Korvettes

Started by storehistoryguy, December 18, 2005, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

I just noticed there wasn't a post for Korvettes so heres one. Lets start discussing. They were originally known as E.J. Korvettes.

Alington Va. around the late 60s.

http://www.wakefieldclassof1970.com/index/mn11222/pg15332

storehistoryguy

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Clearer pic of Lawrence, NY.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/page2.html

that kida looks like a jamesway :P
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Clearer pic of Lawrence, NY.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/page2.html

that kida looks like a jamesway :P

Funny! I thought that too! Probebly never was though.

Crawford

Never heard of this one either, was it a local chain?
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
Never heard of this one either, was it a local chain?
They weren't to popular.

storehistoryguy

Anonymous

The Korvetts in Hartford became the American Plaza (a reservation center for American Airlines). I remember that store!

beachgal26

I remember Korvettes fondly from the late 60's and early 70's in the Baltimore, MD area.  It was the first charge account that I ever had and my first purchase was neon pink shag carpeting for my bedroom.  (Am I dating myself or what?)  

It was a nice store for a long time and I remember that they had nice merchandise and a great music department where I spent alot of time and money whenever we went shopping.  I even remember going over to pick up a copy of the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack after seeing the movie in 1977.  

I think that they started to go downhill in the late 80's and my Dad told me that they were all closing the stores and what was left was just alot of junk laying around.  I do not recall when they officially closed since I was living in PA by then and they did not have the stores in my area.

Anybody else remember shopping or anything special that you bought at the store?

store215

I don't think they even made it into the 80's. I think they were gone by 1979.

BillyGr

Does anyone remember one in Northway Mall in Albany (Colonie) NY?

I heard something on the radio today and it was mentioned (along with Denby's - which was in Stuyvesant Plaza).

I'm guessing where Ward's wound up was where they were (as the building looked similar to the Lawrence photo below).

mikey1972

Way back in 1964, eight years before I was born, my Mom worked at a Korvettes store (I think it was in Nanuet).  Would anyone happen to have a picture of this store that they would post?  If so, I'd really like to see it, thanks.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972
Way back in 1964, eight years before I was born, my Mom worked at a Korvettes store (I think it was in Nanuet).  Would anyone happen to have a picture of this store that they would post?  If so, I'd really like to see it, thanks.

i dont think there was one there i can cheack for ya and see was it liek astreet store ???
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

mikey1972

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972

i dont think there was one there i can cheack for ya and see was it liek astreet store ???

I don't think it was a street store.  I think it was in a shopping center.  It was somewhere in that area.  Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.:D

shakethis1234

i think jamesway bought most of the stores because the ine in fulton ny became a jamesway

Zayre88

In the province of Quebec in Canada, there is a chain of discount stores called Korvette.  The chain started in 1958 and is in no way related to the U.S. Korvettes stores.  They operate 50 stores, mostly in small towns where there are no other large retailer.

http://www.korvette.ca/presentation.asp?lan=en&menuid=3

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
I remember Korvettes fondly from the late 60's and early 70's in the Baltimore, MD area.  It was the first charge account that I ever had and my first purchase was neon pink shag carpeting for my bedroom.  (Am I dating myself or what?)  

It was a nice store for a long time and I remember that they had nice merchandise and a great music department where I spent alot of time and money whenever we went shopping.  I even remember going over to pick up a copy of the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack after seeing the movie in 1977.  

I think that they started to go downhill in the late 80's and my Dad told me that they were all closing the stores and what was left was just alot of junk laying around.  I do not recall when they officially closed since I was living in PA by then and they did not have the stores in my area.

Anybody else remember shopping or anything special that you bought at the store?

beachgal:

Korvette's by the time of their closing was owned by a French corporation. EJ Korvette's had some great clothing for boys (my mom bought me from Korvette's in Hartford, an beige and burnt orange pinstripe shirt with a burnt orange tie. (it was a nice shirt, I still have the picture from picture day at school with me wearing it!)

Boy a pink shag carpeting!!!  

Jim

catnapped

Korvette's pretty much disappeared late in 1980.  Little known bit of information was that the company who owned Value City operated the stores (and supplied merchandise) towards the end.

That store in Lawrence NY (Long Island) was never a Jamesway.  To my knowledge, it was split up after Korvette's went under (I don't remember what into)

Zayre88

It turns out that the Canadian chain named Korvette took their name from the U.S. chain. 

A current officer said that the founder traveled to visit his sisted in New York and visited the E.J.Korvette stores.  He brought the idea back to Canada and wanted to name his chain Corvette but could not.   In the end they went for Korvette.  That brand name was not registered in Canada so the chain was founded in 1958 under the name Korvette Stores Limited.

Today that chain is still in business and operates 65 discount stores.

MikeRa

We had a few Korvettes out here in the Philadelphia area.  Here's a few of them:

• Roosevelt Boulevard and Welsh Road (Northeast Shopping Center) - This location has since been split into a Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, and smaller stores
  • King of Prussia Plaza - This stores has been torn down in 1980 and replaced by Sears and additional mall space
  • Springfield - This location became a Value City
  • Moorestown, NJ - This location became a Kmart

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

I think we make a big mistake in this forum fixating on the trappings of retail (buildings, decor, etc.) and forgetting the people who made these chains what they were (and are.) Case in point: Eugene Ferkauf, who devised an ingenious way to circumvent price-fixing laws, setting the stage for the discount retail revolution of '62.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/business/eugene-ferkauf-founder-of-e-j-korvette-chain-dies-at-91.html?_r=1

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on June 08, 2012, 09:33:14 AM
I think we make a big mistake in this forum fixating on the trappings of retail (buildings, decor, etc.) and forgetting the people who made these chains what they were (and are.) Case in point: Eugene Ferkauf, who devised an ingenious way to circumvent price-fixing laws, setting the stage for the discount retail revolution of '62.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/business/eugene-ferkauf-founder-of-e-j-korvette-chain-dies-at-91.html?_r=1

RIP Eugene... the world misses Korvette's!!

scottw73

Here's a picture of the Korvettes in the Trumbull Shopping Park, after they closed they became Reads and Macy's

zonemad96

Here is a picture of a korvettes box fan which I found in a youtube video of a "Abandoned Isolation Hospital" in new jersey

video which i found this in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZHY4_uWEv8