Office Depot

Started by storehistoryguy, January 07, 2006, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Here's how OfficeMax announced the sale to its MaxPerks customers:

February 20, 2013

Dear MaxPerks Customer,

Today, OfficeMax announced plans to join with Office Depot to create a stronger, combined global company with a wide array of services and solutions that enable you, our valued MaxPerks customer, to work more efficiently and productively.

The combined company will build on the best of both organizations to give you even more product choices, advanced technology and printing services, and new innovations to help you work better in business and at home every day. By integrating our network of retail stores, direct sales, telesales and online environments, we'll provide you multiple ways to connect with us.

Over the last six months, OfficeMax has added new technology support, cloud and website services. Recognizing the impact of economic and tax changes to the bottom line, we want to help make every dollar you spend work even harder by providing more everyday MaxPerks and weekly promotion value. We've expanded private brand products that offer strong performance at great value. Our commitment is to continue building this value as we serve you.

We expect the merger transaction to close by the end of calendar year 2013, subject to customary closing conditions. Until then, OfficeMax and Office Depot will remain separate companies, and each company will maintain its current rewards program. I want to assure you that your MaxPerks rewards are secure, and as a MaxPerks customer, you will continue to:

•   Earn 5% back when you spend $500 on qualifying purchases including ink, toner, paper and printing services between January 1 and December 31 each year;

•   Receive a $2 recycling reward on qualifying ink and toner cartridges, and;

•   Earn extra bonus rewards every month on featured items

I invite you to visit www.officemax.com/maxperks for the latest MaxPerks program information. Thank you for your continued loyalty, and we look forward to serving you with the same exceptional service you've come to expect from OfficeMax

Sincerely,

Ravi Saligram
President and CEO

retailisking

Here's more background on the merger; both stories are accompanied by Bloomberg videos that automatically play
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2013/02/20/office-depot-accidentally-announces.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/morning_call/2013/02/office-depot-officemax-agree-to-merge.html

The Bloomberg videos are full of informative analysis. This timing of the merger was driven largely by activist shareholders in both companies. To make the deal work, significant store closures will be necessary, and entire markets may be ceded to Staples (that lone OfficeMax store in Auburn, ME - Office Depot has come and gone from the Pine Tree State on two occasions - suddenly looks a lot more vulnerable.) The Feds may sue to block the merger - the government tend to make overly-narrow definitions of what a retail sector's competitors are, discounting the market share impact of the likes of Walmart and Costco. Staples shares went up on the merger talk, which when you think about it makes sense. SPLS will now have one competitor, not two, and that one competitor will be closing stores and working through a host of integration issues and alienating portions of its customer base as ODP and OMX combine their loyalty schemes.

greg8370

Office Max and Depot will both leave New England......

Zayre88

Past NE locations of the chains:

Office Depot - (Bangor Parkade) - Bangor ME
Office Depot - (Toys'r'us) - South Portland ME
Office Max - (Stop&Shop plaza) - Manchester NH
Office Max - Nashua NH
Office Max - (Durgin Square) - Portsmouth NH
Office Max - (Mallside Plaza) - South Portland, ME

TRU7536

Quote from: greg8370 on February 20, 2013, 08:45:48 PM

Office Max left the Hartford area years ago. Three different office super stores in this day in age can't exist. I wonder what the new name be, "the office" lol.

ynkeesfn82

The nearest Office Max to Hartford is at the Brass Mill Commons in Waterbury. Office Depot's 2 closest locations to Hartford are at Corbin's Corner in West Hartford and The Silas Deane Highway in Wethersfield.

Interesting there's a big section on Office Max's website about the merger. Didn't see it on Office Depot's site.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 20, 2013, 11:32:03 PM
Quote from: greg8370 on February 20, 2013, 08:45:48 PM

Office Max left the Hartford area years ago. Three different office super stores in this day in age can't exist. I wonder what the new name be, "the office" lol.

