Danbury Fair Mall

Started by Caldor1999, December 18, 2005, 11:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

No pictures of the carousel?

Caldor1999

nice pics of the mall and they havent chnaged it since it opend and snice iev been going tehre but form what i know certan parts of thhe mall and ancores opend in diffrentb years like the mall did open in 1986 but only sears and filenes were teh frist 2 ancores open there then came macys and that wing in 1987 and JC Pennys wing in 1988 and Lord & Taylors wing in 1991 i also think the parking grage was added in 1988 with JC Penny also thats when the danbury square open up too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

You've got the history down there, Caldor1999. For as far back as I can remember, TJ Cinnamons has been there so I assumed it's been there since the beginning. It still smells amazing within a good 50 feet of the parcel :)

As for the Carousel, I don't know why I didn't take pics of it. That is probably the staple of the mall since it was built upon the Danbury Fair (which ceased in 1981) which featured the carousel. The food court is usually crowded as ever. I'm usually back at that mall every month or so.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
You've got the history down there, Caldor1999. For as far back as I can remember, TJ Cinnamons has been there so I assumed it's been there since the beginning. It still smells amazing within a good 50 feet of the parcel :)

As for the Carousel, I don't know why I didn't take pics of it. That is probably the staple of the mall since it was built upon the Danbury Fair (which ceased in 1981) which featured the carousel. The food court is usually crowded as ever. I'm usually back at that mall every month or so.
'

ive ben going there evrey since i was a baby the ealrst i can rememebr going to that mall is like in 1994 1995 i ran into the fountan there when i was 2 years old lol but that was in liek 1990 also the mall started constuction in 1984 idk why the whole malljust didnet open in 1986 insted of makeing it Peace buy peace like adding more space in 1987 1988 and 1991 mean while i wonder what will go into teh old filenes space somone told me tagret was thinking about going in tehr esometime in 2006 or 2007 but i doubt it will happen but i know tagrte will do well there or i think a movie theater would go well there or maby a nordstrom or a bloomingdales i dont see why fedraited just dident put a blooomingdales there
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

Danbury isn't a big enough market to secure a Bloomingdale's. It seems to me they only put them in very high populated markets.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Danbury isn't a big enough market to secure a Bloomingdale's. It seems to me they only put them in very high populated markets.

no this mall get s alot of costmers from ny as well as ct milions of people shop hear evreyday its not just people from danbury who come to that mall people from evreywere pretty much do so a bloomingdales would fit well there or even a nordstrom
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Sad, sad news for the Danbury Fair Mall. It appears a grandiose renovation plan is in the works. I, of course, am very saddened - this mall has not received a renovation since it opened.

http://www.fairfieldcbj.com/archive/103006/1030060005.php
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

Sad, sad news for the Danbury Fair Mall. It appears a grandiose renovation plan is in the works. I, of course, am very saddened - this mall has not received a renovation since it opened.

http://www.fairfieldcbj.com/archive/103006/1030060005.php

i must say thy emall dose not look so old and has staned teh test of time and i dont think it really need a rentvation
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Here's some pictures from the mall today. If you can't tell already, I absolutely love this mall. In my opinion, best mall in Connecticut. Here's the road sign, presumably from before the mall was even built as part of the original Danbury Fair.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Macy's. An original anchor, intended to be a prototype store. Here's the Men's floor entrance.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The grand one-corridor Danbury Fair Mall.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The wonderful Christmas display 2006; the last year in this style?
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Danbury Fair Mall elevator at the center court. This is staying in lieu of the redevelopment.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Filene's; became vacant after the Federated buyout and rebrand of Macy's. This mall had one already, so this store closed. Macerich, owner of the mall, has no plans for the new parcel. It might remain vacant for a later while especially if they're renovating the mall soon.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

I think it really sucks they're going to get rid of the fountain. They're pulling a Westfarms by doing that.  It's too bad I have no way of getting down to the mall before they begin renovating it. I mentioned to my best friend one time I wanted us to go to the Danbury Mall and he said he didn't want to drive that far, but another time he said we may go to Vermont or New Hampshire for a couple hours, probably in the spring. (Stupid MOBBOY that he is).

