Plaidland and top value stores, too

Started by theoldames, January 08, 2006, 01:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theoldames

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but... anyone got any pics or memories of S&H Green Stamps? I got this sign for Christmas!!:dizzy:

theoldames

Hmm... seems the pic didn't post... I'll try again!

Zayre88

S&H Green Stamps shown in this video about Steinberg's Supermarkets wich created their own stamps: Pinky stamps

Crawford

Boy does this take me back. My aunt collected these and the store was on North Main Street in Providence (it's an Ocean State Job Lot now). To get anything of real value though, you had to have books and books of these things. With the amount of money used to get the stamps, one could have easily gone to Zayre, Woolco, etc and just buy it. The Brady Bunch did a very funny episode concerning these stamps. I always wondered how these places turned a profit. Are there any left out there?
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

store215

Some smaller supermarket chains still have S&H "Greenpoints" you earn when buying certain products

http://www.greenpoints.com/account/act_default.asp

theoldames

Wow, that's cool, I didn't know about the "Greenpoints". I thought S&H was just a thing of the past! The Green Stamp store that was near me is now a Pizza joint. By the way, that store was right down the street from my old Ames!! (Portland St, St Johnsbury, VT)

mikey1972

Here's the old S & H Green Stamp store that was located in Downtown Ogdensburg until the early 1970's.  Both buildings shown here were bought and torn down in our Urban Renewal program.  The department store shown at the right moved down the street and took over the S & H Green stamp business, running it out of their new store.  The Surprise was a locally-owned store, which closed about 25 years ago.

beachgal26

Boy, does this take me back a long way!!!  When I was about 8, I offered to put all the stamps in the books in exchange for using them to get things that I wanted.  My first "purchase" was a Kodak Brownie camera that was the big thing in the early 60's.  It worked for a long time and I wish that I still had it as I'm sure they have become a collector's item.

The last item that I was able to get was a wall clock in 1985 right before the local store in FL closed on Christmas Eve.  Nothing could have prepared me for the long lines out of the store and around the parking lot for all the people that were redeeming their stamps as all the redemption centers closed.  I had that clock up until just last year when it just stopped working, so I guess that I got my value for those stamps.

Here's an interesting update in that there is a website where you can get additional "stamps" through airline fares, etc. and even redeem old books.  However, it's been made way more complicated that it needs to be and I doubt that many people are taking advantage of it.

I still have some of my remaining books and will hold onto them just for the memories!!

;) :yup: ;)  :yup: ;) :yup: ;) :yup: ;)

JimSawhill

all:

It wasn't just S&H green stamps -- Grand Union had Triple S, stop & Shop had Top Vaue and A&P had Plaid stamps (I think that was the name of the stamps -- the stores was PLAIDLAND. (the store in East Hartford is now a capet store -- it is across the street from the town hall -- the A&P is now Advance Auto and a health care office.)
     I think I still have the old stamps -- I had them until I moved. Top Value had the listing of all its stores -- one was in East Hartford which is now a Lucky Dollar store (an locally owned  Asian-American owned dollar store).

JimS