16 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on June 24, 2015, 04:29:03 PM

Yes. In the old JC Penney at the Meriden Square Mall. They wanted to open at Brass Mill in Waterbury, but there wasn't any space available. Then they took a drive and found the old JC Penney at Meriden Square. They immediately talked to mall management.

Nice... I wish they were a few regional department stores chains...I'd love to see if Macy's would sell the G. Fox name..

JJBers

Took some photos yesterday, album.
Here's some select photos:
This Sears still uses the old logo from the 80's and early 90's.

Sears (Buckland Hills Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr

Buckland Hills Mall by JJBers, on Flickr

Macy's (Buckland Hills Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr

JCPenney (Buckland Hills Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr

Buckland Hills Mall by JJBers, on Flickr

Dick's (Buckland Hills Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr
This is truly some 80's mall architecture  

JCPenney (Buckland Hills Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

The Shoppes at Buckland Hills is very nice. Yesterday was the first time I had been there in years. (More than 10). Not too many vacancies. Although that will increase some when the temporary stores such as Go Calendar and the Lego Workshop close.

scottw73

I predict that Sears will be gone by the end of January early February, so that will be the only large vacancy

Brammy

2022 update:

Sears closed. (That was a given).

Dick's moved to the former Pilgrim Furniture and Mattress City on the Tolland Turnpike in the plaza with "At Home."
The Real Brammy

Everything Community

You cannot see attachments on this board.
These are the pics of what then-called The Pavilions at Buckland Hills (later transitioned to using "Shoppes") used to look like upon opening in 1990 although these pics are probably from the mid-90s. This was before the massive renovations in 2003 that changed the interior scheme as well as the exterior mirroring the 21st Century era of malls. This was before they added Barnes & Noble as one of the main anchors.

Back at the time of the Pavilions era, they had G. Fox, Sage Allen, Steigers, and Sears as original main anchors when opened in 1990. None of these stores exist anymore as they've been replaced over the years like JCPenney and Macys. Sears (which only closed in 2021) is still vacant to this day.You cannot see attachments on this board. 

Everything Community

Current update: As of September 30, 2022, The SEARS logo (as well as STORE CLOSING signs) that used to be on their building is finally gone over a year and a half after SEARS closed it's last Connecticut location.

A former Dick's Sporting Goods property is temporarily reoccupied by Spirit Halloween.

AmesNewington

It's funny that Dick's just opened a Warehouse Sale store down the road on Hale Road (near Christmas Tree Shop) and didn't use their old location instead. I had read on The Manchester Scoop that a new tenant was interested in this space (hopefully not just Spirit Halloween). Maybe that's why they didn't put the Warehouse Sale store here.

Everything Community

Bob's Stores, Stateline Video Games, and few other shops have opened within the last few months. Bob's Stores took it's occupation in the former Dick's Sporting Goods property on the upper level. The lower level of Dick's remains vacant to this day.

For more information about the current status of Buckland Hills Mall, check out The Manchester Scoop's website.