Hannaford

Started by d_fife, December 22, 2005, 10:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Virginia Beach, VA.

All Hannafords in virginia and north carolina were closed and sold. they were not in those markets long.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
all hannafords in virginia and north carolina were closed and sold. they were not in those markets long.

Probably when they were bought by Delhaize who already had Food Lion in those areas.

d_fife

here is a hannaford. in Vt and NY hannaford bought out a few grand unions.

from http://www.thelagroup.com/hannaford.asp

d_fife

here is the hannaford in belfast. it is getting remodeld and expanded by adding 12,000 square feet. the store is currently 44,000 square feet and was originally 21,900 squrae feet. it opened in early 1984 with Ames

from By Christine Parrish http://waldo.villagesoup.com/community/story.cfm?storyID=66662

d_fife

here is hannaford in north conway in mt. valley mall. it is 53,000 squre feet, opened in late 1980. it has no indorr access to the mall. it was remodleed in the late 1990s.

from 'http://www.kgiproperties.com/properties/location/9/

d_fife

here is the hannaford in middleboro mass that was once victory supermarket. hannaford bought out all victorys

from http://www.kgiproperties.com/properties/location/21/

BillyGr

These are shots of the East Greenbush store on Rts 9&20 across from the end of Route 4 (which ends here after travelling from NH across Vt to the Lake George area then South) (Top & Middle) - This is one of the earlier Hannaford (Then Shop n Save) stores in the Albany area.  It was a newly built building (the rest of the plaza is to the right and there is a 5 foot or so break between buildings) and was remodeled last year (original roof didn't have the two "peaks" just the angled roofing seen to the outside of the peaks).

The bottom photo is the Niskayuna Store (On Balltown ROad just down from the former Mohawk Mall).  This store was a newly built building and may have been remodeled at some point (I seem to remember a larger sign - this one looks as bad as that Stop and Shop on the old Grand Union - like somebody aimed the Honey I Shrunk ray at it!).

BillyGr

A couple shots - the first (and second) are of the Ravena Shop 'N Save (a former Grand Union now run under the supplied but not owned by Hannaford arm).  Unfortunately the sign didn't come out clearly, but it says
Ravena
Shop 'n Save
(fine print)Supplied by Hannaford

The 3rd is the new Hannaford in Valatie under construction.

BillyGr

This is the Hannaford (former Grand Union) in the Delaware Plaza - it was the only GU in the Albany area to be turned into a Hannaford (as far as I know).

BillyGr

1st shot is the (newly built) store just south of Red Hook on Route 9 - it is quite well hidden except for the sign by the road).

2nd is Miller's Shop 'n' Save in West Sand Lake - this is an independent store supplied by Hannaford (previously by SuperValu) and was one of the first (at least in this area) to do that arrangement - they finally changed the sign a couple years ago (until then it still said Miller's Market).

3rd is the Bennington (VT) store is on Route 67A.  This store was a newly built building and looks similar to how most of the Albany area ones looked when first built (most have since been remodeled).

BillyGr

The first photo is the Highland store - in with the J(Ames)way on Route 9W just south of the Mid-Hudson bridge.  It is an obvious former glass-front Grand Union - I think this was the one I went into that still has the front center island deli (another GU idea from that time).

2nd is the Kingston store (downtown) - in the Kingston plaza.  Another former Grand Union, and a different design I haven't seen elsewhere with the corner entry (though it wouldn't work in many locations).

3rd is the Wolf Road store - a fairly typical Hannaford during the time they were moving into the area.

Last is the Albany Central Avenue store - this has a history: there was originally a Grand Union here - they later moved across to Westgate (upon the purchase of the existing Scott's (Albany Public) store there.  This then became a Toys for Joy (run by a local store - they had 3 Joy discount stores and about 10-12 toy stores at the largest).  After they left, it was empty for a bit, then became the Hannaford (they must have added on or taken over additional store fronts to make the store the size it is now).

