Newberrys

Started by df559, May 29, 2005, 03:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

df559

I know this was part of YDC along with McCrory's, TG&Y, etc. but I took these pictures I thought you guys would like:

Entryway to old Newberry's

df559

Back of the store:

Caldor1999

wwo that store looks liek it has been closed for a long time any idea on when they went bust:question:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

df559

Sometime in the early 1990's, when the rest of YDC (York Distribution Company) went out of business. This store was open until the end of the J.J. Newberry chain.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by df559
Sometime in the early 1990's, when the rest of YDC (York Distribution Company) went out of business. This store was open until the end of the J.J. Newberry chain.

the chain went out of business in 1997 I think. they closed stores in early 1992. I had one in my town: in PLYMOUTH NEW HAMPSHIRE. There was one in Franklin. Years before one in Portsmouth nh closed. I saw the remains of it years ago.

d_fife

this Blooms department store was JJ newbury's in downtown LAconia. J.J. Newbury's tehre closed late winter/early Spring 1997. Blooms replaced it in 1998. Near it to the left is the old Laconia theater

J.J. NEwbury's was a chain like WOolworths that was owned by MCory company.

df559

Here is the logo left in the doorway of the old location here in Fresno, Ca. They had a really cool neon sign on the front of the building that was this same logo. Obviously, that sign is gone.

df559

What was around back of the old Newberry's location:

BillyGr

This store is in Hudson, right on Warren Street just above 6th.

AS you can see it still has it's traditional red name stripe, although with a different name.  This store closed quite a few years ago, before the rest of the chain.  It had a counter for eating and a basement level, both of which closed before the rest of the store.  I think it was a dollar store type store for a while (may have been run by Newberry/McCrory) then, as has so much of the city it turned into an antiques store.

StarSage

There was a Newberry's on Denison Parkway in Corning, New York back in the early 80's. Woolworth's was just a block or two away. When Newberry's closed this location the building remained vacant for years until the City of Corning converted it into municipal office space.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is mcCory in holbrook new york

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1140393386&subNum=10204000149

whats G & G mcory?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
whats G & G mcory?

I believe this meant G&G and McCrory - both of which (along with many others mentioned above like Newberry's, TG&Y etc. etc.) were eventually a part of one company (YDC) - all of the stores were similar (5 and 10 type), had started out as separate chains and eventually merged, probably to keep from going out of business (since they were in different areas in many cases, basically trying to create one larger store under many names).

Anonymous

G+G is a teen girls clothing & accessories store... no connection with McCrory... still in operation in many malls... and still open in that one in Holbrook.  That is a VERY dated small mall.  The McCrory is now a Tuesday Morning store.

BillyGr

This store is in Saugerties (on Route 32 - which is also Main Street at that point) - the store is used as an antique store but has left the sign on the building.

d_fife

the j.j. newbury's in my town plymouth nh closed in early 1992 with franklin nh. my dad told me the one in my town had fish tank aquariums and was higher quaility and they had a down stairs and they closed the downstairs 25 years ago and it was getting junky then. I remember newbury's in my town being junky. I was about 9 when it closed. it is now divied into campus bookstore, a gift store and a pizzeria.

BillyGr

Stumbled over this one on the way through town - it's on Route 7 (Main Street) right in the middle of town.

As you can (hopefully) see, they now call it Newberry Square and it has multiple smaller shops in it.

d_fife

AS of may 21, 2006. HERE IS THE former J.J. NEWBURY BUILDING IN MARS MILL MAINE (WHICH IS ON RT.1 in between presque isle and houlton maine and 2.5 hours north of bangor!!!!). NOTICE A BUILDING IS USING THE BUILDING, BUT DID NOT CHANGE THE OUTSIDE!!! THIS IS A RARE THING!!!!

BillyGr

This store is in downtown Newark, Delaware - it looks more like a Newberry than Woolworth, but it is kind of hard to tell.

It still operates as a 5 and 10, though about 1/2 the store is UofDelaware items, but the back portion still looks more like an old 5&10.

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by df559
Here is the logo left in the doorway of the old location here in Fresno, Ca. They had a really cool neon sign on the front of the building that was this same logo. Obviously, that sign is gone.

I remember that after our Newberry's store here in Ogdensburg was rebuilt, it had a neon sign on the front just like this.

mikey7290

Here is the original Newberry's store in Downtown Ogdensburg, located at 212-218 Ford Street.  This store was opened in 1922 and there was once a Triangle Shoes to the left of it.  When they moved out, the Newberry's store expanded into their old space.  The store was destroyed by fire in 1956 and rebuilt.  A new, larger, modern store was opened on the site in 1958.  Unfortunately, Urban Renewal took most of downtown and replaced it with a mall in the 1970's.  Traffic declined so much it forced Newberry's out of business here in Ogdensburg.  The store closed for good on January 31, 1980.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
This store is in Saugerties (on Route 32 - which is also Main Street at that point) - the store is used as an antique store but has left the sign on the building.

2009 and the Newberry's remains downtown in Saugertise, NY. Here's a picture of the main entrance to the store.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

The former J.J. Newberry's downtown in Laconia, NH.

gu4ever

I shopped at this store back in the early 90's. This picture is of the interior you can see the main selling floor and the second floor balcony area.

gu4ever

This picture was taken from the window on the right side of the building. You can see the luncheon counter to the right and part of the original built in woodwork from the old service counter wall to the left.
In the far left of this picture you can see the windows, notice the wall area, a section of it is boxed out. That boxed out area was another set of entry doors at one time years ago.

gu4ever

This is a picture of a picture that was hanging in the window of the Laconia, NH store during it's grand opening.
I'm not sure were this photo came from other then it was hanging there to show what the store originally looked like when the building was occupied.
The store certainly was a beauty in it's day!!

videogamer75

There was one in Hammonton, NJ (I saw a pic of it in an Arcadia Publishing book about the town at Walgreens), I don't know when it closed, but it opened in the 50's. It's now subdivided between an ice cream shop called Little Scoops and another store. There were probably more in other South Jersey towns, not sure if there was one in mine.

shore72

I snapped this sometime in the mid/late 90s. This was at the corner of Market & Second Street in Pocomoke City, MD. I looked it up on Google streetview and it looks to be a vacant lot now. I don't recall ever shopping at one-maybe the only other I've seen was on Virginia's eastern shore. I think there may have been one there in Cape Charles, but I'm not sure. (actually, I thought this photo might have been from there but a little research proved me wrong.)

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by shore72
I snapped this sometime in the mid/late 90s. This was at the corner of Market & Second Street in Pocomoke City, MD. I looked it up on Google streetview and it looks to be a vacant lot now. I don't recall ever shopping at one-maybe the only other I've seen was on Virginia's eastern shore. I think there may have been one there in Cape Charles, but I'm not sure. (actually, I thought this photo might have been from there but a little research proved me wrong.)

That's a fantastic photo!!
I know when I shopped at Newberry's prior to it closing up here they were pretty nasty. The building was old and falling apart and the store dirty and disorganized. Of course back in the day it was an amazing department store!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
This is a picture of a picture that was hanging in the window of the Laconia, NH store during it's grand opening.
I'm not sure were this photo came from other then it was hanging there to show what the store originally looked like when the building was occupied.
The store certainly was a beauty in it's day!!

I remember going to the store it closed in 1997 and was really really junky in its last several years. REally really junky! it became Blooms then that closed