Sam's Club

Started by storehistoryguy, January 06, 2006, 03:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

What do you think of Sam's Club new logo ??

Mobil

The Sam's in Cinnaminson, NJ and Willow Grove, PA are a very similar but different story. The one in Cinnaminson was originally a Two Guys, then Jefferson Ward, then Bradlees, then Sam's Club, then the Sam's moved. The store in Willow Grove was originally a Two Guys, then Jefferson Ward, then Jefferson Ward closed. This is unusual because almost all Jefferson Wards became Bradlees. The store instead became a PACE wholesale, then Sam's, then Sam's moved.
:holysh::huh:

DerangedHermit

The only Sam's Club on Long Island is about 5 minutes away, in Medford.

What I find hilarious is that in the same complex...is a Target! It was originally planned to be Wal-Mart, but I guess WM didn't want to cannibalize Sam's Club's business. Too bad, so sad.

rjstheiv

Sams Club in West Mifflin PA. This Sams has just recently been re-located to this location. It was formally down the road a bit in an old dumpy building.

http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Search.aspx

videogamer75

The older Sam's in West Mifflin was originally one of the Kmart-owned PACE Wholesale Clubs. In fact, you can still see the PACE labelscar on that building.

I know of a few other PACE stores that become Sam's Clubs

rjstheiv

Last time I went passed, on the side closest to the airport it was painted over. :(

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
The older Sam's in West Mifflin was originally one of the Kmart-owned PACE Wholesale Clubs. In fact, you can still see the PACE labelscar on that building.

PACE started in 1983 as an indepedent company, then was acquired by Kmart in 1989.

C3Nostalgia

The building was built in 1955, I don't know who the original occupant was, but Sears was located in that building from 67-80 until they relocated to the newly built Century III Mall in fall of 1980.  Then the building sat vacant for a couple of years, CCAC had classes there for a brief time in 82 or 83 while South Campus was being repaired/renovated from flood damage then PACE was there until 92.

http://www.loopnet.com/property/14624951/2930-Lebanon-Church-Road/

I went to take a few photos of the building today, and I found that the PACE labelscars have been painted over.  Except for on little patch on the side of the building facing the 7/11 where a real estate sign was.  half of the PACE's "A" and half of the "C" are visible where this sign was.  You can also see the labelscar of the second "S" in SAM'S Club in between the "A" and "C."  I didn't want to chance going to the main entrance to get a photo of it, because I noticed a cop in his car over in the main parking lot.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by C3Nostalgia

The building was built in 1955, I don't know who the original occupant was, but Sears was located in that building from 67-80 until they relocated to the newly built Century III Mall in fall of 1980.  Then the building sat vacant for a couple of years, CCAC had classes there for a brief time in 82 or 83 while South Campus was being repaired/renovated from flood damage then PACE was there until 92.

http://www.loopnet.com/property/14624951/2930-Lebanon-Church-Road/

I went to take a few photos of the building today, and I found that the PACE labelscars have been painted over.  Except for on little patch on the side of the building facing the 7/11 where a real estate sign was.  half of the PACE's "A" and half of the "C" are visible where this sign was.  You can also see the labelscar of the second "S" in SAM'S Club in between the "A" and "C."  I didn't want to chance going to the main entrance to get a photo of it, because I noticed a cop in his car over in the main parking lot.

The Pace in Willow Grove was a Two Guys and Jefferson Ward.

AmesNewington

The future Newington, CT Sam's is nearly complete, however, construction is still at a stand-still. I really want the store to open, because as soon as that happens, my family wants a membership there. We could go to Berlin for now, but we'll wait. The Sam's gas station was recently built (within a month) and looks ready.

I've heard that by the end of this Winter, the store will supposedly open. I don't really know if I'd believe that at this point. I hope this store gets the new logo on the building.

rjstheiv

This is another pic of the old sams club in West Mifflin PA.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by DerangedHermit
The only Sam's Club on Long Island is about 5 minutes away, in Medford.

What I find hilarious is that in the same complex...is a Target! It was originally planned to be Wal-Mart, but I guess WM didn't want to cannibalize Sam's Club's business. Too bad, so sad.

Actually, Sam's Club is owned by Walmart*. I see Sam's Clubs paired up with Walmart Stores most of the time.

videogamer75

In Langhorne, PA, the Sam's Club there is right next to a Kmart. This is because the Sam's used to be a PACE, which was as mentioned above, a Kmart-owned membership warehouse.

AmesNewington

The new (future) Newington Sam's Club is now expected to open between mid-late July and early August of this year. Apparently, work on the store is back on track. I've seen trucks there, so that's a good sign.  

AmesNewington

UPDATE on Newington, CT: I drove by the Stew Leonards plaza today and noticed that the future Sam's gas station building has been opened up. The boards are off the windows and the gas pumps have been uncovered with the new Sam's Club logo on them. I have no doubt that they will be open by mid-summer.

Marc82

Sam's to lay off 10000 as they out-source in-store sampling program.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-walmart25-2010jan25,0,2523635.story

Bassbomb91

There is a Sam's Club in Philadelphia PA near Franklin Mills Mall. Here are pictures.

Outside the store.

Interior shot

Another interior shot

This is the only Sam's I know near Philadelphia.

Hudsons81

The Sam's Club on Northline Road in Southgate, MI, which happens to be my local one. It first opened in either 1988 or 1989 as an early, pre-PACE Sam's-in fact, it is probably the first Sam's in Michigan and even the first Sam's east of the Mississippi River.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on August 09, 2017, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: retailisking on August 09, 2017, 07:08:52 PM

http://www.unionleader.com/business/sams-club-closing-manchester-store-20170809

Was this location formerly a Pace Membership Warehouse?

There was definitely a Pace in Manchester back in the day, and Sam's Club bought out the chain, so you may be right.

giantsfan2016

Only 9 Days notice? Wow! When they closed down the Neighborhood Market in Bristol, Connecticut they gave a 25 day notice.

retailisking

Alaska and Washington will no longer have Sam's Clubs
http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

JJBers

My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Everything Community

Quote from: JJBers on February 21, 2018, 04:04:21 PMA recently closed Sam's Club.

Abandoned Sam's Club (Manchester, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Still vacant as of now although there are plans to become a brand new furniture warehouse in that very property.

https://patch.com/connecticut/manchester/amp/30539364/furniture-warehouse-proposed-for-former-sams-club-in-manchester

On that note, Manchester, CT was the first Sam's Club to open in New England back in 1991; a few years before Walmart existed in town on the other side of retail area in Manchester though nearby the mall.

Everything Community

Quote from: Everything Community on April 08, 2022, 12:55:09 AM
Quote from: JJBers on February 21, 2018, 04:04:21 PMA recently closed Sam's Club.

Abandoned Sam's Club (Manchester, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Still vacant as of now although there are plans to become a brand new furniture warehouse in that very property.

https://patch.com/connecticut/manchester/amp/30539364/furniture-warehouse-proposed-for-former-sams-club-in-manchester

On that note, Manchester, CT was the first Sam's Club to open in New England back in 1991; a few years before Walmart existed in town on the other side of retail area in Manchester though nearby the mall.

Still the same ol' vacant property as of today