BillyGr

This is the Oneonta store - it sits by itself, while the other smaller shops in the "plaza" are off to the right in a strip - don't know why or how that happened.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
This is the Oneonta store - it sits by itself, while the other smaller shops in the "plaza" are off to the right in a strip - don't know why or how that happened.

The Hannaford came in before the Smaller Plaza did.

d_fife

here is hannaford's 55,000 sf bennington vt store.

JimSawhill

I wonder if Hannaford will compete in Connecticut.  I doubt they will open a store in Connecticut.
     As a aside, Hannaford 'owns' Kash & Karry/Sweetbay in the Tampa /sarasota/Ft Meyers area. I can get my 'Hannaford' products without going to Maine. :)

JimS

powersbt

I have seen no indication that they are planning to go to Connecticut. Their "hotspots" right now are Downstate NY, and Massachusetts. They did throw me into a loop though by purchasing 3 Former Tops stores in the Utica NY area.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
I wonder if Hannaford will compete in Connecticut.  I doubt they will open a store in Connecticut.
     As a aside, Hannaford 'owns' Kash & Karry/Sweetbay in the Tampa /sarasota/Ft Meyers area. I can get my 'Hannaford' products without going to Maine. :)

JimS

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
I have seen no indication that they are planning to go to Connecticut. Their "hotspots" right now are Downstate NY, and Massachusetts. They did throw me into a loop though by purchasing 3 Former Tops stores in the Utica NY area.

JimS

I saw a hannaford in new hartford which is near utica.

here is the hannaford in new hartford

d_fife

JimS

I doubt hannaford will have ones in ct, but then again price chopper entered there. and stop and shop controls a lot of CT, or unless hannaford buys out a smaller grocery chain in CT.

here is the sign for the one in new hartford

powersbt

This is my store in fact. When was this photo taken??

JimS

powersbt

I hope you were riding Shotgun when you were taking that photo, because photographing and driving don't mix.

d_fife

I hope you were riding Shotgun when you were taking that photo, because photographing and driving don't mix.

well I can drive easily because I can have my hand on the wheel while photographing that with one hand. I have a good judge of being able to do that.

but never mind that, back to hannaford.

How many more TOps are becoming hannaford and which ones?

the smallest Hannaford I have ever seen is in waldoboro maine. It was very small. new hannafords planned or may come to NH are in alton nh, kingston nh.  and one had been planned in tewksbury mass. I wonder which hannafords where sun foods at one time.

powersbt

well I can drive easily because I can have my hand on the wheel while photographing that with one hand. I have a good judge of being able to do that.  
Well, that certainly explains a lot. Scary Stuff. Hope you have a good judge who'll understand when you wreck up with a camera in your hand while driving.

but never mind that, back to hannaford.

How many more TOps are becoming hannaford and which ones?

3 Tops are becoming Hannafords:
Kellogg Rd. Washington Mills
Mohawk St. Utica
Meadow St. Clinton

There is a 4th one in Rome that was picked up by P&C. This one has been open for a while now.

d_fife

I took this store March 22, 2006.  Utica is as far west as hannafords go. I still wonder why HAnnaford sold their stores in northern maine.,

JimS

powersbt

The Clinton Store is now the furthest West.

I took this store March 22, 2006.  Utica is as far west as hannafords go. I still wonder why HAnnaford sold their stores in northern maine.,

JimS

Zayre88

the smallest Hannaford I have ever seen is in waldoboro maine. It was very small. new hannafords planned or may come to NH are in alton nh, kingston nh.  and one had been planned in tewksbury mass. I wonder which hannafords where sun foods at one time.

I never went into the Hannaford in Madison,ME but it's the smallest i've ever seen.  It a small building that does not have the shape of a supermarket or a retail store.  It looks like a big garage with the sign Hannaford...

d_fife

here is the hannaford in madison maine

d_fife

more madison one

d_fife

more madison one

hannaford sign in madison

d_fife

here is the old shop 'n save in skowhegan that moved in like 1995 or 1996 or 1997 near wal-mart and was 28,000 sq.ft.