Montgomery Ward/Lechemere/Electric Avenue/Electric Avenue

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRJ22487

I've been driving past this truck for years and finally found the time to pull over and take a picture.
It is in Wilton, New Hampshire at the water bottling plant

gu4ever

After visiting the Grand Union store in Tannersville, NY I headed west on 23A onto 23. I was welcomed to this sign along my way to Stamford.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

Here's a close up of the sign hanging from the building.

gu4ever

The sign found in New York on RT23 is a mini version of the one that was on this sign post in Nashua, NH.

gu4ever

In downtown Vermont the former Montgomery Ward building still stands with it's painted sign on the top of the building.

gu4ever

gu4ever

Taking a trip out to Peterborough today with my friend I got to be the passenger for a change.
When we drove back through Wilton, NH on route 101 heading east towards Milford, I discovered
this trailer tucked away amongst a cluster of other trailers.

Opps... TRJ22487 already posted this same trailer back on 8/04/09. I remembered that a trailer was posted
recently, but forgot that it was right here in the area. This is a picture of the other side of the trailer for your enjoyment. :)

Ameskid

Just found this picture of a special edition car that Bobby Labonte drove in 1998.  Note the Wards Auto Express logos.

http://jayski.com/schemes/98/18ss-hood.jpg

Pics credit: Jayski
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

jmcnamara96

any one have pictures of the lechrmere in the mall of nh it is now ac morre and best buy

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

here are pics of the one in Weymouth pics takeing by Ted Swift
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

nims57

That store looks kind of like the Bradlees from that 1974 NBA commercial. Could it be?

gu4ever

So the Montgomery Wards in Nashua, NH finally has a store number.... Taken from the Montgomery Ward fashion box from catalog service!!

jmcnamara96

Hears a list of Lechmere Locations as of 1989 IN Mass
88 First St./Cambridge  (617)-491-2000
Liberty Tree Mall/Danvers (508)-777-1000
688 Provindence HW/Dedham (617)-329-2200
Framinham Mall/Framinham (508)-620-0100
740 Middle St./Weymouth (617)-337-5770
Woburn Mall/Woburn (617)-935-8320
Grendale Mall/Worchester (508)-856-9800
1550 Boston Rd./Springfeild (413)-543-5100

This was my 1000 Post!!! :P

Kmart4life

retailisking

I'm seeing tons of TV ads for the resurrected wards.com this holiday season.  Ironically, they have a higher profile in my neck of the woods than they had back in the day.  Where I grew up their presence was limited to a nondescript tiny catalog store.

http://wards.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=Commercial

TRJ_22487

I posted this in the vinyl record section but figured I'd put it here too.

Longtime residents of New England or New York should remember Lechmere, which closed in November 1997.
The only ones I can remember going to a few times were in Manchester and Nashua, NH, but I feel like I have been to others in Massachusetts or Connecticut as well.  
Well if you don't remember them, the 1988 corporate video has been dug up on Youtube that shows off the entire Danvers, Mass store and some of the Liberty Tree Mall, which still exists, though the Lechmere was demolished in 1998.
Really cool to look at. This is before Montgomery Ward bought them out and ran them into the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Z_2XZ4KY

In this shot from then and 2009, you can see the hall area still looks very much the same!

This particular store #003 also has a Facebook page with literally dozens of photos from the 70's to the late 90's
But most of the photos seem to come from the same era that this video was shot, or even earlier!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lechmere-003/108905319133994?sk=photos_stream

Lechmere and Filene's Basement were anchor stores of the mall until 1997 when they were demolished and rebuilt into Target, Staples, Dollar Tree and Best Buy in 1998/1999. An f.y.e. replaced part of an area of smaller stores, converting them into a music store/video arcade (formerly Dream Machine), both of which have since closed. Another group of stores was converted to Bed Bath & Beyond.

Ann & Hope closed its 211,300-square-foot (19,630 m2) store in 2001 due to poor sales. It was later rebuilt into Kohl's. Stop & Shop and Pier 1 Imports were later built to the left of Kohl's. A Loews Theatres 20-screen multiplex was also added to the mall.

In January 2008, Stop & Shop closed. The 91,000-square-foot (8,500 m2) store was originally built in 2003.[1] The former Stop & Shop space was converted for use by Nordstrom Rack and Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse, which opened in November 2008.[2] In 2009, the former f.y.e. was replaced by a Steve & Barry's, but only operated briefly until the company's bankruptcy. This location featured a more modern design compared to other locations.

Here is a Duran Duran record I have with a Lechmere sticker. They started selling music in the early 80's.
Fun Fact: Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown was arrested at the Liberty Tree Mall location (shown above) for shoplifting vinyl record LP's! It is in his autobiography.

