Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Hillsborough, NC.

http://goodling_outdoor.tripod.com/id48.html

storehistoryguy

Crawford

wasn't this the market chain investigated by 20/20 a few years back about improper food handling? Where are these stores located? Look like a Southern chain to me
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
wasn't this the market chain investigated by 20/20 a few years back about improper food handling? Where are these stores located? Look like a Southern chain to me

There stores are pretty scattered. They have stores in DE, FL, GA,  KY, MD, NC, PA, SC, TN, VA, and WV.
They shut just about all the the Florida stores down a few years ago. They are realy being hurt in MD and VA with Wal-Mart because both stores operate on the same kind of "Every Day low price" structure.

Food Lion is owned by the same company that owns "Hannaford" in the New England area and "Sweetbay/Kash 'N Karry" in Florida.

Some Food Lion stores are being converted to the "Bloom" banner, which is supposed to be more Hannaford-like and moving away from the cheap Food Lion format.

df559

When I was visiting an aunt in Florida I was in a Kash-N-Karry that was a converted Food Lion. It hadn't been remodeled in years (It looked almost exactly like the one pictured a bit further up in the thread, down to the broken up signage) and was a bit dumpy. At the time I was unsure what chain it had been, but poking around a bit I noticed some Food Lion inventory tags on the checkout stands. I don't think that store is open anymore.

beachgal26

We lived in Florida in the mid-80's and the Food Lion stores were just starting to open in select locations.  It was in the late 80's that there was an investigation as to their meat handling and 20/20 went undercover with footage of bad meat that was soaked in bleach and repackaged to mask the bad smell.    We moved from the area in the next few years and since there are no Food Lions in the Memphis, TN area, I was never sure if they had gone out of business or not.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford

There stores are pretty scattered. They have stores in DE, FL, GA,  KY, MD, NC, PA, SC, TN, VA, and WV.
They shut just about all the the Florida stores down a few years ago. They are realy being hurt in MD and VA with Wal-Mart because both stores operate on the same kind of "Every Day low price" structure.

Food Lion is owned by the same company that owns "Hannaford" in the New England area and "Sweetbay/Kash 'N Karry" in Florida.

Some Food Lion stores are being converted to the "Bloom" banner, which is supposed to be more Hannaford-like and moving away from the cheap Food Lion format.

The "Bloom" banner huh. Yeah, that definitely sounds like a Hannaford-like approach. Sounds very similar to Hannaford's Festival Style store.

d_fife

d_fife

here is the food lion in hagerstown md in kenley village

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/kenley.htm

d_fife

here is the food lion in hagerstown in st. james square

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/stjames.htm

Kmart4life

They are owned by Kash N Karry/ Sweetbay supermarkets

thedisneystore967

In Maryland, Food Lion entirely discontinued their own name, and opened two sorts of stores. Bottom Dollar is the cheapo, no frills, "bring your own bags and help the environment"-type place, and can PROBABLY be compared to Save-A-Lot.
Bloom, on the other hand, is an expensive, large, traditionally high standard grocery store, and I suppose can be compared to Hannaford, although I've never seen one of those myself.

There's a Bottom Dollar near the I-370 interchange on 355 in Gaithersburg, and a Bloom also on 355 in Rockville. (A quick note, Rockville Pike, Wisconsin Avenue, Route 355, and Frederick Road in Maryland are all the same road. With 4 different names, that is.) I'll try to snap pics of both next time I drive by. Only outside pics, though. The Tri-City area of Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Germantown has a strict (actually, strict would be an understatement) policy, and encourages everyone to report anyone taking photos inside of a retail-usage building. Luckily, this doesn't apply to CLOSED retail buildings, but it severely restricts what I can take indoors photos of.

wiseguy93

Here's a picture of a former Food Lion in Norton,Va only lasted about seven years.

wiseguy93

Food Lion was in Wise, Virginia opened 1983 it anchored part of the Wise County Shopping Plaza. Store open as a small store then about 1991 expanded into the former Rita Aid right beside of it. Food Lion close in 2006. Without any warning they just closed. Now part of it is a Tractor Supply and the other part soon to be Save O Lot. Which is moving from Norton, Va.

wiseguy93

Here's a picture of a former Food Lion located in the Community shopping center in Madisonville Tennessee closed June of 2008

wiseguy93

another picture before sign was removed. the store is 33,000 square feet.

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

Food Lion in Gallatin Tennessee just nort of Nashville. Located in the Sumner Place Shopping Center.

wiseguy93

Located in Livingston Tennesse which is in the county of Overton in Middle Tennessee.

wiseguy93

Food Lion in Tullahoma, Tennesse.

wiseguy93

Food Lion. Dam Neck Square Shopping Center Virginia Beach Virginia.

wiseguy93

Danville, Virginia.

wiseguy93

Food Lion in Rome, Gerogia.

wiseguy93

wiseguy93

Food Lion built in 1989

wiseguy93

Here's another Food Lion closed. Space for lease or sale. Also the Dawahares in the same shopping center will be closed Sept 30.

wiseguy93

Former Food Lion in Statesville North Carolina