Main Menu

KB Toys

Started by C. Fontaine, January 12, 2005, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Toys R Us is goin out too. They're spinning off the toy business soon and just gonna stick with Kids R Us. I made sure I got a pic of of our local toys R Us, before it's gone.

The new owners may continue to operate it as normal, but I have a feeling Toys R Us is going to be history soon. Just not enough business anymore.

Kids R Us is gone u mean Babies R  Us this is sad to me cause i loved toys r us when i was a kid and i hoped to see it last foreven well i guess this gives a chance 4 KB Toys to get a 2nd chance i have a tion of Toys R Us Pictures
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

If you have any older pics of Toy R Uses or pics of older stores, you should post them. I'd like to see them!!

Caldor1999

If you have any older pics of Toy R Uses or pics of older stores, you should post them. I'd like to see them!!

there is one in Danburey CT but i believe that one got rentvaed but i'll take some that toys r us might hvae opened in the late 80's or 90's
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

NJF

On a related note does anyone remember the K&K Toys chain?  They were located inside malls, I never saw one outside of a mall.  They sold out to KB Toys in the late 80s or early 90s sometime to focus on their now Dollar Tree chain.  Below is the logo they commonly used.

Jag67

Caldor1999

hear a bag i save from almost beeing thrown out
Caldor Forever!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
hear a bag i save from almost beeing thrown out

I have a lot of those bags!:yup:

My Torrington KB Toys was spared from being closed!:D

while the rest at least the majority of them in the area closed in:

Westfarms Mall,West Hartford:no:
Simsbury Commons,Avon,Ct:no:
darn I can't think of anymore!
can anybody please list all the KB Toys locations that closed please? :(

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by NJF
On a related note does anyone remember the K&K Toys chain?  They were located inside malls, I never saw one outside of a mall.  They sold out to KB Toys in the late 80s or early 90s sometime to focus on their now Dollar Tree chain.  Below is the logo they commonly used.

He He cute logo:insane:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by NJF

LOLO thats a cute logo to bad its gone
Caldor Forever!

truviking05

Just for you, Jag67!

It looks just like my old TRU...:( Sorry, for some reason it won't let me paste the pic here...?

LINK: http://www.877webteam.com/877CDTRAINING/MARKETING%20%205540/toysrus.jpg

Caldor1999

let me past the pic
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05

Just for you, Jag67!

It looks just like my old TRU...:( Sorry, for some reason it won't let me paste the pic here...?

there i got it up 4 ya lol i like that TRU logo:yup:
Caldor Forever!

truviking05

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05

Just for you, Jag67!

Thank you SO much! I love that logo too :D

there i got it up 4 ya lol i like that TRU logo:yup:

Jag67

Sigh....

the same store 2 months later..now laux sporting goods.

tokensafari

We're going to see less and less of just Toy Stores. Toys R Us is in a world of hurting right now. They have over $3 billion worth of retail property and assets and no one to dump it on. KB Toys went from some 3 thousand stores to something like 1500 or more. all of you can blame it all on Wal-Mart, but the fact of the matter is.. Target is right there next to Wal-Mart. Now Wal-Mart isn't even doing well... they're sales have dropped. Things just aren't looking good no matter where you turn. This is a shaky sector. Retail is dangerous waters!!

d_fife

this toy works was in Danbury in berkshire shopping cneter and closed in eraly 2005.

from  Neil Goldstein of ngoldstein@thegoldsteingroup.com of www.siteride.com

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
this toy works was in Danbury in berkshire shopping cneter and closed in eraly 2005.

from  Neil Goldstein of ngoldstein@thegoldsteingroup.com of www.siteride.com

wow toy works was bougt out by KB toys in teh late 90's but they uslay changed teh name on there stores though
Caldor Forever!

Crawford

Kay Bee was always overpriced in my opinion. I've noticed some of them have closed in various malls while others are doing well. They just seem very claustrophobic and unpleasant. The Toy Works near me was especially obnoxious when anyone under 40 walked in and were swarmed with clerks. I felt like I was being treated like a potential shoplifter and resented it.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

dayville81

It is hard for KB Toys to compete with Wal-Mart. The trend is people go to the least number of stores possible to get their shopping done due to how busy we all are. So Superstores are becoming more attractive to people. It is hard to believe a mall without a toy store. KB Toy Works closed its large store in Old Saybrook Shopping Center a couple years ago and more recently closed its store in Crystal Mall in Waterford and the East Brook Mall in Mansfield. Old Saybrook now has a Home Goods in the old Toy Works, Crystal Mall leases the store out to seasonal stores, East Brook Mall had EB Games lease out most of the space with a small portion of the space vacant.

d_fife

here is kb toys in danoir plaza in norwalk ct that closed last year. it is on ct ave.

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/t_snapshot.pl?subNum=10209000895&tenNum=10209000895.0001

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Nampa, ID (Now closed)

d_fife

here is kb toy works in new bedford on fieldstone marketplace

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/Fieldstone.htm

d_fife

here is here kb toys in yonkers ny on cross country shopping center on central park ave

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1141430918&subNum=40214000001

d_fife

XISMZERO

Kay Bee (later acronymed K-B) Toys or Toy Works used to be a very worthy competitor to Toys "R" Us. About the same time as TRU, the store became crippled and lackluster. I'm almost afraid to walk into a K-B -- the stores are very skeletal; looking like they're going out of business and closing in a week. I can recall the last few times I visited I was one of the only people browsing the store.

This store has sadly gone further downhill than Toys "R" Us... their video game department is humiliating and their toy selection is withering. I witnessed a bunch of key locations I visited as a child go down (Newington, Westfarms Mall - closed one then rebuilt then closed again, Bristol, Southington, Avon/Simsbury...) and I'm not sad to see them go. Mall locations are barely hanging in there -- I'm not sure they sell games anymore either.

Like TRU, they're becoming a bad memory as they continue to blunder their operations today by being incompetant by not adapting to a growing and changing industry.

I'll give K-B a few more years if that and they'll go the way of the retail graveyard. Stores are closing fast so it's only realistic to expect it. I don't think I'll miss them...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr