Main Menu

Peebles

Started by lad, March 19, 2005, 10:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on September 20, 2019, 02:14:51 PM
Im not sure if im understanding this.... They are converting all Stage owned stores to the Gordmans format or turning all Stage stores to Gordmans? stores?
My understanding is that they're converting all their banners to the Gordmans off-price format.

shore72

That's how I read it, that they'll eventually all be Gordman's. I found it interesting that the cost to switch over a store was pegged at around $40k, which sounds awful cheap. If that number is true, I can't blame them. My wife had gotten away from shopping at Peebles as she felt their products skewed too "senior". After being revamped a couple years ago her opinion has changed to "either too young or too old!"

We vacationed in southwest Texas recently & noted an old Stage store in Alpine & a Bealls in Presidio; small, older downtown stores in towns that are truly in the middle of nowhere. I have to wonder if they'll make the transition or just go away.

shore72

Peebles has been running upbeat ads on the radio promoting their "last Christmas sale ever!" We stopped in one this weekend and I can't argue with their method. The parking lot was packed, "store closing" signs out in force, the store has been "closing" for months now but inside it honestly doesn't look any different than the day before this was announced. Fully stocked, deep discounts, and busy. There was no word on when they actual changeover was coming.

BillyGr

They did finally close or rename all the stores to Gordmans - ours was open for maybe a month before the pandemic caused closings in March 2020.

At some point during that time, the company chose to go through bankruptcy and close all their stores completely, so I think ours had a longer time as Gordmans doing a going out of business sale than they did for their grand opening sale!