Westfarms

Started by TRU7536, December 19, 2005, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdubs

We went to WestFarms a few weeks ago. I hadn't been there in years. It sure did surprise me to see so few vacant spots. Compared to other malls throughout the state, which have turned into skeletons of what they once were, WestFarms seems to be thriving.

ynkeesfn82

TRU7536

Lucky Brand, David's Tea, Vans are all open. The North Face is set to open this summer and VS remodel will be done this summer as well. Kay jewelers is also moving 4 steps over to the former Lids and Johnson & Murphy location. I went this morning and the former Gilly Hicks location on the upper level next to Pennys has construction going on and it looks like Foot Locker is relocating to this place since its bigger.

TRU7536

The North Face opened this week, Kay's is open in their new location in the former Lids/Johnson Murphy location which was steps from their former store. Victoria Secret also reopened in their new remodeled store and Michaels Jewelers is actually moving into the former Kay's location which is right across from their current location. Foot locker moved upstairs next to Pennys with that new concept store House of Hoops store next to it. 

Pandora is currently closed as they remodel and reopen in September and found out a new clothing store Hanna Andersson will open in the fall. I think they will open between Tablots and Free People, their use be vending machines in that vacant location and now they have that current white cover up that's pulled out to redo the store front.

This will need to 5 empty store fronts, but with the holidays coming up, we all know some calendar store will take one spot up and Parade of Novelties Sports already moved into the former Foot Locker downstairs. Its a seasonal store so I don't count it as a full lease.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on August 08, 2015, 02:30:42 PM
This will need to 5 empty store fronts, but with the holidays coming up, we all know some calendar store will take one spot up and Parade of Novelties Sports already moved into the former Foot Locker downstairs. Its a seasonal store so I don't count it as a full lease.

I wouldn't shop at that sports novelties place if it was the last place on planet earth to buy sports memorabilia. They have a permanent store at Westfield Meriden and I was treated very rudely.

Chuck E. Cheese

I went there today and took some photos.
I know The Caldor Rainbow/Nick had posted a promotional postcard from the 1970s of it, and his 2006 recreation of it, showing the removed fountain. I decided to re-re create it because they've changed it up a bit..
(I resized the photos for comparison)
Original - 1970s:

Re-creation - 2006:

Re-Re-Creation - 2016:

I'll be posting more photos soon.

busman_49

Great then & now comparison!

Chuck E. Cheese

giantsfan2016

I explored the mall while my Mom shopped at Penney's. The mall made me feel as uncomfortable as a whore in church. Why? It's a mall geared towards the upscale crowd - something my Mom and I are not. Was not impressed. Not even with the Lego Store or the Disney Store.

JJBers

I took some photos of the Westfarms mall today. It's very nice and pretty upscale, but was more crowded thanks to the unofficial kick-off of the Christmas season.
Photos.
Main entrance:

Westfarms Mall by JJBers, on Flickr
Lord & Taylor

Lord&Taylor (Westfarms Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr
JCPenney

JCPenney (Westfarms Mall) by JJBers, on Flickr

My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Fellow board member Geno and I went to Westfarms yesterday.

Notes: Burger King has closed. Bath and Body Works is building a new store. There is a new lounge area "powered" by NBC Connecticut where you can sit and watch NBC Connecticut. CT Live a new lifestyle show airing on NBC Connecticut films its live segments at the mall. Ciannabon is a new additiom to the mall. It has a Carvel with it.

AmesNewington

2019 UPDATE: Even Westfarms is not immune to store closings. I walk the mall often and while they are still a popular, successful mall, they have lost a few stores since the holidays.

The following stores have already closed or will close since the beginning of the year:

Abercrombie and Fitch (Closed; Abercrombie Kids is still operating on lower level)
Trollbeads (Closed)
Gymboree (in the process of closing along with the entire chain)
The Candy Shoppe (moved a few times over its run in the mall but disappeared completely)
True Religion Jeans (just noticed closing signs on the windows today)

In addition to that, several storefronts are still vacant covered by temporary white walls. Yet, there are five "popup" type stores that could very well relocate to a permanent space if they wished to. They are Starbucks, Amazon Popup, Peloton, Nespresso and Xfinity (took over the former Customer Service Desk). There are also no shortage of smaller kiosks on the first floor of the mall. Westfarms also attracts several temporary stores during the holiday season such as a Christmas decoration store, Harry and David, See's Candy and a few others, which occupy vacant space, and at the end of the holidays, leave the mall. I'm sure Westfarms will continue to attract new stores that you won't find elsewhere in the state. Examples of those include Kate Spade, Vineyard Vines and Texas De Brazil in 2018.

A final note, JCPenney after many years, replaced the letters in the long time outdoor building signage (3 signs in total) to new red letters. It looks as if they kept the original letter frames in tact. The signs inside the mall are were not changed. The interior looks good. Hoping they keep this store open.

JimSawhill

Is the two icons - the alphabet tower and the sliding ball - gone? Just wondering...

