Child World/Children's Palace

Started by Crawford, January 02, 2006, 03:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollingAcres

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
So were the "Child's World" and "Children's Palace" essentially one in the same under two different, but simliar names?

To my knowledge.  I also think Child's World was the company's (corporate) moniker as well.  However, in NE Ohio there was only Children's Palace.

Zayre88

Probably a former Child World in a shopping plaza where Ann&Hope was in North Dartmouth MA.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Probably a former Child World in a shopping plaza where Ann&Hope was in North Dartmouth MA.

i have seen this building and it was a child world. i saw it in 2003. by the way, I want to access that site where you got that. can you tell me where you got it.

Crawford

Child World moved here from it's original spot in the North Dartmouth Mall. I haven't been in the area for years but remember the Grand Reopening sale since I picked up a ton of Colecovision games for practically pennies
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Loki

I picked this up for 28 cents durring Child World's going out of buisness sale around 1992. It's one of those hand waving/baby on board type of signs that attach to a car window with a suction cup.

Caldor1999

dsoe anyone have a picture of one of there stores witha logo idk liek some old picture i want to knwo what they looked like
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Loki

Here's a closer look at the store logo on it. I only remember the store's and company being called Child World, but some of their price stickers read Child World the Children's Palace. This aparantly has a dual name logo.

d_fife

in columbus oh on N. hamilton rd (naer groves st) that looks like a ex-child world and it was within a stonethrow of the Toys r us!!!!

d_fife

child world in columbus oh on w. broad st within a storethrow of the now closed Toys r us.

d_fife

what was the child world in Cincinnati oh on glenway ave in the same parking lot as the TOYS R US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d_fife

what is now in the child world building in barboursville / huntington wv and it is 1/4 mile or less from Toys r us.

Rayco7030

QuoteOriginally posted by Loki
I picked this up for 28 cents durring Child World's going out of buisness sale around 1992. It's one of those hand waving/baby on board type of signs that attach to a car window with a suction cup.

oh i remember peter panda  ;)
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
what was the child world in Cincinnati oh on glenway ave in the same parking lot as the TOYS R US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! Good sighting-- when were you in Cincinnati?  I've never seen that before.  You can see the Drug Emporium logo clearly underneath.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Rayco7030

Burger King.MCdonald's

Rayco7030

Burger King.MCdonald's

Rayco7030

Burger King.MCdonald's

Rayco7030

Burger King.MCdonald's

d_fife

former Officemax in Sandusky oh that opened in the late 1980s as a protoype store and closed in spring 1992 months before all closed. This was a Children's palace.

XISMZERO

Former Child World, recently Media Play (now vacant) in Columbus, OH. It's on Broad St., right next to a vacant Toys "R" Us. I had never seen one of these before.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Former Child World, recently Media Play (now vacant) in Columbus, OH. It's on Broad St., right next to a vacant Toys "R" Us. I had never seen one of these before.

The area is a dump, sadly.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Anonymous

Oh how I miss those Childrens Palace stores! Dayton Oh had two of them & Cincinnati had at least four of them. You should have seen them before a remodel...Those doors & windows or the front of that Media play are slightly altered but, the shape is the original. Those buildings looked like a castle with the towers & all. Those have been removed in this picture.  I seem to recall multi color flags flying above on the roof too. A fond piece of my youth. R.I.P. my old dear friend Childrens Palace... Thanks, Dwayne

Anonymous

I didn't see some of the previous posts until I posted my earlier post. I wanted to comment on the Glenway ave Childrens Palace in Cincy. That was one of their bigger stores it was much bigger than the Colerain ave store or Tri County Mall one.  The Toys R Us that is kinda sorta in the same lot was NOT there during Childrens Palaces lifetime. Toys R Us opened in like 1993 after Chlidrens was gone.  It took over a building that had housed two other long gone chains Gold Circle & Hills.  Just to let you Ames fans know directly across the street up on a hillside was the Western Hills Mall a very small place that was once home to Zayre & then became Ames.   Thanks, Dwayne

FearlessSwan

There was a Child World in Westport, CT. Not sure when it went under, but it was eventually replaced by Toys R Us. I only remember going to the store once when it was a Child World.

jmann

There was one in Waterbury Ct. in the Waterbury Plaza. It's now a Super Stop and Shop.

GeorgeL

There was a Childworld in the CT Milford Post Mall. In the late 70s and all throughout 80s I practically got either a toy or video game there and Milford TRU every Friday night.

My parents also would bring us to Westport Childworld which closed when they filed for bankruptcy in 91. TRU took over the building and just closed this past Jan. My business is 1 mile away from the former Westport TRU. I used to go there at least 3 times a week for the past 3 years. It really sucks they left. Sad thing is they could have stayed if the owner of the building agreed to fix the place. It was literally falling apart and the a/c barely worked. Some summer days it would reach 85 degrees no problem inside. The building is gutted right now (including the floor which is now dirt). Homegoods will be the new tenant. If I had to guess Homegoods is footing the bill. If not they will be paying some HEFTY rent.

There was also a Childworld in Hamden CT in the same Plaza as Jimmies used to occupy (Hamden Plaza). For those unfamiliar with Jimmies it was a sit down seafood resturant. Really good back in the day. I think the original one in Savin Rock is still open. I remember eating there in the mid 90s and the food and service was PUTRID. Back in the 80s when customer service was priority the food and service was excellent. Both, Jimmies and Childworld were in the plaza with the parked cars that were covered with ashpalt. Anyone remember them? I think it was referred to as the "ghost parking lot". My aunt and uncle who lived next door to us at the time in Monroe loved going to Jimmies at least once a month. So my cousin and I would tag along. My uncle would go to the hamden location since there was a Childworld in the same lot. No matter what time you went to eat at Jimmies the wait would be 45mins to an hour. So we would march on over to childworld and load up on star wars figures. Ah those were the times.....

I just wish I had photos from those good ole days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loki

I remember going to most of the southwestern Connecticut Childworlds as a kid. There was one in East Haven that is now a TJ Maxx, that unfortunately I never got to visit just drive by from the highway. I went to the Hamden one only a few times and remember climbing on the buried cars in the Ghost Parking Lot, it's a shame they took them out. Waterbury closed years before the whole chain went under. Milford and Westport were the two I visited the most, even worked in the Westport one doing seasonal stock work right out of high school. Out of all the dead retail chains from my childhood, I'd have to say I miss Childworld most of all.

scottw73

C3Nostalgia

In the background of this picture, you can see the West Mifflin, PA Children's Palace.  This photo is from 1978, and came from a press kit about Century III Mall opening in 79.  This store is now divided between Petco and Matress Discounters.

twiki1979

I just wanted to mention that if anyone has any items from this store,photos,bags,items,nametags...literally anything i will buy it for top dollar. I hope it's ok to post this here!;)