Main Menu

Topps

Started by storehistoryguy, December 18, 2005, 06:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

I swear, I thought there was a post for this, but I can't find it so heres one.

One in the 60's.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/page2.html

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
I swear, I thought there was a post for this, but I can't find it so heres one.

One in the 60's.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/page2.html

from what i believe they stayed around till 2002 i might be thinking of anoutehr chain though
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
from what i believe they stayed around till 2002 i might be thinking of anoutehr chain though

Oh, they went out long before then. I think in the late 70s or early 80s. They were kind of like a cross between Kings and K Mart.

Anonymous

Topps was a department store along the lines of Mamamoth Mart(sic) and JM Fields(owned by Food Fair Supermakets)

We had one in my old hometown of Middletown Ct next to a Food Fair Supermarket.

JimSawhill

Topps was in East Hartford next to a Food Mart. Between the two stores was a DONUT machine and Food Mart (before Waldbaum's bought it) used to carry COUSINS Bread (from Cousins Bakery).  The Shopping Center was next to the Coke plant. After Food Mart left it became an Finast then Edwards, while Topps became a mini mall -- with small stores owned by families, then the salvation armt thrift shore, then it was raized for an EXPANSION of the Coke plant.

Where was the Topps in Middletown??

Anonymous

The Topps in Middletown Ct was on Washington Street.  It opened in the summer of 1960 folllowed by Food Fair Supermarkets in May 1961.  It became a Kings Dept store in the mid 70's , then became a Food Mart supermarket in March 1983.

C. Fontaine

I would say the first link.  That is a super foodmart.  The second link, the Home Depot in that plaza is a former Ames.

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I would say the first link.  That is a super foodmart.  The second link, the Home Depot in that plaza is a former Ames.

Isn't the foodmart closed now??

Marc82

There's a Super Foodmart at 820 Washington Street in Middletown, CT. Is that the one ya'll is talking about?

Anonymous

Topps was the East Coast division of the West Coast based White Front Discount Department Stores.  All of the stores closed by 1973.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Anonymous on May 22, 2008, 12:37:21 AM
Topps was the East Coast division of the West Coast based White Front Discount Department Stores.  All of the stores closed by 1973.

Really, according to Pleasant Family Shopping, Topps bought White Front. At that site is the Photo of East Hartford Topps...