M.R.CALDOR

I've gone to Westfarms twice this week and it truly is my favorite and arguably the best mall in Connecticut, with very little vacancies, great variety of businesses and up to date. I love Sbarro and my mother has turned me on to Bath & Body Works. When I went to the Lego Store, I was amazed at how far Legos have come in 27 years, since I was a kid and how expensive they can get ($500 for the Disney castle!!!!). Lord & Taylor is still vacant and is the only vacant anchor here. I took some pics of L&T on my visit yesterday. Not sure what will go in here, maybe a Boscov's if they get tired of NAMDAR's frickin stuff in Meriden.

M.R.CALDOR

Quote from: JimSawhill on August 17, 2019, 04:39:47 PMIs the two icons - the alphabet tower and the sliding ball - gone? Just wondering...

The Alphabet Tower is still there!!!!

AmesNewington

The Manchester Scoop, a local retail/business news outlet, which heavily focuses on economic development updates in the Buckland Hills area as well as Vernon, CT, ventured out of their circle to Westfarms. According to the article, several new businesses are coming to Westfarms. These additions can very well just about fully occupy the sub spaces. I found interesting the fact that several retailers that are also currently in the Meriden Mall are coming to Westfarms, such as Torrid, Lids, Zumiez, Finish Line and Franseca's (this one had already closed). I am wondering if the new Westfarms locations are additions to the retailer's rosters or replacements. It wouldn't surprise me if they all exited Meriden Mall. That would collapse that mall.

As for Lord and Taylor, they were supposed to put a co-working space type thing there, but I haven't heard anything about that. I would think a Primark store would fit there, at least on one floor. Westfarms has proved to sustain retail-only. Boscov's may not fit the demographics here. Maybe in the old Sears at Buckland Hills in Manchester. 

Link to the story:
http://www.theconnecticutscoop.com/all-posts/westfarms-business-brief-may-2022

M.R.CALDOR

Quote from: AmesNewington on May 11, 2022, 04:49:57 AMThe Manchester Scoop, a local retail/business news outlet, which heavily focuses on economic development updates in the Buckland Hills area as well as Vernon, CT, ventured out of their circle to Westfarms. According to the article, several new businesses are coming to Westfarms. These additions can very well just about fully occupy the sub spaces. I found interesting the fact that several retailers that are also currently in the Meriden Mall are coming to Westfarms, such as Torrid, Lids, Zumiez, Finish Line and Franseca's (this one had already closed). I am wondering if the new Westfarms locations are additions to the retailer's rosters or replacements. It wouldn't surprise me if they all exited Meriden Mall. That would collapse that mall.

As for Lord and Taylor, they were supposed to put a co-working space type thing there, but I haven't heard anything about that. I would think a Primark store would fit there, at least on one floor. Westfarms has proved to sustain retail-only. Boscov's may not fit the demographics here. Maybe in the old Sears at Buckland Hills in Manchester. 

Link to the story:

But Boscov's is retail, I think if they're smart they'll move to Westfarms.

M.R.CALDOR

Here are some more photos of the vacant Lord & Taylor, this is the second floor with the empty jewelry counters, brand labels and a few other nifty items still there. I dig the old CRT Tube TV on the wheelie cart, takes me right back to middle school science class.

AmesNewington

Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on May 11, 2022, 11:24:00 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on May 11, 2022, 04:49:57 AMThe Manchester Scoop, a local retail/business news outlet, which heavily focuses on economic development updates in the Buckland Hills area as well as Vernon, CT, ventured out of their circle to Westfarms. According to the article, several new businesses are coming to Westfarms. These additions can very well just about fully occupy the sub spaces. I found interesting the fact that several retailers that are also currently in the Meriden Mall are coming to Westfarms, such as Torrid, Lids, Zumiez, Finish Line and Franseca's (this one had already closed). I am wondering if the new Westfarms locations are additions to the retailer's rosters or replacements. It wouldn't surprise me if they all exited Meriden Mall. That would collapse that mall.

Link to the story:

But Boscov's is retail, I think if they're smart they'll move to Westfarms.

They are retail, but I'm not sure if they would fit the demographic of Westfarms. I would love it if they opened there, but just not sure that would mesh with their trendy image. I hope I am wrong.

Everything Community

M.R.CALDOR

Quote from: Everything Community on May 20, 2022, 11:00:15 PMWestfarms announced Monday that a premium furniture store and tea shop will be among the mall's new retail tenants.

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/new-retail-stores-to-open-at-westfarms-renovations-nearly-finished

They already have a tea shop though, The Green Teahouse.

AmesNewington

Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on May 23, 2022, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: Everything Community on May 20, 2022, 11:00:15 PMWestfarms announced Monday that a premium furniture store and tea shop will be among the mall's new retail tenants.

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/new-retail-stores-to-open-at-westfarms-renovations-nearly-finished

They already have a tea shop though, The Green Teahouse.

They used to have two tea shops open at the same time at Westfarms. David's Teas and Green Teahouse co-existed for a while (Teavana before Green Teahouse for years prior to that).