Westfarms

Started by TRU7536, December 19, 2005, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

West Farms mall is CT premeire shopping mall. It was built in the 1970's, i beleive 1972. It turned upscale in 1997, when Norstrom came in. It department stores are: Nordstrom, Lord-Taylor, Filinies, and jcpenny's. it also has 160 stores in it. i need to go take pics of this mall.

d_fife

I heard that KB toys closed!! and this was the first nordstrom in new england.

dayville81

This mall has a Rainforest Cafe.  It's a really neat restaurant with excellent atmosphere and a unique gift shop. It's near Filene's Main Store on the lower level. It tends to be quite busy so get there early so you dont have to wait. Plus they have unique drinks and an excellent bar/loungue area.

XISMZERO

Took a ride to my childhood mall after closing, Westfarms located between Farmington and West Hartford.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

These structures have been inside the mall since it opened in the early 1970's. The mall has come a long way since then.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The Lord & Taylor corridor. L&T has been here since the mall opened and has changed very little.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

There used to be a fountain here. Around the later 1990s, the fountain was removed for a lobby-style seating area. The fountain was truly memorable, which is why I was disappointed when they removed it.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The Mall's west-wing infamous rolling ball structure! Like the Alphabet tower, this structure has been here since the mall opened. This Filene's in still there, now owned by Macy's and was once a G.Fox.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The former Sage-Allen space was taken over by Filene's when they expanded their stores. Now, this store is owned by Macy's but still sports the "Filene's" logo. Before Macy's takeover, this was the Men's and Furniture store.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

One of Westfarms newer eating places, this mall never had anything of a food court (although one was rumored around the early 1990s/the Westfarms expansion project). This might've been home to the amazing A&W Restaurant in the early 1990s.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

I hate Westfarms. I always have. I'd much rather go to Meriden Square or Brass Mill.

XISMZERO

Best mall in Connecticut probably goes to Buckland Hills in Manchester or Danbury Fair in Danbury. I liked Westfarms before they expanded with the Nordstrom wing since it was the mall I grew up in. For years now I think of it as feeling too upscale. Meriden Square (as I remember it) I like to visit every month or so when I'm bored or have a day off (and feeling like galavanting). I don't like Brass Mill; it's a nice mall but nothing special surrounded by a lousy area which attracts too many unsavory people. I'd go the extra 25-30 minutes to get to Danbury.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Best mall in Connecticut probably goes to Buckland Hills in Manchester or Danbury Fair in Danbury. I liked Westfarms before they expanded with the Nordstrom wing since it was the mall I grew up in. For years now I think of it as feeling too upscale. Meriden Square (as I remember it) I like to visit every month or so when I'm bored or have a day off (and feeling like galavanting). I don't like Brass Mill; it's a nice mall but nothing special surrounded by a lousy area which attracts too many unsavory people. I'd go the extra 25-30 minutes to get to Danbury. [/quote

Idd have to say out of all the malls ive been to the danbury is one of the best lioek many malls it expaned with macys and that wing in 1987 Lord & Taylor and that wing in 1991 and JC Penny and taht wing in 1988
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Marc82

Speaking of the Danbury Fair Mall, the last time I went to the Danbury Mall - 98 or 99 the mall seemed to be partially dying. A lot of fly-by-night operations were operating in there. Has that changed? The only thing I liked about the mall was The Warner Brothers Studio Store and the WNET/Thirteen Store of Knowledge.

Although I like the fact that Buckland Hills added a Barnes & Noble, I liked the mall better before the remodel they did a couple years back.

And if you like books, you'll be happy to know that Barnes & Noble is opening at the Meriden Square this fall.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Speaking of the Danbury Fair Mall, the last time I went to the Danbury Mall - 98 or 99 the mall seemed to be partially dying. A lot of fly-by-night operations were operating in there. Has that changed? The only thing I liked about the mall was The Warner Brothers Studio Store and the WNET/Thirteen Store of Knowledge.

Although I like the fact that Buckland Hills added a Barnes & Noble, I liked the mall better before the remodel they did a couple years back.

And if you like books, you'll be happy to know that Barnes & Noble is opening at the Meriden Square this fall.

teh danbury mall i s knowwere near dyeing r u kidding me and it never was even in 1998 1999 the only thing that has chaged is they adde d a few new stores and filene's closed
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

Even if you don't like shopping at Westfarms, this is by far the swankest mall in Connecticut architecturally. It's one of the few, famed Taubman malls built in the 1970's. Probably a junior compared to some of it's "Ridge" cousins Eastridge, Southridge, Northridge (none of which still owned by Taubman today).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Center court, facing Macy's. The grooved ceilings are really the staple of design at Westfarms. The developers' objective, like its other malls, was to have shoppers see the opposite anchors of the mall from each end.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Center court. Seating is where the once wonderful fountain and stage used to be. Now it's mostly occupied by aerial seating.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Again, may the focal point be the ceilings and skylights here!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Was originally G. Fox. The tiled facade is the same but they repainted it a dark blue years ago. It was once brownish-caramel (and rather aged looking).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The infamous rolling ball has been here since 1974. They've removed a few "seating pits" once here over the years which now mainly exist around the Lord & Taylor and Nordstrom wings.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

I used to think, when I was a kid, what might happen if this ball detached and rolled down! It's a groovy structure!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

From the JCPenney wing you can see Macy's all the way on the other end!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
I used to think, when I was a kid, what might happen if this ball detached and rolled down!

Oh my god! I used to think the same thing!

QuoteIt's a groovy structure!
Come on man. Just becuase the stupid thing was built in the 70s doesn't mean you have to use 1970s era vocabulary. :D

XISMZERO

The Nordstrom wing was added in 1997. It's the only Nordstrom in the state of Connecticut.

Westfarms continues to be the classiest mall in Connecticut, trumping fellow Taubman mall (though equally impressive) Stamford Town Center.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Rayco7030

reminds me of the holyoke mall at ingleside ;)
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's