TRU7536

Can someone tell me where all the Lechmere locations were located in CT? I am really intrigued to find out where the Manchester one was.

jmcnamara96

In MA. in '89 they had stores in
Cambridge-88 First Street
Cambridge-Liberty Tree Mall
Dedham-688 Providence Highway
Framingham-400 Cochituate Road
Weymouth-740 Middle Street
Woburn-275 Wildwood Street
Woburn-Mishawun Road and Commerce Road
Woburn-7 Neponset Street

Lastdaysofrain

That's a great video. I don't think it's a training video though, it looks like it was produced in house for maybe a Christmas party or something.

There are some fantastic classic accents in that thing.

TRJ_22487

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on December 30, 2012, 01:57:34 PM
Longtime residents of New England or New York should remember Lechmere, which closed in November 1997.
The only ones I can remember going to a few times were in Manchester and Nashua, NH, but I feel like I have been to others in Massachusetts or Connecticut as well.  
Well if you don't remember them, the 1988 corporate video has been dug up on Youtube that shows off the entire Danvers, Mass store and some of the Liberty Tree Mall, which still exists, though the Lechmere was demolished in 1998.
Really cool to look at. This is before Montgomery Ward bought them out and ran them into the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Z_2XZ4KY

In this shot from then and 2009, you can see the hall area still looks very much the same!

This particular store #003 also has a Facebook page with literally dozens of photos from the 70's to the late 90's
But most of the photos seem to come from the same era that this video was shot, or even earlier!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lechmere-003/108905319133994?sk=photos_stream

Lechmere and Filene's Basement were anchor stores of the mall until 1997 when they were demolished and rebuilt into Target, Staples, Dollar Tree and Best Buy in 1998/1999. An f.y.e. replaced part of an area of smaller stores, converting them into a music store/video arcade (formerly Dream Machine), both of which have since closed. Another group of stores was converted to Bed Bath & Beyond.

Ann & Hope closed its 211,300-square-foot (19,630 m2) store in 2001 due to poor sales. It was later rebuilt into Kohl's. Stop & Shop and Pier 1 Imports were later built to the left of Kohl's. A Loews Theatres 20-screen multiplex was also added to the mall.

In January 2008, Stop & Shop closed. The 91,000-square-foot (8,500 m2) store was originally built in 2003.[1] The former Stop & Shop space was converted for use by Nordstrom Rack and Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse, which opened in November 2008.[2] In 2009, the former f.y.e. was replaced by a Steve & Barry's, but only operated briefly until the company's bankruptcy. This location featured a more modern design compared to other locations.

Quote from: Lastdaysofrain on January 07, 2013, 02:38:50 PM
That's a great video. I don't think it's a training video though, it looks like it was produced in house for maybe a Christmas party or something.

There are some fantastic classic accents in that thing.

No it's definitely not a training video, but it was a corporate video, or as you say produced in house. Apparently there was no budget to put a microphone on any of these people lol. Still it captures what a Lechmere store looked like fantastically. It's as if it were all still there. I love the accents as well. I feel like you really don't see as many young people with the true mass accent anymore.....the old timers though, oh boy.

If you look in the Ann & Hope thread, I linked to a video from New Years Eve December 1980 at the Ann & Hope down the corridor, which anchored the mall on the other side. I was definitely born 30 years before I should have been. I can never shake the feeling that I should have been in my 30's in the 1980's.....

zonemad96

their used to be one in westminster md it was torn down and 2 years lator a boscovs was bult their i wish someone had pictures of that store id love to see it. i have a slight memory of it but i was only 4 i remember looking though the tiny square in the mall wall wondering what store was going to go their and watched their progress as they remodeled.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on December 30, 2012, 08:35:13 PM
Can someone tell me where all the Lechmere locations were located in CT? I am really intrigued to find out where the Manchester one was.

The Lechmere location was on Pleasant Valley Road in a shopping center where a MISMANAGED CompUSA store was. I believe it is now a JoAnn Fabric and More.

Kmart4life

Hudsons81

A chronological photo timeline of the Montgomery Ward in Southgate, Michigan: 1958-2012.

A newspaper article about the opening of the store, 1958

1989, during the final days of it's original brick facade

2001 or 2002, shortly after closure

The interior less than a year before demolition

ynkeesfn82

There were a bunch of ads that came with my Mom's life insurance bill that came in the mail today. One of the ads was to send away for a free Montgomery Ward Catalog.

TheFugitive

I remember that Montgomery Ward store in Southgate.
Was last in it around 1995, I think.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 31, 2015, 08:58:44 AM
I remember that Montgomery Ward store in Southgate.
Was last in it around 1995, I think.

I believe you may have already seen the new exterior facade that was added in 1989.

TheFugitive