The new name will be 'Bankrupt Office Supplies'!   :)  Here in Florida, Staples is doing better then Office Depot.

jason83080

Northeast Ohio is OfficeMax country. I can think of numerous Office Depot locations that have come and gone, and are now either Staples stores (which is why I thought they merged years ago, but, apparently, did not) or other random things. There's one old Office Depot location that was a new construction in Brooklyn, Ohio, at Ridge & Brookpark Roads in the part of that plaza that *wasn't* the old Kmart store. It closed at one point and is currently an Arhaus Furniture clearance center. What did they convert 2/3 of the old Kmart store into? A BRAND NEW STAPLES.

Office Depot fled the NE Ohio market some time ago and never looked back. Is this 'merger'/buyout their attempt at reclaiming markets that they abandoned forever ago? The two chains - OMX and Staples - aren't usually located right on top of each other, so there isn't really that much competition around here, save for Elyria at Midway Mall (OfficeMax in one plaza, Staples in a renovated Rini-Rego grocery store space adjacent to the mall itself), but neither store is wildly successful there, due to the general slowness of anything at the mall.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 21, 2013, 08:01:09 AM
The nearest Office Max to Hartford is at the Brass Mill Commons in Waterbury. Office Depot's 2 closest locations to Hartford are at Corbin's Corner in West Hartford and The Silas Deane Highway in Wethersfield.

Interesting there's a big section on Office Max's website about the merger. Didn't see it on Office Depot's site.

I remember Office Max had a store near Rt 9. The store was in 3 different towns - West Hartford, Newington and Farmington. When I worked for them, someone walked in after parking his car on Rt9 and helped himself to a IBM computer. He just walked out and drove off.

I wonder what is there now...

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on February 27, 2013, 10:04:45 AM

That location is now a HUGE Michael's Arts and Crafts store. I've never been in it, but went in a few times when it was Office Max. Our Newington Office Max (later Office Depot) is still empty. It was used as a Halloween store for a few years, however, that also wasn't there last year (instead in the old Sym's in Berlin). That space would be good for any small store including Dollar General.

I remember Office Max had a store near Rt 9. The store was in 3 different towns - West Hartford, Newington and Farmington. When I worked for them, someone walked in after parking his car on Rt9 and helped himself to a IBM computer. He just walked out and drove off.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 27, 2013, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: JimSawhill on February 27, 2013, 10:04:45 AM

That location is now a HUGE Michael's Arts and Crafts store. I've never been in it, but went in a few times when it was Office Max. Our Newington Office Max (later Office Depot) is still empty. It was used as a Halloween store for a few years, however, that also wasn't there last year (instead in the old Sym's in Berlin). That space would be good for any small store including Dollar General.

I remembered that there used to be a Waldbaum's Supermarket in that plaza....

AmesNewington

Yes that was an old Waldbaums Foodmart that I remember from when I was 4 years old. They closed in 1993 or 1994. It was a dirty store and very unkept.

ynkeesfn82

Whatever happened to the merger?

ynkeesfn82

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on August 08, 2014, 02:13:07 PM
Office Depot in Wethersfield, CT is closing and is becoming a Planet Fitness.

http://www.courant.com/community/wethersfield/hc-wethersfield-planet-fitness-20140806,0,1395826.story

I am surprised it even lasted this long. Every time I drove by it was always empty. Planet fitness lol, it wants to compete with cardio express which is like next door

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on August 08, 2014, 10:03:30 PM

http://www.courant.com/community/wethersfield/hc-wethersfield-planet-fitness-20140806,0,1395826.story

I am surprised it even lasted this long. Every time I drove by it was always empty. Planet fitness lol, it wants to compete with cardio express which is like next door

So as it looks, the new Office Depot/Max company will only have 2 store locations in CT. One Office Depot in West Hartford and one Office Max in Waterbury. Unless they both sustain business, I wouldn't be surprised if both stores were closed. It seems a waste to have two locations in one state. Unless they down the line open smaller stores elsewhere. They should go for an "Express" concept in malls.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on August 09, 2014, 09:53:56 AM

So as it looks, the new Office Depot/Max company will only have 2 store locations in CT. One Office Depot in West Hartford and one Office Max in Waterbury. Unless they both sustain business, I wouldn't be surprised if both stores were closed. It seems a waste to have two locations in one state. Unless they down the line open smaller stores elsewhere. They should go for an "Express" concept in malls.

