Thom McAnn/Kinney Shoes

Started by Crawford, January 08, 2006, 08:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawford

One or even both of these stores were found in just about every mall. There were also plenty of free standing stores. Clerks actually came out, measured your feet and hurried into the cavernous back room to find your shoes. As far as I know, they started closing down around the end of the 80's and into the 90's. Payless and Foot Locker pretty much took their place.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

amesman

yep, you never see Kinney or Thom McAn anymore. We used to have a Thom McAn here in Kingston in the Hudson Valley Mall. Don't know of any other locations though..

beachgal26

I don't how long the Thom McAnn stores have been closed, but you can still buy some of their shoes on ebay and at some Kmart stores.  Kinney was formed in 1894 and the final stores closed in late 1998.

Since I have worn a size 5 forever, they were always a good place for me to get shoes in the newest styles as they were in every mall.  Alas, another store that will be missed!!

amesman

Thom McAn shoes are still sold in Kmart stores.

Zayre88

Thom McAn is an exclusive Kmart brand.  Now Payless Shoesource is the shoe store found in every mall, and even power centers.  I hate their new logo...

powersbt

I agree with ya Zayre.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Thom McAn is an exclusive Kmart brand.  Now Payless Shoesource is the shoe store found in every mall, and even power centers.  I hate their new logo...

amesman

I second that motion...ugh..

dmx10101

Kinney was owned by Woolworth I believe. And of course Footlocker is owned by Woolworth. Woolworth turned into Footlocker Inc or whatever when they closed their discount stores down.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C3Nostalgia

Both Thom McAn and Kinney were original tenants of Century III Mall when it opened in 1979.

videogamer75

this is the former kinney shoes store in Vineland, NJ

Ameskid

Kinney Shoes was taken over by Woolworth in the mid-1960s.

Kinney Shoes, Mid-1960s by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Kinney Shoes, 1979 by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

MikeRa

Thom McAnn was owned by Melville corporation (now known as CVS Health) from 1952 to when they were shuttered in 1996, or converted to Footaction USA.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: powersbt on August 30, 2006, 07:56:04 PM
I agree with ya Zayre.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Except in Mexico where Thom McAn can be found inside Walmart.

MikeRa

Quote from: Ameskid on June 28, 2015, 10:51:41 PM
Kinney Shoes was taken over by Woolworth in the mid-1960s.

Kinney Shoes, Mid-1960s by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Kinney Shoes was in the Neshaminy Mall when the mall first opened in 1968, right by Sears.  Vans Off The Wall is now in the Kinney shoes site
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

buzz86us

there is still a ThomMcAnn paving stone by some of the abandoned storefronts in Schenectady all these years they still haven't paved over it..