Montgomery Ward/Lechemere/Electric Avenue/Electric Avenue

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedisneystore967

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Just remember....You can't shop smarter than Wards! ;)
'

that brings back fond memories...............

thedisneystore967

Actullay, the last Wards store i knew of in virginia & maryland that hadn't been turned into something else, was......

AmesNewington

The big Lechmere in Newington closed in 1997 about. Now it is a Jo Ann Etc Superstore and a Big Lots (the same plaza that Toy Works was in and Modell's is coming in). We actually have a small TV/VCR from there that still works fine.

TRU7536

Also don't forget, TGIF fridays is also moving into the plaza. they sre constructing a new building for them. Also, sometime this spring or summer, the plaza is going to get a new makeover, new facade, repaving of parking lot and some tress are coming down to.

AmesNewington

I heard about that. I like to read the Town Manager's Reports on the Newington Homepage. It was thought that TGI Fridays was going to be where Panera Bread is now when Wal-Mart opened in 2001. I think that if they do over the JoAnn Plaza, the turnpike will look great and re-vived as a whole. Between 1999 and 2003, you could easily find an empty store on the pike, but now retailers are seeing the central advantage of the pike in Newington. The only store they're clear on not putting on the pike is Christmas Tree Shop.

shakethis1234

There was a Lechmere at Carousel Mall in syracuse. My Neighbor works at the mall. gutting out closed stores an building new stores in the mall. He took out this huge fire Extinuse gave it to my family. I still have that Fire Extinuse that came from Lechmere

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
what is Electic Ave

It was a breif store format that Wards had...pretty much the same thing as Service Merchandise, with more electrionics added in. I think they also used "Electric Ave" name on some of their appliances.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
what is Electic Ave

that store lasted from 1985 to 1997 or wards might hvae picked it yp along with lechmere in 1994
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

I remember the Buffalo Walden Galleria Lechmere when I was little. I used to call them "Lechmera's" for some reason. I used to love the sign on the side of the store. That beautiful warm bright red. I would just stand in the middle of the parking and gaze at it while my mom and dad packed their purchases into the car. I wasn't in it much, but I remember once we got stuck in the elavator leading to the store as the mall was closing. I have some good memories of that place. It closed with all the other Lechmeres in 1997, even though the elavator sign stayed up a few years longer.

And if we're gonna talk about Ward's, let's not forget ol' Dixie Square!! Gotta love the psychedelic wallpaper in this place. (I've collected some shots of the interior from the net too.) Closed since 1977!!!

From the DeadMalls.com site.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
I remember the Buffalo Walden Galleria Lechmere when I was little. I used to call them "Lechmera's" for some reason. I used to love the sign on the side of the store. That beautiful warm bright red. I would just stand in the middle of the parking and gaze at it while my mom and dad packed their purchases into the car. I wasn't in it much, but I remember once we got stuck in the elavator leading to the store as the mall was closing. I have some good memories of that place. It closed with all the other Lechmeres in 1997, even though the elavator sign stayed up a few years longer.

And if we're gonna talk about Ward's, let's not forget ol' Dixie Square!! Gotta love the psychedelic wallpaper in this place. (I've collected some shots of the interior from the net too.) Closed since 1977!!!

From the DeadMalls.com site.

that mall closed in 1979 and was rentvaied for the blues brouthers movie in 1980
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

Yes, the mall did close in 1979, but the Ward's store closed a little earlier because they moved to a new locaton.

HoJofan206

It is funny that you mention Dixie Square Mall.  I just watched "The Blues Brothers" from 1980.  The mall they drive through was the actual Dixie Square Mall.  It has allready been closed for a year when the movie was shot and some of the stores shown in the mall really were not the tenants that were there when the mall was open.  I know the mall did NOT have a Toys R Us in it.  I think it was a drug store when the mall really was open.  Does anyone know for sure?

Jag67

Yes, it was a Walgreens. In the movie it was dressed up as Toys R Us because Walgreens didn't want to be in the film.

Jag67

Here's some interior shots of the dixie square location. I'm gonna guess this was the electronics department. Groovy!!

Jag67

Funky!!

Imagine the looks wards would get if they had this stuff in their stores "today" (Ok fine 2001).

Can you believe this is ALL gone now????

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Funky!!

Imagine the looks wards would get if they had this stuff in their stores "today" (Ok fine 2001).

Can you believe this is ALL gone now????

from what i heard that Montgomery Ward Rectley Burned Down in 2004:flaming:lol that flames resent the fire lol:bigsmile:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

but that mall is so messed up u can hardley tell what stores what lol when i saw pictures of that mall i had no idea were the old montgomery ward was:insane:
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

Actually, it didn't burn down, it was gutted. That's right, COMPLETELY gutted. Nothing is left of the Wards store except a shell.

Now what if American Kitchen (The tennant who is moving into wards) decides at the last minute to back out?? That means they destroyed a great 60's-70's museum of decor for nothing. I don't see how anybody could move into a store that has been abandoned for TWENTY-EIGHT years with such little renovation, not to mention the store will be "open" while the REST of the mall sits abandoned among weeds (Excuse me, Trees). Who would wanna go to that place?? What about the parking lot?? I think it should have been preserved, as a monument of retail in the 60's and 70's. Too late now.. At least they let the stuff on the pillars, to remind of what once was. Ahh, it will probably be removed soon too. Bummer...

LEAVE DIXIE SQUARE ALONE!!!!

Can you believe they did this??!!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

i wish i hjad a chance to see one of these stores they looked like a cleaner version of Sears
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

the head quaters this has since become a aprment bulding
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears my drawing of the new Montgomery Ward aka Monkey Ward lol
Caldor Forever!

truviking05

My local Monkey Wards was awesome! I LOVED Electric Avenue, and I only have very blurry toddler memories of it :( But it closed before the company went out of business, around 1998 or 1999. I think the last thing I ever got from there was an Electric Avenue brand Giga Pet! Now the store is a Burlington Coat Factory and natural market combined. Oh, and this store had an awesome Kids' Store too..had a separate name, can't recall...will try to post pics someday!