Korvettes

Started by storehistoryguy, December 18, 2005, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsons81

Even though I was born slightly too late, the closest Korvette's to my current house was in Southgate, MI, on Fort Street at the northeast corner of Pennsylvania Road. It was one of three stores in a strip mall, which also had a Chatham supermarket and a Sentry pharmacy. That strip mall was torn down shortly after Korvette's went out of business in 1980 and the lot sat vacant for well over 15 years until a Super Kmart (one of few still open today) opened on that site in 1998. I heard somewhere that sometime in early 1991, Meijer wanted to build on the strip mall site, but instead chose to erect a store on the recently-closed Fort George drive-in theater across the street.

JimSawhill

Korvette's would be one of the Stores I would love to save. It was a great store...

Hudsons81

An aerial view of the Southgate, MI Korvette's several years before it closed.

The same store sits abandoned in this 1991 view.

Ain't that ironic how the Super Kmart that replaced it will soon shut down permanently too?

retailfan

A super Kmart is closing  I know some they closed the grocery section

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on September 03, 2011, 10:12:41 AM
We had a few Korvettes out here in the Philadelphia area.  Here's a few of them:

• Roosevelt Boulevard and Welsh Road (Northeast Shopping Center) - This location has since been split into a Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, and smaller stores
  • King of Prussia Plaza - This stores has been torn down in 1980 and replaced by Sears and additional mall space
  • Springfield - This location became a Value City
  • Moorestown, NJ - This location became a Kmart
The Springfield, PA Korvettes/Value City is now a GIANT [PA] Food & Drugstore
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Here's some newly-discovered photos of the Southgate, MI Korvette's during demolition in 1992-93.