The Home Depot

Started by ameskmart1, January 09, 2006, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
home depot in middletown CT that opened 2 yrs ago in the old ames / caldor and demolished them.

home depot in middletown ct in a plaza that is an eye sore and they could have just redeveloped the plaza

middletown ct

middletown ct sign

middletown ct

d_fife

home depot in wallingford ct across the lowe's under construction.

d_fife

home depot in wallingford ct across the lowe's under construction.

home depot sign in wallingford ct

d_fife

home depot in tilton nh

d_fife

home depot auburn me

d_fife

home depot auburn me

auburn me

d_fife

the home depot in topsham me

d_fife

d_fife

home depot in ellsworth me that opened in 2001.

d_fife

home depot ellsworth me

ellsworth me

d_fife

the one in victor ny (15 minutes from rochester) in the target plaza near mall.

d_fife

home depot in ashtabula oh

d_fife

vacant home depot expo in lyndhurst (near beechwood and university heights) ohio.

Ames#1171

Here is the recently opened Home Depot in the Steelyard Commons development:

Ames" border="0

C. Fontaine

Zayre88

QuoteHome Depot Cuts Growth Plans, Will Close 15 Stores

May 1, 2008 16:14 EDT

May 1 (Bloomberg) -- Home Depot Inc., the world's biggest home-improvement retailer, will eliminate 1,300 jobs, close 15 stores and scrap plans for 50 more as the U.S. housing slump cripples sales.

East Fort Wayne, Indiana
Marion, Indiana
Frankfort, Kentucky
Opelousas, Louisiana
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
Rome, New York
Bismarck, North Dakota
Findlay, Ohio
Lima, Ohio
Brattleboro, Vermont
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
NW Milwaukee, Wisconsin

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aQXhj3L8y4Ag&refer=us

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
http://consumerist.com/consumer/crime/home-depot-employees-fired-for-helping-police-catch-shoplifters-266197.php

Apparently now you can just walk out of Home Depot with anything you like, without paying!

I have heard from friends of mine that used to work at the old Kmart here in Ogdensburg NY that Kmart has the same store policy.  The same situation happened in the Kmart here once.

C. Fontaine

Yeah, we had a case a few years back of employee ignorance at the Kmart in Webster, MA, I knew someone who worked there.  These 2 guys loaded a big screen tv into a shopping cart and wheeled it out the doors.  When the Sensormatics went off the cashiers assumed they already paid and waved them through.  A half hour later they realized the tv was stolen, they guys got away.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
http://consumerist.com/consumer/crime/home-depot-employees-fired-for-helping-police-catch-shoplifters-266197.php

Apparently now you can just walk out of Home Depot with anything you like, without paying!

"We saw them with the merchandise. We saw them run out of the store. I never kept my eyes off of them. Then when we asked them for a receipt, and that's when they dropped the merchandise and they kept running. One guy still had a chainsaw while he was running, and that's when the cops tackled him," he said.

Obviously this person had some experience in Loss Prevention. The key point that I want to make is that he never took his eyes off of the customer.In my company, once you take your eyes off of someone, then game over. Hope that Security was keeping an eye on them, and has the incident caught on tape.

I'm not sure how their Loss Prevention works. Seems like there is more to this story than what is being said.

CTAmeshopper

vacant home depot expo in lyndhurst (near beechwood and university heights) ohio.

THAT was a Home Depot????

wow, it looks nice for being a Home Depot.

What's expo mean was it a store or an exposition center?

Hold on it was chain store that was part of the Home Depot company, never mind now I get it.

store215

Expo is a more upscale version of Home Depot (more focused for home-designer-type people instead of do-it-yourself'ers). I think they closed a bunch of these a year or two back.

C. Fontaine

When I was a kid I pulled such pranks as gluing the toilet seat down and the plunger to the wall at Ames, but not putting glue on the toilet seat.  Apparently Home Depot is being sued by an angry customer who got glued to one of their toilets!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0613081toilet1.html

scottw73

that's why you put down that wax paper cover before you sit down.  :insane:. seriously that's not right.  Didn't that same thing happen a couple of years ago.

KmartDanny09

A quick fact about Home Depot:

In the early days of Home Depot, when smaller hardware/lumber yards would close due to lost sales, it became traditon that before a store opened, managers would present the local competition with a black wreath and pet casket (which a logo of the targeted store in the inside) in the hopes that they would go out business. According to the A&E Special, management did this to invoke fear in managers.

When Home Depot first opened and began building, they were referenced as the Wal-Mart of the hardware industry...

Mobil

When did Home Depot first become big? I know when it was founded, but when did it first become well-known? I wonder what their original logo and/or store designs were like. The first time I ever went to one was in 1995 or 1996.

And when did they start/stop using the "Insert State Here's Home Improvement Warehouse" signs? :huh::huh::huh:

Mobil

This is what happened at The Home Depot in Quincy in 1995!!!

MikeRa

I have only shopped in two Home Depots.  They are located at:

[list=1]
  • Bensalem, PA (In shoppin Center with Target.  Was originaly open grounds that was part of Eastern State Hospital)
  • Ozone Park, NY (Was originally part of the parking lot for Aqueduct Racetrack.  The back of the Home Depot building can been seen on NYRA's broadcast of live racing from Aquectuct Racetrack)
  • [/list=1]
    :cool::cool:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

videogamer75

Here is a picture I took of The Home Depot in Lawnside, NJ. This is a former Jefferson Ward and Bradlees. Notice the hot dog stand where the white awning is in the front.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Here is a picture I took of The Home Depot in Lawnside, NJ. This is a former Jefferson Ward and Bradlees.

Why did Home Depot not remodel this store extensively, like Wal-Mart did with their former Jefferson Ward/Bradlees?

videogamer75

I'm not sure, but I think it looks better like that.

By the way, in response to your questions about the early days of THD, it really wasn't much different than it is now. On The Home Depot's corporate website, they had a timeline which featured some pics from the first few stores. The logo was the same orange box they use today, the interior looked just like the current one but with slightly different department signs. The only major difference were the storefronts, which were former The Treasury stores that had zigzag shaped storefronts.