Main Menu

Levitz

Started by TRU7536, January 11, 2006, 07:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

does anyone know the deal with this company? are they going bankrupted? I know they took over the seaman furniture stores in CT. But i just saw "Going out of Business" signs at the newington Location. Are they closing all the CT location?

d_fife

they went to chapter 11 bankruptcy in 5 years ago. they closed all new england stores, including nashua nh, dedham mass, danvers mass and a couple others I cannot remember to name in mass! I do not know if they have bankrupted yet.

Caldor1999

there still around i think maby there gob this yea ri dont know how long a copnay can stay Bankruped for
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hears one in veagus
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Looks like just about all of them are closing in the PA/NJ area Just saw a commercial for them. This chain has had some major management problems. I mean, less than a year ago they bought up the fairly large Seaman's Furniture chain! They must have had complete idiots behind the scenes.

On a related note, Musicland Corp. filed for bankruptcy earlier in the week (Sam Goody, Suncoast, and the now G.O.B. Media Play)

This is not going to be a good year at all for retail...It's only January!

So far in the last few months:
-Toys R Us Closing locations
-Office Max Closing locations
-Media Play closing
-Levitz closing
-Musicland Chp. 11
-Big Lots closing lots of stores

-----------------
Article

Posted on Thu, Jan. 12, 2006
Levitz to make good on orders
By Stacey Burling
Inquirer Staff Writer

The new owners of Levitz Home Furnishings Inc. say most people who ordered products before the company was purchased last month will get their furniture by March.

Levitz, of Woodbury, N.Y., filed for bankruptcy Oct. 11 and was purchased Dec. 16 by an affiliate of Prentice Capital Management L.P. The new company is using the Levitz name on the West Coast and in the New York area, but it has decided to close 35 of its 114 stores, including all 10 in Pennsylvania and all seven in New Jersey.

More than 80 percent of customers who placed orders before the sale and have not yet received their merchandise have been given "firm delivery dates" in January or February, said John Dillard, a spokesman for Levitz.

Of the remainder, some have been unreachable and some ordered products that are no longer made, he said.

Levitz is not giving refunds to people who made purchases before the company sale, Dillard said. Deposits can be applied toward the purchase of different goods. The Bankruptcy Court that approved the sale was aware of the policy, he said. Dillard said he did not know how many customers were caught in limbo.

Henry Hart, senior deputy for the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection, said his agency had received complaints from Levitz customers who had not received furniture they ordered, and about delivery of damaged or unsatisfactory goods, or partial orders.

He declined to say how many complaints his office had received, but said it was not up significantly since the bankruptcy. "I wouldn't characterize it as a lot," he said.

The Bureau of Consumer Protection, he said, is mediating the cases to help customers get products they want or get a refund. If that does not work, it will consider legal action.

Consumers unhappy with service from the company "should file a complaint with us because that helps us monitor what's going on," Hart said.

In a written statement, Kimberly Ricketts, director of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, said her office had received "approximately 24" complaints about Levitz since Oct. 1. "These complaints are about delivery issues, refunds, warranty/guaranty, damaged merchandise and unsatisfactory service."

The division, she said, "will pursue appropriate action." A spokeswoman said she could not answer any questions about the statement. Levitz has established a team to help customers who bought furniture before the bankruptcy or sale, Dillard said. Its phone number is 1-800-543-7754.

To file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Consumer Protection, go to www. attorneygeneral.gov or call 215-560-2414 and ask for a complaint form.

To file a complaint with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, call 1-800-242-5846 or 973-504-6200.
Contact staff writer Stacey Burling at 215-854-4944 or sburling@phillynews.com.
email this
print this
reprint or license this
The Inquirer | Daily News | Sports | Entertainment | Shop Local | Classifieds
About Philly.com | About the Real Cities Network | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement | About Knight Ridder | Copyright

df559

The Levitz here in Fresno is still doing well. A picture of the sign...

"You'll love it at Levitz!" :insane:

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
hears a clsoed down location

this looks kind of like the one in dedham mass on Rt.1. it is supposed to be torn down to be a larger stop and shop that will replace the one nearby. the store in dedham is 175,000 square feet.

d_fife

here is the levitz furniture in middle village nwe york that is 40,000 square feet

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1140392601&subNum=10216000098

d_fife

here is remains of the levitz in manchester CT in the wal-mart plaza near the mall.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is remains of the levitz in manchester CT in the wal-mart plaza near the mall.

manchester ct

d_fife

here is the vacant levitz in newington CT as of july 20, 2006

d_fife

levitz in plainville CT in the plainville commons

d_fife

mohegan lake ny (cortlandt and peekskill)

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Marc82

The last time me and my friend were at the Plainville Commons we were discussing what could go in the old Levitz spot that would compliment the other stores in the plaza. We coudln't come up with anything. Then later i though maybe Pier 1 Imports, but I don't know if the landloard over there would subdivide. 30,000 SQ. FT would be big for Pier 1.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
mohegan lake ny (cortlandt and peekskill)

i never nodiced tghat being tehre is it astill open ?
Caldor Forever!

beachgal26

Wow!  I can't believe all the stuff that I am now reading about them.  I remember them from way back in the 60's and 70's and I even worked for them  for a special sale while I was in high school.  They were a great company with a solid reputation and it makes me wonder how their management could have let the chain go like this!!

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:  :huh: :huh: :huh:

d_fife

levits furniture in brookfield / danbury CT as of july 21, 2006.;

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ynkeesfn82

The Levitz in Plainville, CT became a Marshall's and empty space several years ago. The Marshall's relocated from Bristol (and is still vacant). As of January 2013 Sleepy's is now next to the Marshall's, relocating from a much bigger spot in the plaza next to a vacant Linen's & Things and a Famous Footwear.

ynkeesfn82

The Levitz that was in Plainville was relocated from Southington. It was at 55 Graham Place a side street off of Spring Street. The Southington location is now the flagship location of Pilgrim Furniture City.