Office Depot

Started by storehistoryguy, January 07, 2006, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

this office depot is in south portland maine. it was a Kid r us.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
this office depot is in south portland maine. it was a Kid r us.

Office Depot took over some Kids 'R' Us locations when they went out of business. The Kids 'R' Us in Willow Grove Pa. is now an Office Depot as well.

TRU7536

Office Depot will once again return to Newington! Office Depot had two stores in CT, one in Manchster and Newington, the Newington one was where Best Buy is now. Both closed in 2001. But i was driving by yesturday and so a sigh, Office Depot will reopen in Newington. The wierd part is, that their taking over the old Office Maxx building(that has been for 2 yrs now).

AmesNewington

Hi TRU!

It's been ages since I posted, but I had to give input on what you found out.

All I can say is WOW! First of all, I am happy Office Max is being used again. However, I possibly can't see how this would work. Are you aware that even though they don't advertise much, Shaw's Supermarket at the end of the plaza also sells Office Depot products. Well, they don't sell everything there, but the basics. It could work, but it would just seem weird.

Second, how do you think they will do. They have to compete with Staples down the street, and closed probably because of them. The old Office Max space might be less expensive than the Best Buy spot though to rent. The only reason Office Max went was due to the company's financial state as a whole. Thirdly, there is already an Office Depot in Wethersfield on the Silas Deane Highway, parallel to the turnpike. There is also one by Westfarms and Sears in West Hartford.

Personally, I wanted a Dollar Tree to go in to Office Max, but Office Depot is great too. Office supply stores are one of my favorites.

P.S TRU-please go to the Wal-Mart thread, as I will be posting something you might know about.

d_fife

hey, office depot downsized 4 years ago and then pulled out of the northeast (they had stores in warwick, saugus, framingham and I forgot where else they had one), but now are back w/ith buying otu kids r us.

TRU7536

its is weird about office depot moving back to newington, but i drove by and saw a "now hiring sign" for office depot and i went on the web for career builder and they say their opening a new store in newington and enfield. As for how i think they will do, idn. They did pretty well when they were in the old location, but theirs a store in West Hartford and Wethersfield.  Another thingOffice Maxx was always dead in that plaza, must office depot might do good, because of Bob's Stores, their always pretty busy!. But i dn, well will have to see!

Caldor1999

here is office depot in nanuet ny

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1142042246&subNum=12208000058

that one has since closed its still there vacant i believe they moved there store
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
its is weird about office depot moving back to newington, but i drove by and saw a "now hiring sign" for office depot and i went on the web for career builder and they say their opening a new store in newington and enfield. As for how i think they will do, idn. They did pretty well when they were in the old location, but theirs a store in West Hartford and Wethersfield.  Another thingOffice Maxx was always dead in that plaza, must office depot might do good, because of Bob's Stores, their always pretty busy!. But i dn, well will have to see!

I saw this office depot in bangor maine in this newly built plaza

beachgal26

I'm sorry that I don't have any photos to post, but while both Office Max and Office Depot are alive and well in Memphis, I would go to Office Depot instead any day.  For some reason, where you see one store, the other is right around the corner and they all seem to do well.  

However, while the employees in Office Depot are always friendly and helpful, those in Office Max act as though they wouldn't care if I came in to shop or not. (On more than one occasion, I've had to hunt all over the store in Office Max for someone to help me and when I finally find someone, they either say that they don't know the answer or just point me to another part of the store.)

An interesting point is that ther was an Office Max and a Toys R Us that were right next to the Mall of Memphis and I noticed one day that both stores are now empty.  (This makes me wonder if they are eventually going to raze that whole area and what in the world will be built in its place....)

:yup: :) :question: :question:

store215

I wonder if I will get an Office Depot in my town...the Office Max closed down around 2004. (Even though this was in a much newer and nicer store compared to the Staples down the road in a former Rickel hardware).

Now the Staples moved a town over so maybe Office Depot will move in to Ofice Max's space.

I really don't care for Office Depot though. They seem to be more "business" focused, plus Staples has much better pricing.

d_fife

here is the current office depot in manchester CT in the buckland hills plaza in the old kids r us

d_fife

here is a coming soon office depot in manchester CT (as of july 20, 2006) and it is probably replacing hte old officemax. it is near the sam's club and sports authority.

d_fife

here is a coming soon office depot in manchester CT (as of july 20, 2006) and it is probably replacing hte old officemax. it is near the sam's club and sports authority.

more of the coming soon manhcester one

d_fife

office depot in newington CT

d_fife

here is the office depot in wethersfield CT

d_fife

here is the office depot in west hartford ct in the corbins corner plaza where kids r us was.

d_fife

d_fife

office depot in erie pa around millcreek mall.

ameskmart1

Office Depot in Edmonton, AB featuring old logo, taken in July
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Mobil

One Office Depot near me closed in 2001, but somehow reopened in 2004. :huh::holysh: Another one was a former Rickel, but has also closed since. The rest are former
Kids "R" Us. Their current logo was introduced in 2003.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on June 20, 2006, 08:28:05 AM
Office Depot will once again return to Newington! Office Depot had two stores in CT, one in Manchster and Newington, the Newington one was where Best Buy is now. Both closed in 2001. But i was driving by yesturday and so a sigh, Office Depot will reopen in Newington. The wierd part is, that their taking over the old Office Maxx building(that has been for 2 yrs now).

It's funny. This Office Depot has since closed. So both chains with "Office" in their name have both failed in that location in Newington.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on January 15, 2013, 06:43:06 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on June 20, 2006, 08:28:05 AM

It's funny. This Office Depot has since closed. So both chains with "Office" in their name have both failed in that location in Newington.

One office store is enough in Newington. Depot couldn't survive in Newington with one in Wethersfield.

retailisking

If this goes through, expect lots of locations to close. There's been a considerable slowdown in the bricks and mortar office supply sector, with market leader Staples looking to downsize through store closures and reductions in square footage.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/18/us-officedepot-officemax-idUSBRE91H0MZ20130218

ynkeesfn82

2 struggling retailers wanting to get married? Where have we heard this before? Oh yeah Kmart and Sears. And look how well that turned out!

retailisking

The devil is in the details. How many true synergies are there between Office Depot and OfficeMax? What point would there be in maintaining both banners, for example?