Montgomery Ward/Lechemere/Electric Avenue/Electric Avenue

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikapower

Wasn't Lechemere once owned by Dayton Hudson (now Target) Corporation?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

BillyGr

Quote from: Pikapower on August 31, 2018, 04:38:22 PM

It does mention that in the Wikipedia article (though only as Dayton's - perhaps prior to the Dayton Hudson merger?).

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on September 01, 2018, 11:27:37 AM
Quote from: Pikapower on August 31, 2018, 04:38:22 PM

It does mention that in the Wikipedia article (though only as Dayton's - perhaps prior to the Dayton Hudson merger?).

Lechmere was bought by Dayton Corporation a year prior to the 1969 merger with Hudson. It remained part of Dayton-Hudson until the 1989 management-led LBO.

Everything Community

Just saw this building with the sign that said "Montgomery Ward", yet, I'm almost aware that it was once a store the Department store chain had in downtown Putnam, Connecticut but when I saw the sign on the door that said "The Shops at Montgomery Ward", I can tell this may not even have been their former real department store as there are thriving shops around here. So what's the point of copying the store name? Is that what some downtown districts use?

BillyGr

Quote from: Everything Community on July 06, 2019, 11:53:04 PM
Just saw this building with the sign that said "Montgomery Ward", yet, I'm almost aware that it was once a store the Department store chain had in downtown Putnam, Connecticut but when I saw the sign on the door that said "The Shops at Montgomery Ward", I can tell this may not even have been their former real department store as there are thriving shops around here. So what's the point of copying the store name? Is that what some downtown districts use?

Wouldn't be surprising for a former department store to be in a building like that (as they were in the days before malls were thought of), and the building certainly looks like it could have been one large store that was later split up.
Also, in earlier years many of these companies had some of their catalog business set up in different areas around the country to make for easier distribution, and those were often in part of a building that also housed a store (the less accessible areas in the rear or an upper level(s)).

So it certainly looks like it could have been a Wards store at one point.