wiseguy93

Cross Pointe Marketplace

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

Mobil

Food Lion used to have stores in the Houston area. They entered the market in 1992, closed some stores in 1994, and closed all their area stores in 1997. The one that was near me is now a store called Food Town.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Food Lion used to have stores in the Houston area. They entered the market in 1992, closed some stores in 1994, and closed all their area stores in 1997. The one that was near me is now a store called Food Town.

Which is kind of ironic (if you read the history of Food Lion, when they started the chain, it was called Food Town - the reason for the name change was that they wanted to expand and some areas already had Food Town, so they wouldn't be able to use the name there).  
One reason for the new name - they only had to buy 2 new letters (the L and i - just move the o in Town over next to the n - this being when the stores used signs that were individual letters).

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil

Which is kind of ironic (if you read the history of Food Lion, when they started the chain, it was called Food Town - the reason for the name change was that they wanted to expand and some areas already had Food Town, so they wouldn't be able to use the name there).  
One reason for the new name - they only had to buy 2 new letters (the L and i - just move the o in Town over next to the n - this being when the stores used signs that were individual letters).

This Food Town is a local, discount grocer I think. Another one is a former Albertsons.

wiseguy93

This Food Lion has been located here for about 20 years. Looks like it's doing good, it's the only supermarket in Gate City.

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

There was four Food Lion locations in Kingsport, Tennessee that I know of.

No# 240 Located off West Stone Drive at 800 Stonegate Plaza between a Wal Mart and a CVS closed in the late 1990's and now the whole shopping center has been torn down and the lot is vacant.

No#303 located in the Kings Giant Plaza. Right off Stone Drive.I'am not sure of this location was a former Giant Supermarket. I know one of the other anchors was Kings Department Store. WIth the name of the center makes me think if there was a Gaint Supermarket there, they were in the Kingsport Area. But this Food Lion is now closed and the shopping center is all gone replaced by doctor's office for Wellmont Holtson Valley Hospital. this food lion was  trimed in blue and had blue letters.

An Food Lion located at South Gate Shopping Center on Sherwood Drive right off from Fort Henry Drive across from the Fort Henry Mall. This one was there for about 20 years. Now it's shut down and a Just Store It Climate Control storage center is located there. It was trim in blue and had blue letters.

the fourth Food Lion was located in the Colonial Heights area of Kingsport near Interstate 81. Located at 4303 Fort Henry Drive, this Food Lion closed several years ago. Became a Fred's for a couple of years and now it's vacant.

wiseguy93

Food Lion was located on Sherwood Drive right off from Fort Henry Drive right across from the Mall. Food Lion was there for about 20 years now a Just Store It Climate Control storage unit.

wiseguy93

Located at Lakeside Marketplace
1467 Eaton Ferry Road
Littleton, NC 27850

wiseguy93

A former Food Lion in Lebanon, Virginia. Now home to the  Russell County Justice Center.

XDeSuEhTX

Don't see why Food Lion gets such a bad wrap. Went there yesterday and bought some cat food and some junk food. Their prices are not bad when you use their card system.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

wiseguy93

A former Food Lion that shut down back about two years ago. Now a Tractor Supply.

wiseguy93

Another Food Lion closed in Kingsport. There was four locations and they are all closed. This one located right off Interstate 26 on Stone Drive in a shopping center called Stone Gate Plaza. It was anchored by a Wal-Mart and a Cvs Pharmacy. Wal mart moved down the road to a new supercenter, The shopping center is now torn down.

wiseguy93

Winchester Food Lion to Close

A local Food Lion store is one of 15 "unprofitable" stores in the chain closing nationwide.

The Food Lion on Pleasant Valley Road in Winchester will close on or before February 19th.

Around 40 people will lose their jobs because of the closing.

A company spokeswoman says there are five Food Lions within a three to five mile radius of the store that is closing.

MikeRa

Quote from: thedisneystore967 on February 11, 2008, 05:54:13 PM
In Maryland, Food Lion entirely discontinued their own name, and opened two sorts of stores. Bottom Dollar is the cheapo, no frills, "bring your own bags and help the environment"-type place, and can PROBABLY be compared to Save-A-Lot.
Bloom, on the other hand, is an expensive, large, traditionally high standard grocery store, and I suppose can be compared to Hannaford, although I've never seen one of those myself.

There's a Bottom Dollar near the I-370 interchange on 355 in Gaithersburg, and a Bloom also on 355 in Rockville. (A quick note, Rockville Pike, Wisconsin Avenue, Route 355, and Frederick Road in Maryland are all the same road. With 4 different names, that is.) I'll try to snap pics of both next time I drive by. Only outside pics, though. The Tri-City area of Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Germantown has a strict (actually, strict would be an understatement) policy, and encourages everyone to report anyone taking photos inside of a retail-usage building. Luckily, this doesn't apply to CLOSED retail buildings, but it severely restricts what I can take indoors photos of.
The "Bottom Dollar Food" name and stores are now in the Allentown - Philadelphia - Reading area for the first time.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

dmx10101

Pictures of closing Food Lion in Gainesville, GA. It was one of the ones announced on the most recent closure list.

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

giantsfan2016

Has Ahold made any changes to the Food Lion stores since Ahold and Delhaize got married?

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on January 18, 2017, 08:43:30 PM
Has Ahold made any changes to the Food Lion stores since Ahold and Delhaize got married?
I can't speak to Food Lion, but I haven't seen any Ahold influence infiltrating the Hannaford division. So far all the news at the corporate level has been about relations with vendors, which are a bit strained as a result of new initiatives.

MikeRa

Quote from: retailisking on January 18, 2017, 08:53:50 PM
Quote from: Marc B on January 18, 2017, 08:43:30 PM
I can't speak to Food Lion, but I haven't seen any Ahold influence infiltrating the Hannaford division. So far all the news at the corporate level has been about relations with vendors, which are a bit strained as a result of new initiatives.
Here is a list of Food Lion's brands, according to their website (https://www.foodlion.com/our-brands/):

• Food Lion
  • Nature's Place
  • Taste Of Inspiration
  • etos
  • Companion
  • CareOne
  • Always My Baby
  • Cha-Ching
etos, Companion, CareOne, and Always My Baby is Ahold's Foodhold brands.  Always My Baby is not sold at Hannaford

MikeRa

Food Lion and Hannaford's Guiding Stars program is now at Giant-MD, GIANT-PA, Martin's, and Stop & Shop