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
I think it really sucks they're going to get rid of the fountain. They're pulling a Westfarms by doing that.  It's too bad I have no way of getting down to the mall before they begin renovating it. I mentioned to my best friend one time I wanted us to go to the Danbury Mall and he said he didn't want to drive that far, but another time he said we may go to Vermont or New Hampshire for a couple hours, probably in the spring. (Stupid MOBBOY that he is).

ARE THEY REALLY GETTING RID OF THE FOUNTAIN. THAT IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82

ARE THEY REALLY GETTING RID OF THE FOUNTAIN. THAT IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they always seem to do that when they rentvate the mall i really think filenss shoudl be replaced with a nordstrom or a bloomingdales or maby a bon ton or a boscoves or some outehr dept store maby a target even thats the only thing i can see fitting in that mall no outehr store woukld work maby a movie theater would though
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

It's sad I know but fountains in malls today are a thing of the past. The trend is favoring atmospheres where it will keep people sitting and at malls longer for obvious reasons. I feel the same way about fountains in malls; they definitely create a more plush atmosphere amongst the cacaphony of typical mall noise and musak.

If any of you have ever been to Walt Disney World, there used to be a huge fountain in the middle of the pavillion at Epcot / The Land. It was wonderful and relaxing, apart from the fact most people were diverted from it due to more compelling attractions. When they remodeled it (The Land was a relic of the mid-1980s), they removed the fountain for double the amount of seating. I think I'd rather hear roaring waters over roaring screaming children and people's voices on high.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

webcookie

They're removing Danbury's fountain? JEEZ!! I'm glad I got pictures of it last time I went. I agree that they should replace Filenes with a Nordstrom or Bloomingdales. Danbury is definately a well-off enough area to do it.

As far as the fountain in THE LAND, they auctioned off the top of it on Ebay and I'm so mad I didn't buy it. There's still not enough seating and now it's even more crowded. They completely destroyed THE LAND. I really love Soarin', but I don't think they needed to destroy THE LAND to put it in. I have a bunch of pictures from before the rehab. I like to think back on happier times.
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

Caldor1999

hears a pic of the rentvation that i saved from that sight its not that bad but eh idk the mall dose not look so dated outher then jc penny which was complated barley 2 years after the mall opened
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by webcookie
They're removing Danbury's fountain? JEEZ!! I'm glad I got pictures of it last time I went. I agree that they should replace Filenes with a Nordstrom or Bloomingdales. Danbury is definately a well-off enough area to do it.

As far as the fountain in THE LAND, they auctioned off the top of it on Ebay and I'm so mad I didn't buy it. There's still not enough seating and now it's even more crowded. They completely destroyed THE LAND. I really love Soarin', but I don't think they needed to destroy THE LAND to put it in. I have a bunch of pictures from before the rehab. I like to think back on happier times.

Agreed on all points The Land, webcookie.

I don't think either store would be essential here; Nordstrom is just too upscale, Bloomingdale's could be a good idea because it doesn't have any other places in Connecticut but again, too upscale. I'm thinking more on the lines of having a Target or maybe a Best Buy inside. There's two floors to fill, so a Borders on bottom, Target on top, no? Borders would blend fluidly right next to the new, relaxation-promoting center court.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by webcookie

Agreed on all points The Land, webcookie.

