Montgomery Ward/Lechemere/Electric Avenue/Electric Avenue

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
nice pics i should g o to lockport ny i cant believe itss till vacant after the 2nd wave of closings in 1999

well, almost every store in the mall was vacant. montgomery wards, most of them, seem to be in malls that are secondary or where malls that are now devoloped into big box centers like plattsburgh, colonie / albany, schenectady.

wasent ames in there or was that anoutehr mall in lockport or something?

yes ames was still vacant

now back to montgomery ward.

I still cannot believe they had ones in mass. I heard people called it monkey wards and my dad thought montgomery ward was lackluster in the end. I Thought so too and my mom thought their stores are crummy looking.

Caldor1999

nice pics i should g o to lockport ny i cant believe itss till vacant after the 2nd wave of closings in 1999

well, almost every store in the mall was vacant. montgomery wards, most of them, seem to be in malls that are secondary or where malls that are now devoloped into big box centers like plattsburgh, colonie / albany, schenectady.

wasent ames in there or was that anoutehr mall in lockport or something?

yes ames was still vacant

now back to montgomery ward.

I still cannot believe they had ones in mass. I heard people called it monkey wards and my dad thought montgomery ward was lackluster in the end. I Thought so too and my mom thought their stores are crummy looking.

i saw one out in co when it was open back in 1997 i didne tgo in though fromt he looks of it its a better version of sears im also noidice that sears is kida ending up liek montgomery ward ina  way
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Ameskid

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
Why do you say that?

i say that because sears in a way is kida ending up like wards i mean look in 1994 they bought out lechemere 10 years latter u have the sears and kmart merger and like lechmere kamrt was a dyeingchain of stores also wards had specitla stores and so dose sears not to mention the auto centers they bouth had and teh declning sales over the years bouth wards and sears had that so u neevr know maby in teh next 20 years there wont be any sears
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MontgomeryWardFan

^ I said that in another post but it some how was deleted

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

d_fife

store215

Wow! I never seen a Best Buy and Circuit City so close before

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

d_fife

the one in utica ny as of may 31, 2006 and it does not say montgomery ward

Caldor1999

the one in utica ny as of may 31, 2006 and it does not say montgomery ward
whats did they put trhere now ???
Caldor Forever!

amesman

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
The Utica location is a Linens and Things now.

the linens n things did make it seem it was a smaller montgomery ward (but wal-mart is right next to it) and the linens n thiungs looks remodeled and nothing like a montgomery ward and still has that entrance door with no entrance in.

powersbt

Here's the deal: the Montgomery Wards was a larger store than the building is now. When Linens and Things moved in, they knocked part of the building down, specifically the side nearest to Walmart. If you go around behind the store, there is still evidence that Montgomery Wards was there, especially on the doors.

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
The Utica location is a Linens and Things now.

the linens n things did make it seem it was a smaller montgomery ward (but wal-mart is right next to it) and the linens n thiungs looks remodeled and nothing like a montgomery ward and still has that entrance door with no entrance in.

dmx10101

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

I have a large amount of Wards stuff. Here's a few pictures of my personal collection.

First here are a few different Wards bags. The bag writing bag, I have about 2000 of those. I bought a case of the small size and a case of the medium size bags when they were closing.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

Ok here are some Wards reciepts, some are from when they were closing and some are older and from before they were having closing sales. Also there's a NFL guide that Wards was giving away.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

These are the FINAL 4 regualr Wards ads before they started to have their going out of business sale.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

And finally here's all of the Wards going out of business ads that they ran in the newspapers.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
And finally here's all of the Wards going out of business ads that they ran in the newspapers.

Gee - that was a long going out of business sale (since a couple in the middle row say "after 125 years" while the rest say "after 128 years"!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101

Gee - that was a long going out of business sale (since a couple in the middle row say "after 125 years" while the rest say "after 128 years"!

the sale stared in jan 2001 and dident end till may 2001
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

hears teh inside of a lechmere stsore i kida like how it looks

Kind of a dark store, dont u think? Does anyone know where this store was located or was this a store demo.

beachgal26

I would not think that it could be possible for Sears to follow in Wards footsteps - as long as they had control of their own fate.  Now that someone else owns them and has confused everyone with the idea of Sears and KMart being one and the same, it could definately dilute their presence in the shopping community.

Since both Wards and Sears had a long-standing catalog business that was one of their strongest selling points and Sears dropped that years ago, it might give them a bit better ending than Wards faced.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
I would not think that it could be possible for Sears to follow in Wards footsteps - as long as they had control of their own fate.  Now that someone else owns them and has confused everyone with the idea of Sears and KMart being one and the same, it could definately dilute their presence in the shopping community.

Since both Wards and Sears had a long-standing catalog business that was one of their strongest selling points and Sears dropped that years ago, it might give them a bit better ending than Wards faced.

well ove rth e years sears still ahevtn been doing well i mean look at what they did to all thougehrs fromer kmarts all they did wa s apaint job and a new logo to the old jkmart stores  and now there going to become sears grand which is a bad idea cause most kmarts are not that big to be a grand store which is why i think its a bad idiea to change them
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

d_fife

former lechmere in cheektowaga / buffalo ny in walden galleria and opened 1991 and 82,000 sq.ft.

webcookie

The Montgomery Ward in Poughkeepsie is now a DSW on the lower level and Dick's on the upper level.
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

MontgomeryWardFan

At Midnight Tonite Montgomery Ward Turns 135 Years Old