1. Store 6132
696 POST ROAD
FAIRFIELD, CT 06824
(203) 254-2225 

2.Store 6124
WHITE TURKEY SHOPPING CENTER
14 CANDLEWOOD LAKE ROAD
BROOKFIELD, CT 06804
(203) 775-6827

Are these two closing as well?

TRU7536

Quote from: TRU7536 on August 09, 2014, 03:25:56 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on August 09, 2014, 09:53:56 AM

1. Store 6132
696 POST ROAD
FAIRFIELD, CT 06824
(203) 254-2225 

2.Store 6124
WHITE TURKEY SHOPPING CENTER
14 CANDLEWOOD LAKE ROAD
BROOKFIELD, CT 06804
(203) 775-6827

Are these two closing as well?

Former Office Max/Depot in Newington, now Planet Fitness

AmesNewington

I wasn't aware of the Fairfield County locations. Looking at the above photo of Planet Fitness, it is an amazing transformation. At least PF will last in this spot for some time to come. All we need is a replacement tenant for Michael's after they move.

TRU7536

Looks like along with Wethersfield, West Hartford Office Depot is closing and so is the Office Max in Waterbury. The two in Fairfield county will still be open.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on October 02, 2014, 05:06:26 PM
Looks like along with Wethersfield, West Hartford Office Depot is closing and so is the Office Max in Waterbury. The two in Fairfield county will still be open.

Well that just plain sucks. Waterbury does not need anymore vacant stores. It seems like they're manufactured their wholesale. LOL. But seriously it's a shame because as of this spring The Brass Mill Commons was at 100% Occupancy for the first time since 2007.

I don't know what they can do with that 29,000 Square Foot Spot. From what I was told the demographics of Waterbury CANNOT support a Bed Bath and Beyond. I would also venture to say rule out their sister chain Christmas Tree Shop as well.

It would be stupid, but TJ MAXX could move a couple doors down into the Office Max spot. Their new location in that plaza that opened this spring is smaller than their old store on Wolcott Street.

The Office Depot in West Hartford is smaller at almost 16,000 Square feet. Not sure what could go in there.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on October 02, 2014, 08:20:07 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on October 02, 2014, 05:06:26 PM

Well that just plain sucks. Waterbury does not need anymore vacant stores. It seems like they're manufactured their wholesale. LOL. But seriously it's a shame because as of this spring The Brass Mill Commons was at 100% Occupancy for the first time since 2007.

I don't know what they can do with that 29,000 Square Foot Spot. From what I was told the demographics of Waterbury CANNOT support a Bed Bath and Beyond. I would also venture to say rule out their sister chain Christmas Tree Shop as well.

It would be stupid, but TJ MAXX could move a couple doors down into the Office Max spot. Their new location in that plaza that opened this spring is smaller than their old store on Wolcott Street.

The Office Depot in West Hartford is smaller at almost 16,000 Square feet. Not sure what could go in there.

The West Hartford store will be reoccupied quickly. Corbin's Corner is a powerhouse center and otherwise is 100% occupied. The only question is whether Sears next door will be open for much longer. They were planning on splitting the store between Sears and Destination XL, but with the way Sears/Kmart is going, maybe that is on hold.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on October 02, 2014, 08:24:41 PM
The West Hartford store will be reoccupied quickly. Corbin's Corner is a powerhouse center and otherwise is 100% occupied. The only question is whether Sears next door will be open for much longer. They were planning on splitting the store between Sears and Destination XL, but with the way Sears/Kmart is going, maybe that is on hold.

If you don't count the soon-to-close Office Depot there are 2 vacancies. - A 2,200 Square Foot Spot that I believe used to be a radio shack and a tiny 369 Square Foot Spot near Office Depot. - 369 Square Feet? What in the world can you do with space that small?

P.S. Sears owns their building at Corbin's Corner.

Everything Community

Office Depot (former Office Max) in Manchester, CT closed in May 2014 and has sat vacant since. It is next to The Edge Fitness Club (former Border's Bookstore)You cannot see attachments on this board.