I don't think either store would be essential here; Nordstrom is just too upscale, Bloomingdale's could be a good idea because it doesn't have any other places in Connecticut but again, too upscale. I'm thinking more on the lines of having a Target or maybe a Best Buy inside. There's two floors to fill, so a Borders on bottom, Target on top, no? Borders would blend fluidly right next to the new, relaxation-promoting center court.
\

yes but lord & taylor is an upscal store so a bloomingdales or a nordstrom would fit maby a bosscoves they dont hav e any store sin ct i believe best buy and borders would not og there they already have stores in danbury sae wit target
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Lord & Taylor is easily comparable today to Macy's. In it's time, L&T was considered to be much more of an upscale clothier but has since throughout the years degenerated (probably due to Federated buyout). Nordstrom's (who only has one store in CT) and Bloomingdales (none in CT) are still one notch up... the latter does well in more high-income, fashionable metropolitan areas (like Boston). Boscov's definitely won't make it here; they're a New York-based store, right?

Danbury Fair Mall could benefit from having sensible anchors, alternatives to yet another clothing store like Borders (something that mall could use, especially with the nearby Barnes & Noble) and what I'd really adore inside the mall; a Target. Heck, throwing Borders inside malls in CT have become a (Westfield) trend; just look at Westfield's Meriden and Connecticut Post Milford.

Hopefully, it won't be what we all fear that craps all over most malls; Dick's! Unfortunately, Macerich malls seems to favor Dick's...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

Lord & Taylor is easily comparable today to Macy's. In it's time, L&T was considered to be much more of an upscale clothier but has since throughout the years degenerated (probably due to Federated buyout). Nordstrom's (who only has one store in CT) and Bloomingdales (none in CT) are still one notch up... the latter does well in more high-income, fashionable metropolitan areas (like Boston). Boscov's definitely won't make it here; they're a New York-based store, right?

Danbury Fair Mall could benefit from having sensible anchors, alternatives to yet another clothing store like Borders (something that mall could use, especially with the nearby Barnes & Noble) and what I'd really adore inside the mall; a Target. Heck, throwing Borders inside malls in CT have become a (Westfield) trend; just look at Westfield's Meriden and Connecticut Post Milford.

Hopefully, it won't be what we all fear that craps all over most malls; Dick's! Unfortunately, Macerich malls seems to favor Dick's...

danbury has alot of big box stores not t far from the mall and Boscov's isent just a ny based chain the have stores in pa nj and such so that would make a good fit and Lord & taylor isent like macys there a little more upscal so a bloomingdales or a nordstrom would fit
Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

QuoteBoscov's definitely won't make it here; they're a New York-based store, right?

Actually, PA based.

KyleRF

Why shouldn't Boscov's be put at this location? They have no stores in the area, the closest is Nanuet, which is far away, and they have no stores in Connecticut.

I would say Nordstrom fits best here though.

Caldor1999

i dont see why u people get so ehh when i ant a dept store to go in there thats what the danbury mall is about a big box store would look weird in that mall sure i can picture target or kohls going in there but there is alot of big box store sin danbury liek danbury has best buy they have borders they have target wal mart kohls ect ect
Caldor Forever!

amesman

Ok, here's the deal. Nordstrom and Bloomingdales - maybe. It's not completely out of the water, although it is doubtful. Both are high end retailers, and they probably wouldn't be a good fit. But again who knows. As for Lord and Taylor, they are not as upscale as they once were, as XISMZERO pointed out, and he's right. Since being owned by the May Company, and others, it is just another Macy's, Filene's, Kaufmann's, whatever. Just a different name is all. Besides, they already have a location in the mall, so there's no point in arguing over that aspect.

Boscov's would be a good fit. They're not upscale by any means, but they are a good contender in the retail department store mix. And, a Borders, Best Buy, and/or Target would work well in this mall. Buty, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales are not likely canidates.

Caldor1999

only resin why i donr see broders and target and best buy going in there is because danbury already has thoughs stores i could only see a dept store filling the old filens space i think target would work same with boscoves and lord and taylor is diffrent from macys with what they sell i also find them a lil more pricer then macys which is why i see them as an upsacl store thats why a bloomingdales or a nordstrom would fit maby they could split it in half witha target and a filenes basment
Caldor Forever!